No More Starbucks???

Ok, so I just started this myfitnesspal thing and well it looks like I can't have Starbucks for a while, even the skinny tall latte's have 13g of SUGAR. :-( I'm whining but I could have one if it was basically the only sugars I had that day. the regular tall latte with like caramel or vanilla have 38 g of sugar!! that is MORE than a day's worth of sugar - I am really shocked. I mean I knew they were bad for you, but they blow your entire diet. feeling....sad. 27 lbs to lose.

Replies

• weightlossdiva1219
    weightlossdiva1219 Posts: 283 Member
    Hey, it depends...I don't focus on mfp's micros for sugar, because you can eat 4 servings of fruit a day, and that would go over what their sugar count is. Focus more on calories and fat, carbs, and protein more than the other micros. you can still have one, maybe instead of every day, try 3 times a week and eventually cut back?
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Yeah, I really could care less about MFP sugar macro. In fact I seek it out pre-workouts.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    I also ignore mfp's sugar. I love Starbucks. I tend to buy the skinny versions, if only to save on calories so I can use them elsewhere but unless you have a medical condition that requires monitoring it, ignore it! A venti skinny mocha latte is life 18g of protein for 190 calories. This wins in my book.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    I tracked sugar for about 5 minutes - it is not an easy target to hit if you eat ANY fruit or ANY dairy.

That said - I often have a tall skim latte with one splenda as a morning snack. It is warm and filling and gets me a decent amount of protein. I try to stay away from most other drinks there - save an occasional skinny mocha.

I have significantly reduced my Starbucks, however, in order to save $. I bring k cups and good creamer to work and enjoy a delicious coffee break for much less ($ and calories).
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    FYI, the sugar in the skinny lattes are from the milk, not any added sugar.
  • Char_225
    Char_225 Posts: 8 Member
    This was my first biggest challenge. This is my first stop in the morning before work. Started off drinking a Venti Vanilla Latte (270 calories) ...then changed to a Grande Vanilla Latte (160 calories) now Im drinking a Tall nonfat skinny vanilla latte (60 calories 6grams of sugar) This is from the Starbucks website. It's hard but now I drink one Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Dont be sad just make some changes and it should all work out. Coffee is my biggest challenge yet but one day it will disapppear..
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Shut the front door! I am so far some lbs down and I have been enjoying me some tall skinny latte's, any size caffe americano's, any size plain coffee's, and short nonfat anythings. For some reason the sugar content has not interfered with my weight loss at all? I must be a spechelle snoaphleke.

starbucks-snow-elephant-small-52634.jpg
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Ha ha........I say eat whatever you want :-)
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    MFP sugar restrictions wouldn't allow you to have a decent amount of fruit, much less anything actually indulgent.

Ignore it. Turn the tracking off for it. Sugar = Carbs, which you're already tracking.
  • WOW!! thanks for the support and info everyone.... I appreciate it. I think if I do just once/twice a week it won't kill me I guess. I've already cut back a lot. and I used to do Herbalife shakes with fruit and that had a whole day's worth of sugar and now I'm giving those up for a bit. I'm so proud of you all who have lost weight! and who's the dude with the abs?!? are those yours??
  • MzLaLa29
    MzLaLa29 Posts: 258 Member
    I could care less about the sugar as well. But this article was posted on on fitsugar recently. Check it out...
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Healthiest-Starbucks-Drinks-Fall-25589103
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    I'm not understanding the topic? 'No Starbucks' does not make sense to me :drinker:

My white mochas are 350 cals and alot of sugars. So far, I lost 40 lbs without giving them up. You will have to pry them from my cold dead hands......Not gonna do it!!
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    WOW!! thanks for the support and info everyone.... I appreciate it. I think if I do just once/twice a week it won't kill me I guess. I've already cut back a lot. and I used to do Herbalife shakes with fruit and that had a whole day's worth of sugar and now I'm giving those up for a bit. I'm so proud of you all who have lost weight! and who's the dude with the abs?!? are those yours??

Those are actually MY abs. I let him borrow them on alternate Wednesdays.
  • NewKeriSept2014
    NewKeriSept2014 Posts: 170 Member
    WOW!! thanks for the support and info everyone.... I appreciate it. I think if I do just once/twice a week it won't kill me I guess. I've already cut back a lot. and I used to do Herbalife shakes with fruit and that had a whole day's worth of sugar and now I'm giving those up for a bit. I'm so proud of you all who have lost weight! and who's the dude with the abs?!? are those yours??

Those are actually MY abs. I let him borrow them on alternate Wednesdays.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: !!!
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Most of the consensus will tell you to just watch the Cals, Proteins, Fats and Carbs. It has been my experience that if you mostly track these 4 items most everything else works itself out.
  • jack1925
    jack1925 Posts: 186 Member
    I havent had starbucks since September 30th.... i swore it off when i swore off going over 100 carbs daily... over half of my limit would have been spent on a tall caramel frapp!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Unless you're diabetic or have another specific medical condition related to blood sugar levels, sugar is just a carb. Carbs aren't evil.

As far as Starbucks is concerned. . . FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    You don't have to give it up!
    I've just found that it's not really worth the calories anymore. I am just as happy with a plain coffee and creamer as I am with my former fave starbucks drink. It saves me a little money too :D
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Can I add my two cents as a diabetic? I don't track my sugar at all. Overall carbs yes. Carbs per meal yes, but not sugar per se. Sugar is a carb, and as long as I am eating and drinking less than 60 grams of carbs per meal, I'm good. I've lost over 30 lbs, and have the room in my routine for a latte now and again.

ETA: Oh, and my HgA1C is at 6, which is well controlled for a diabetic. (a few months ago it was much higher - at 9 which is crazy).
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    I have a trim (skinny) latte every single morning with vanilla in it. I ask for 'half' vanilla or a single pump, and factor in the 100 calories.

You don't have to cut anything, except for going overboard with caloric intake.