Tattoos after weight loss?

Options

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    That's the plan, to turn it into a four leaf clover, but IDK how well stretch-marked skin will accept a tattoo.....anyone know?
  • Bikeminx
    Options
    How long has it been after the stretch mark appeared? Usually with scars (which is what a stretch mark is) they want you to wait at least 2 years for it to settle down. As long as you don't want something thin or detailed going through the mark, so something completely covering it instead, it should be okay. The tattooist will advise you though. The only problem with stretch marks is sometimes the ink can bleed into it, so if you have a line going though half of the mark it can bleed into the non tattooed part of the stretch mark. Hope this helps :) x
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    it's been easily 5 ys+ since it appeared. And I have been losing nice and slow so hopefully I won't have saggy skin when I'm done. I still have al least 30 more lbs before I'd even consider re-doing the tattoo, so I have lots of time to find a great artist :happy:
  • maureensm
    maureensm Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have one that covers most of my left upper arm, a entire back peice, chest, and a small one on my hip. I got most of them done when I was overweight. After losing the weight, I haven't noticed any difference. I should also mention that I've gotten pregnant and had a baby as well and noticed no difference. I think it depends on the size, location, and individual so it's tough to say.
  • pinkissheek
    Options
    Well the one on my bikini line is not small but not huge either, I plan on maintaining after I lose so worse comes to worse I give in and turn it into a tribal cover and run it from my bikini line up my ribs (ouch! i already have one there and it hurt like hell!) but i will not let it look like crap lol.

Hey I saw the little 12 pounds of christmas thing on the bottom of your signature...what is that?
  • lozf85
    lozf85 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The only tattoo of mine (and I have four) that seems to have had any change due to ups and downs in weight has been the one across the front of my hip. It has some quite intricate writing, and a couple of the loops look a bit different to when I got it but that could also be put down to the natural aging of the tattoo. As long as your weight loss is gradual I think you should be fine.
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Well the one on my bikini line is not small but not huge either, I plan on maintaining after I lose so worse comes to worse I give in and turn it into a tribal cover and run it from my bikini line up my ribs (ouch! i already have one there and it hurt like hell!) but i will not let it look like crap lol.

Hey I saw the little 12 pounds of christmas thing on the bottom of your signature...what is that?

Search H20 12 pounds of Christmas :) We started out "H20" as a group to lose 20 lbs by Halloween, now we are trying to lose at least 12 lbs by Christmas!!! It's a great group, check it out or add me as a friend... or both.
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    :bigsmile: :
    When I reach my goal...I am getting a tattoo. Big ol' polynesian one on my shoulder!

Im getting my pather covered up and a chinese dragon snaking around my arm over my shoulder full sleeve baby ! I was getting this before I started losing weight but now will look much sweeter

that's slick, i'm going to get a pond on the lower half of my back with three lotus flowers floating in them...and on the right side of my back is going to be a huge phoenix (in asian culture the dragon is the ying and the phoenix is the yang...male and female) i think that will go well with the water fall that's on the left side already :bigsmile:

They also use a dragon and a tiger as yin and yang to symbolize heaven and earth. All my tattoos are asian influences :)
  • Helinah26
    Helinah26 Posts: 288
    Options
    when i lose all my my weight and reach my goal i plan on getting a tattoo of a purple rose blossoming :) on my left or right shoulder.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I got one when I was 19 and probably somewhere between 180-200 pounds..it was across almost my whole lower back...got up to 260 and now 26...it looks the same just lots of extra space on each side. Curious to see how it takes as I shrink back down. So far so good. The ones on my feet and ankle haven't been affected at all.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I had a trampstramp before weight loss and before kids so it's stretched with the weight gain. To my surprise, it looks a lot better now, color is more rich, I guess because the surface area shrank :laugh: I got a 'reward' tattoo on my leg back in March, I've lost weight since then, legs toned up & it, too, looks better now than when I got it. Although my 2 are just black without fine details...not sure how those would be affected.
  • apeman
    apeman Posts: 82
    Options
    For the most part mine have just gotten tighter and smaller as I've lost. I drop 50 last year and my 1/2 sleeve and chest pieces didn't really do too much but my back piece really got smaller and crisp. I have lots of friends who have never had problems (with good tattoos) moving or stretching during pregnancy so I would expect that 'good' tattoos probably aren't impacted much in that way.
  • xxPeppaxx
    xxPeppaxx Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have 4 tattoos - and I've always been heavy, so I've strategically placed them lol. I'm looking forward to being able to get a "tramp stamp" on my lower back when I'm at my goal weight!! I have never gotten one because I really didn't want any eyes drawn to fat rolls!! LOL! :-p

TRAMP STAMP !!! Can't wait for goal either lol!!!
  • Lyndzo
    Lyndzo Posts: 142
    Options
    I have a "tramp stamp" on my lower back. I'm hoping it doesn't get too bad when I'm smaller. If not, I'll still love it just as much because it's an "in memory" tattoo.
  • CelticWarrior
    Options
    That's the plan, to turn it into a four leaf clover, but IDK how well stretch-marked skin will accept a tattoo.....anyone know?

clover.jpg

that is on my shoulder blade, where most ppl never seen it, or some may have forgotten it since been long time I walked around without a shirt on .lol I got most of my tats about 15-20 years ago about when it really wasn't as popular as it is now days. So I have some big tats to get .............
  • encourageurself
    encourageurself Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Where do you post your mini weight loss goals at?
  • kuntrygurl
    Options
    I have a tramp stamp, also, and I am hoping it still looks good after I lose, we shall see. Also one on the inside of my left wrist, but not too worried about that one...
  • amylouisem
    amylouisem Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i have a huge one going from under my bust to my hip and its moved upwards as ive lost weight, and a star on my hip which i had when i was 16 and much smaller - it dissapeared as i put on weight because my belly covered it :( but now its getting more visable and looks more in the right place if that makes sense lol
  • michaelsdavies
    michaelsdavies Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    All mine are fine after 118lbs lost - I'd say they look even better, colour looks fuller. Having said that, They're all shoulder/arms/lower leg, so I couldn't tell you about stomach area, sorry!
  • nomoremuffintopness
    Options
    Wondering for those of you who have tattoos how they were affected by your weight loss? The ones on my shoulders/lower back I'm not worried about but the one on my bikini line after weight gain, pregnancy, and not weight loss I am concerned may not take all those changes well...

I have 10 tattoos and I just had a baby; the only one that looks a little different is the one on my side hip. It got bigger as I got pregnant, but now its shrinking and looks fine again (its lyrics). Before I got pregnant, I had lost 35 pounds and none of them changed either
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!