Who Eats Clean?? or vegetarian...or vegan?

Options
Hi everyone!

I have been seeing several people talk about eating "clean". What does that mean? (you don't have to give a ton of details as I know I could google it.) How has that worked for you?

Also to my vegetarian and vegan friends.... How did you start this? I'm considering it... I don't want to be a person who begins living on bread, chips, and macaroni though.....

I'm afraid of the change, but would like to consider these options. I've currently been switching to organic as much as possible. It seems like grocery stores are limited in this department, but I am slowly finding more things.

Any help is completely appreciated. I have already heard the suggestion to read the book "skinny B##ch"

Thanks again.... Looking forward to hearing from you and seriously thank you for your time.

Replies

• mandylwilson
    mandylwilson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am a clean eater. It started as a book by Tosca Reno that emphasized the importance of eating non white, non processed, whole and healthy foods. It is a simple common sense approach that really makes a difference. Check her book out!

I am also going vegetarian, and am slowly cutting out meat over the weekend. I like meet, but I feel so much cleaner and healthier when I don't have it. I also love tofu!
  • tsgna83
    Options
    I started eating vegetarian about 1.5 years ago, when I was 26 years old. I was trying to get into shape for my wedding, and picked up the book "Skinny *****" having no idea it was vegan/vegetarian. I simply wanted to get in shape!
    Needless to say, I read the book, and was very influenced by it. I started doing research on vegan/vegetarianism. I also talked to my friend who had been a vegetarian for a few years. I decided that I wanted to try out a vegetarian lifestyle (never really wanted to do the vegan thing). I just stopped eating meat, basically.
    I would consider myself a laid back vegetarian, in that I do not eat beef, chicken, pork, etc., but do eat eggs, milk, fish, and even some chicken broth, etc. (just no chunks of meat!). I lost a few pounds, but nothing substantially. I have done a lot of research on the health benefits of eating vegetarian though, so decided to stick with it, at least for now. I did chunk up over the winter and gained about 10 pounds from eating too many carbs.
    I am still learning a lot on how to have balanced meals and get plenty of nutrients. But fruits and veggies do a lot of that for me!
    Good luck!
  • MTDork87
    MTDork87 Posts: 205
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for gosh... 13 years? Yikes! I do no meat at all - no fish, no poultry, no nothing. I do eat eggs and I do eat dairy products. My decision came when I was very young (obviously as I'm only 23) and it was for animal ethics reasons. I volunteered at a zoo and had a hard time with the hypocrisy of worrying over our petting zoo animals all day while I went home and ate their brothers. As I got older I did more research which lead me to the way I eat now. I never really liked red meat so that transition wasn't hard, I really loved chicken and miss it occasionally but I really don't agree with how they're cared for in the slaughtering process, and the fish thing had more to do with impact on ecosystems than anything else. Anyway, my eggs and dairy are cage free and organic so I try to stay true to my principals.

All that being said, there are REALLY healthy ways to be vegetarian and REALLY unhealthy ways. In high school, I slipped into the REALLY unhealthy one. Basically, for me, it comes down to keeping track of a protein to carb ratio. If I'm going to have a lot of carbs, then I'll have to have a lot of protein that day. If I can't get the protein, I can't have the carbs. That's how I keep myself in check now. Also, finding fun ways to get protein has become the front line of the battle for me. I love tofu, edamame, cage free eggs in everything, and nuts. Greek yogurt is great too.

I've had a lot of successes and a lot of failures at being a healthy vegetarian. My advice is to go for it as long as you're ready for the commitment to food you'll have to make to keep yourself healthy. Without preaching, I suggest you do it :-)
  • gettinfitby30
    Options
    My friend is a personal trainer and she swears by the book, eat clean diet, calls it her bible, she looks great. She is the one that inspired me to start researching and figuring out what works for me. Grateful to have her as my friend. I told her I wanted to have a butt like hers and she laughed and said "you will never know what you could have unless you try to get it". I told her "good point".
    Now, I try everyday, not giving up, staying positive and keep pushing. Feeling great.
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    thanks for the responses as I'm very new to this idea. I'm learning as I go. I appreciate any help I get.
  • missspacecadet
    Options
    I'm a macrobiotic vegetarian. :) I just started a couple weeks ago, but let me tell you, you really won't miss meat at all. It's WAY to oily and fattening. ESPECIALLY RED MEAT! So gross..

