Worried & Scared

Options
I ran my 1st 10k Sun and had plans to train for a 1/2 marathon in April, and then train for a triathlon later next yr. Monday the Ortho dr told me he thinks I need surgery on my hip.. I have an appt w/ the surgeon he's recommending next month. I don't really know what to expect... I don't know what I'm suppose to do for exercise after the surgery. What if I gain a ton of weight back? What about my goals? I always get up early and am busy doing stuff but I stayed in bed until 1p today.. I'm worried I'm slipping up. I'm trying to stay positive but I'm struggling

Replies

• rachelamber_x
    rachelamber_x Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hip surgery can decrease mobility quite a lot, you have to expect being sedentary for a bit, and maybe putting some weight on.
    However, after surgery calorie requirements go about 10-20% higher due to the body taking time to heal itself, so if you eat the same there will be a deficit there.
    Also, I'm sure your doctor will be able to recommend exercises you can do safely without hurting yourself. Swimming is always a good one because it isn't weight bearing.

The main thing is, if you need the surgery have it and let your body recover. You seem like a pretty active person so you should heal fairly quickly too.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity and not trying to pry- I noticed you lost a lot of weight. Is the hip thing since you've lost the weight, or is it something you have always had trouble with? I ask because I have aches and pains my in my joints now that I DIDN'T have when I was morbidly obese. I'm seeing a PT in a couple weeks about shoulder pain and I have had hip pain as well, though it seems to have gotten better.

I hope all turns out well and you are back running soon! Joint surgery is not what it was even 5 years ago. Recovery is much easier.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    Hip surgery can decrease mobility quite a lot, you have to expect being sedentary for a bit, and maybe putting some weight on.
    However, after surgery calorie requirements go about 10-20% higher due to the body taking time to heal itself, so if you eat the same there will be a deficit there.
    Also, I'm sure your doctor will be able to recommend exercises you can do safely without hurting yourself. Swimming is always a good one because it isn't weight bearing.

The main thing is, if you need the surgery have it and let your body recover. You seem like a pretty active person so you should heal fairly quickly too.

Thanks.. I hope so!

Just out of curiosity and not trying to pry- I noticed you lost a lot of weight. Is the hip thing since you've lost the weight, or is it something you have always had trouble with? I ask because I have aches and pains my in my joints now that I DIDN'T have when I was morbidly obese. I'm seeing a PT in a couple weeks about shoulder pain and I have had hip pain as well, though it seems to have gotten better.

I hope all turns out well and you are back running soon! Joint surgery is not what it was even 5 years ago. Recovery is much easier.

Yes, it's since I lost weight. First they thought it was a strained flexor, 2nd opinion dr said bursitis... Wasn't either of those. Was referred to an Ortho dr and he found I had a torn labrum, and also thinks it's arthritis and FAI(femoral acetabular impingement). From what I've read, the exact cause of FAI isn't known but they think genetics and it usually occurs to athletes or really active ppl.

I also found out last Tuesday the dr thinks I have osteoarthritis in my hands and knees... This has happened since I lost weight. The dr told me all my exercise could've contributed to getting arthritis. Hope your aches and pains are nothing too serious!

Just turned 29 yest but feel like I'm falling apart! :(