Water Consumption on Workout Days

Options
Hey all! I have been doing pretty good with hitting my 8 glasses a day! My trick is to put a little bit of pure pomegranate juice in with the water to give it a flavor without all the artificial sweeteners.

Here's my question though- how much more water do you guys consume on days when you workout?

Replies

• poodlepaws
    poodlepaws Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I try for 10-12 glasses a day no matter what since I exercise 5 days a week but I probably drink another 24-32 oz. during my workouts in that 10-12 glasses a day
  • reggaegirl02
    reggaegirl02 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey...I'd like to know the answer too! :-)
    I try to drink half my weight in ounces (per day)...I read that somewhere, don't know how true it is though. :-/
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hey...I'd like to know the answer too! :-)
    I try to drink half my weight in ounces (per day)...I read that somewhere, don't know how true it is though. :-/

i read that to so i drink 88oz/day. Then drink additional water (that varys in amounts) while i work out.
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I always drink atleast 3 liters of water a day and usually more than that.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I shoot (and almost always reach) for 12 glasses (96 oz) but on the days where I run more than 6 miles, I try at get at least 16 (128 ounces). The half your weight thing isn't really a good measure...if that was so 128 ounces is more than my weight.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,425 Member
    Options
    I throw in another 2 large bottles of water during and immediateyl after my workout.
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I have never really paid attention. I drink when I am thirsty. It's never been an issue.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I read the half your weight thing recently. It was 50-75% of your weight in ounces depending on how active you are, altitude, what you eat...
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I have never really paid attention. I drink when I am thirsty. It's never been an issue.

This is what I do. I just make an effort to drink water instead of other drinks, aside from my coffee! Gotta have my coffee in the morn.
  • semperfiwife
    Options
    I typically drink 96 ounces a day as well. On my workout days, I tend to drink a little more (during the workout), but my body has gotten used to drinking more so now I crave it. I read in women's health that hydrated people tend to be able to perform 17% more reps during a work out, so I try to stay as hydrated as possible before and after a workout. Hope this helped. :)
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    k i just copy and pasted this from google...makes sense to me :) hope it helps!!! i know i learned a thing or two! :)

A good estimate is to take your body weight in pounds and divide that number in half. That gives you the number of ounces of water per day that you need to drink. If you exercise you should drink another eight ounce glass of water for every 20 minutes you are active. If you drink alcohol, you should drink at least an equal amount of water. When you are traveling on an airplane, it is good to drink eight ounces of water for every hour you are on board the plane. If you live in an arid climate, you should add another two servings per day.
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I work out everyday and always have 12 glasses of water.
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Here is a video from msn health.

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/video.aspx?t=v&vid=18476c67-011b-49aa-a432-49d8464b305a&tab=Harvard&from=en-us_health

Basically they say it is a myth that you need 8 glasses per day and that most people don't get enough.