Your diet wil not be limited, and you will find that your taste buds will become a lot more sensitive. Eating an apple for me now is like eating candy.

So I say, do it. You won't miss out on any "key" nutrients. There is peanut butter, tofu, beans.

Also, try to cut butter out completely. It's disgusting to me now. You don't need it. :)

You will feel a LOT better!

(I haven't caught a cold at all this year) And my family has gotten sick multiple times, and a ton of my friends.

Also drink tons of water. I usually try to drink at least 10 cups a day.

I also drink a lot of tea, burn incense. Surround yourself in positive energy.

Do yoga! I love it I just recently picked it up. (I downloaded an app on my iPod with poses)
    This is not dieting, this is your lifestyle. :)
  • PoshTaush
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm nervous about this change b/c my husband will definitely NOT do this with me. He grew up on a cattle farm.. Soooo.... giving up beef is probably out of the question. For now at least.

I guess I am thinking of starting slowly by first eliminating Beef and Pork? Possibly butter as well just b/c of the fat/salt, etc.

I am very uneducated on foods like edamame and tofu... I am going to talk to my husband about this and see if he would support me in it even though it's not a decision he would make. I know I sound like a wimp, but I don't need his "permission" to do anything, but I just know that I would be much more successful with his support of course.

How do you cook for a family divided? Thanks!! Tausha
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Posh - since I have Celiac's, a lot of the times what my fiance & roommate eat is WAY different from me. They've sat down to hot dogs with cheese w/ mac &cheese on the side while I nibble on a salad or veggies and chicken, etc. Even when I go to my fiance's parents house for meals, although his Mom cooks some things I can have, I also always bring my own foods to eat just in case there is accidental cross-contamination.

I know this isn't totally the same as what you're getting at, but just know there are others out there who eat something different from everyone else at home. I don't feel bad, and everyone has learned to understand that when I'm more careful I am healthier. That is the key: you want to be healthy, you're working you way to it, and family/friends can learn to at least understand if not offer support :flowerforyou:
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I eat clean as much as possible... to me that means I eat "real" food and not something that has been boxed, frozen, or canned on a shelf for years... when you think about it... it is kind of (well to me it is) really gross to eat something that has a shelf life that is so long... the preservatives cannot even be pronounced and who knows what the long term effects on our bodies will be? So- for me that means I shop along the perimeter of the grocery store, I cook with a ton of spices and fresh ingredients. I can afford better quality things now b/c I'm not sabotaging my grocery bill with tons of processed "cheap" junk... a bag of Doritos is at least $3... so to say you cannot afford fresh produce is ridiculous if you will spend $3 on a bag of chips. Anyway- I eat lean meats and practice portion control. I like tenderloin steak and chicken breasts, shrimp, tilapia, lean pork, ground white meat turkey... I try to buy meats that are hormone free... I mean- why are little girls having their periods so many years earlier nowadays?? Maybe, just maybe, it has to do with all of the hormone filled food we are consuming...? Just *my* theory... lol. It grosses me out that you can buy a hamburger for less than a dollar... what kind of "quality" are you putting into your body? And when I say you- I mean ME- because this is exactly how I used to eat. My whole mindset has changed now.... and like a previous poster stated... when you detox off of all of the processed junk- you will me AMAZED at the flavors you will experience in "real" food... it is incredible. I eat more variety, more types of dishes, more everything now that I eat clean... it isn't boring and it isn't bland. I love it! I also love meat, dairy products (such as cheese- always hated butter), and egg whites. I only drink water b/c I like the taste- never have been a carbonated drink fan so I am lucky I didn't have that to deal with. My whole family enjoys the meals b/c they are fresh, clean, flavorful and shh... don't tell them- healthy! lol It isn't a diet- it is a lifestyle. I do get stares at the grocery store with my 5 kids in tow buying a cart full of fresh ingredients... but me and my family are priceless- worth a heck of a lot more than a $2 box of "pizza rolls."

Edit: I'm a part of your Christmas challenge...feel free to friend me if you want if I can help you in any way transition into cleaner eating... it isn't something that you have to go full on with right away... but small changes make big changes and after a while- it is the new norm and you won't even want to go back to eating processed/boxed/frozen "food."
  • JillTwiss
    JillTwiss Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating beef 19½ years ago, pork a few years after that, and poultry about 7 years ago (I never ate seafood). It was very easy for me because I never really, truly liked meat to begin with. I would imagine it would be much harder for someone who actually enjoys meat. I do eat eggs and dairy, but no meat, no gelatin, etc.

My husband is a carnivore. Luckily, he likes to cook his own food, so the only battle we have is who gets to use which pan or what temp the oven needs to be on.
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for...15 years? It wasn't a difficult transition for me at all initially. My sister and my best friend had become vegetarian just before I did. I spent a lot of time eating in a very unhealthy manner. I have known many fat vegetarians, contrary to popular belief, and at one point I weighed 250 pounds. Not that that was related to being vegetarian. I would have been fat, anyway. MFP helps a lot in regard to meal planning because I can enter my calories for all day in the morning and plan what I'm going to eat. It helps me to see where I'm heavy on fat or low on protein. I do most of the cooking in our household, so I do some double cooking. For thanksgiving there will be a turkey and two kinds of gravy, one vegetarian and one not. We might have hot dogs for dinner, some vegetarian and some not. If we're grilling, my wife makes herself a steak and me a veggie burger. Some things once my wife tried them, she started eating as well. We eat exclusively vegetarian sloppy joes, biscuits and gravy, and tacos. For the most part, I just make vegetarian side dishes with something else for her and try to come up with creative ways to get my protein. (I know I still don't get enough.) When your family starts seeing you eat differently, they'll eventually become curious. You may find that they like what you've made for yourself more than what you made for the family.
  • PoshTaush
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for...15 years? It wasn't a difficult transition for me at all initially. My sister and my best friend had become vegetarian just before I did. I spent a lot of time eating in a very unhealthy manner. I have known many fat vegetarians, contrary to popular belief, and at one point I weighed 250 pounds. Not that that was related to being vegetarian. I would have been fat, anyway. MFP helps a lot in regard to meal planning because I can enter my calories for all day in the morning and plan what I'm going to eat. It helps me to see where I'm heavy on fat or low on protein. I do most of the cooking in our household, so I do some double cooking. For thanksgiving there will be a turkey and two kinds of gravy, one vegetarian and one not. We might have hot dogs for dinner, some vegetarian and some not. If we're grilling, my wife makes herself a steak and me a veggie burger. Some things once my wife tried them, she started eating as well. We eat exclusively vegetarian sloppy joes, biscuits and gravy, and tacos. For the most part, I just make vegetarian side dishes with something else for her and try to come up with creative ways to get my protein. (I know I still don't get enough.) When your family starts seeing you eat differently, they'll eventually become curious. You may find that they like what you've made for yourself more than what you made for the family.

Wow... how do you make vegetarian sloppy joes? I am so new to this I'm completely unaware of how to cook protein alternatives. Thanks!!
  • PoshTaush
    Options
    To ALL OF YOU who have replied, will reply, and are being supportive, THANKYOU!!

I guess I'm nervous/worried about starting b/c it is all so new to me. I'm completely uneducated on alternative eating. I guess what I'm saying is I grew up in a "country" family where the meal is based around the meat and comfort foods abound.

I'm willing to learn, yet nervous to try. I sincerely appreciate all the love and support I feel here. Thanks again. I will keep you posted as to my progress. I have decided that as of TODAY...I NO LONGER EAT PORK!! There...said it.... it's done.

**wiping my hands clean...**

It's a start right?? THANKS!
  • pratrat150
    Options
    Hey Taush,

Congrats on giving up pork! That's a great first step.

I've been a vegetarian all my life. And I'm overweight. I am living proof that you can be an unhealthy vegetarian. I used to be a vegan for a year and a half. The first 3 months of which I was eating super healthy and lost 30lbs. Then, school started and I got busy and even though I was a vegan my weight loss plateaued and I even gained about 5 lbs back...all while being VEGAN! So, you can be a unhealthy vegan too!

My point is although its great to cut out things, the bigger battle is adding in things. Adding in fruits, veggies and whole grains is difficult. I am now making the commitment to a vegan diet (just started today, in fact) but a healthy one. (p.s. It took me a while to get started. I was excited to start up last week but didn't arm myself with the right tools- quinoa, veggies, blender, fruit. So, now, I am ready!)

Anyway, I would start your journey by adding in a meal or two of healthy vegetarian foods and increasing it slowly to be all your meals and snacks. Or start out with one day where you are vegetarian or vegan all day and slowly increase the number of days until its the entire week.

Pork is a great step though. You are helping yourself and the planet. Way to go!

Also, feel free to message me...I've fought this battle for a while and am just starting it up again. =)

P
  • newday75
    Options
    Hi there!
    I have been a veggie for over 15 years....I love it...I do fulltime animal rescue/rights work...

I would LOOOVE to talk to you about how this came to be....

I am now in the process of going Vegan...for Moral reasons and dietary reasons...

Today it is so easy to have a veggie lifestyle...there are so many faux meats and so much information online and so on....

What would you like to know???

~Chrissy
  • newday75
    Options
    Also I am active in Human Rights.....Having a Veggie or Vegan diet is extremly healthy and GREAT for the enviroment!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I started reading the book Food Matters about three weeks ago, and on the first Monday made the decision to get started as he suggests...."vegan until dinner."

For me its got nothing to do with animal rights, etc. just simply something I have always pondered, eating vegetarian or vegan, and this was a good way to try it out. Well actually once I read in the book the impact I can have on the environment simply by changing two meals a day at my house, that got me.

I've been doing it going on three weeks now. No meat, dairy, etc. until dinner time. It wasn't hard at all and I havent' wished for cheese, etc. during the day. All my sugar cravings are gone too. And I find that I really look forward to dinner, whatever the meal may be, and no longer look forward to the dessert I used to have afterwards which is really awesome too.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Also - this month is Vegan MoFo month on foodblogs, and many bloggers are posting vegan recipes. Do a simple search for Vegan MoFo recipes on the internet and you will find that there are many great ones that are tasty and simply to prepare.
  • stephijames
    stephijames Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've also been slowly working my way towards a vegetarian/vegan clean eating lifestyle. I have been doing "vegan until dinner" this past month, and it works well (for me). I drink green juice in the morning (kale, lemon, ginger, beet, celery, cucumber, etc), eat more salads throughout the day, and then have a cooked meal at night. I've cut out all processed foods, sugar, sodas, and even dairy. I've never felt better :)

I think that realistically it should be done in stages, so that you never feel deprived and want to go back to the old unhealthy eating habits. I just ordered the book Skinny B*itch, and am excited to read it.

One book I do love, and really has helped me transition to a healthier lifestyle, is the book The Raw Food Detox Diet by Natalia Rose. She is a strong advocate of the slow transition, and offers up "transition foods" to substitute for unhealthy ones. She even incorporates wine and chocolate in the diet, who can argue with that? :drinker:

Eating clean isn't really that hard, it is just learning a new habit :happy: