DeToxing

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I'm going to get bashed for this but here are a few articles that I found interesting. I agree that our organs are completely capable of cleansing themselves HOWEVER we are no longer breathing in clean air. Most of the food products in stores are full of synthetic chemicals that our bodies are unable to digest. If our subsistence is majorly consisting of chemical-ridden calories, how could our body cleanse itself?

Detoxing was unnecessary when our calories came from natural foods made without preservatives, insecticides, or pesticides but now detoxing may very well be necessary...

A biochemist friend of mine told me she would never eat anything made in a lab. Just something to think about.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/detox-tips_b_1289488.html
    -Dr. Mark Hyman

http://draliciastanton.com/the-toxin-weight-loss-connection
    -Dr. Alicia Stanton

http://www.cbn.com/700club/guests/bios/drbarry_sears100108.aspx
    -Dr. Berry Sears

http://www.phoenix.edu/forward/perspectives/2013/11/are-environmental-toxins-making-people-fat.html
    Articles by "Drs." aren't usually good scientific evidence. Lots of info is skewed to their side of the argument so they can sell you a program.

Dr. Hyman sells detoxes.
    Dr. Stanton sells hormone treatments
    Dr. Sears sells a lot of BS

With the exception of the phoenix article, the others aren't peer reviewed research. Lots of pseudoscience. And even the phoenix article doesn't state that environmental toxins are the cause for obesity or conclusively states it's the cause for no fat loss.

Rely more on peer reviewed clinical studies rather than articles, blogs, and opinions of many "experts" who sell BS products or programs that one doesn't need to pay for.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kikilita
    kikilita Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You really won't find much support on MFP about detox because there isn't anything to detox. Your liver and kidneys always detox your body. Most of the detoxes are just very low calorie and low sodium diets. You can get the same results with lots of veggies and whole foods.

The best thing to do is get a food scale, weigh your portions and be meticulous about your tracking. With 30 lbs to lose, set your account to 1 lb per week and do a combination of weight training and cardio/HIIT. WT will help maintain your muscle and the cardio will allow you to eat more calories.

Appreciate this. I've been trying for two years now and I've only ever lost weight when I get on birth control pills. I have a food scale, I just don't make good use of it. Been doing Jillian's 30 Day Shred.

Not sure if the account is set to 1lb per week, will check my settings. Thanks!

Do you have any medical conditions?

Here is what I would suggest:

1. Do 4-6 weeks of tracking all food (on your scale), while having your account set to 1 lb per week and lightly active (do not eat exercise calories as lightly active compensates for your exercise
    2. Adjust macro's to 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats (allows you to hit 1g of pro and .35 of fats per lb of lbm
    3. After 4-6 weeks, if there is no weight loss, evaluate a small reduction in calories or possible an eliminating diet. Before you do this, I would recommend posting again asking for more help.

(Don't know if mfp has multi quote)

Okay, I will definitely do that and adjust my macros as well. Super, SUPER happy to get such great advice, thank you SO MUCH! I do have pretty severe IBS. Am going to adjust my macros now and see what happens in the next few weeks based on it!

From discussions with my wife's GI doctor and a few articles, I have seen some evidence that would suggest a gluten free and possible lower carb diet would be beneficial for people with IBS. We discovered this while my wife was having some stomach issues caused by pancreatitis and working with her heart condition.

With that said, it might be better to try 30% carbs, 40% protein and 30% fats. And if you want, increase fats another 5-10% with a corresponding reduction to carbs.

I have actually cut out almost all gluten (sometimes there might be some in seasonings (the stuff to prevent from caking) that I miss and every once in a while I might have a flour tortilla instead of corn or a small slice of bread but I generally don't eat meat, gluten, or dairy products because of my stomach (yeah, I don't know why pounds aren't just falling off me, either, lol-- finally stopped drinking pop recently as I figured that was my last plateau). My stomach has improved a lot (mostly once I cut out meat and diary is when I saw the most improvement (I cut back on gluten quite a while ago). I appreciate all your input and have reset my macros and am excited to try something new and see if this time, maybe it'll work! (Really don't wanna rely on birth control for weight loss plus it makes me feel extreme anger all the time which is why I stopped it-- but that is when I lost my 12 pounds, same in the past, too). Can't wait to see how these new macros work out!
  • breasyd2
    Options
    I detox regularly, and I feel better than ever when I do. Try it, if you like how you feel, do it again. Doesn't matter what anyone says. I do what makes me feel good. I only do 2 days in a row, though, in order to be safe and not stress my body too much.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I detox regularly, and I feel better than ever when I do. Try it, if you like how you feel, do it again. Doesn't matter what anyone says. I do what makes me feel good. I only do 2 days in a row, though, in order to be safe and not stress my body too much.
    Same could be said for Oxycontin. Especially the part about "doesn't matter what anyone says". Anecdotes aren't evidence.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I'm going to get bashed for this but here are a few articles that I found interesting. I agree that our organs are completely capable of cleansing themselves HOWEVER we are no longer breathing in clean air. Most of the food products in stores are full of synthetic chemicals that our bodies are unable to digest. If our subsistence is majorly consisting of chemical-ridden calories, how could our body cleanse itself?

Detoxing was unnecessary when our calories came from natural foods made without preservatives, insecticides, or pesticides but now detoxing may very well be necessary...

A biochemist friend of mine told me she would never eat anything made in a lab. Just something to think about.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/detox-tips_b_1289488.html
    -Dr. Mark Hyman

http://draliciastanton.com/the-toxin-weight-loss-connection
    -Dr. Alicia Stanton

http://www.cbn.com/700club/guests/bios/drbarry_sears100108.aspx
    -Dr. Berry Sears

http://www.phoenix.edu/forward/perspectives/2013/11/are-environmental-toxins-making-people-fat.html
    Articles by "Drs." aren't usually good scientific evidence. Lots of info is skewed to their side of the argument so they can sell you a program.

Dr. Hyman sells detoxes.
    Dr. Stanton sells hormone treatments
    Dr. Sears sells a lot of BS

With the exception of the phoenix article, the others aren't peer reviewed research. Lots of pseudoscience. And even the phoenix article doesn't state that environmental toxins are the cause for obesity or conclusively states it's the cause for no fat loss.

Rely more on peer reviewed clinical studies rather than articles, blogs, and opinions of many "experts" who sell BS products or programs that one doesn't need to pay for.

IDEA Fitness member

The study also does not mention anything about 'detoxes' ridding you of any 'toxinz'.

OP: seconding the forget these shams and 'use a food scale' recommendation.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    So, I have finally gotten back on the bandwagon after becoming a bit panicky about the holidays (I haven't seen my mother in two years and she's planning a family portrait and I'm 20pounds heavier than last time I saw her and she has ALWAYS been super critical of my weight even when I was absolutely at a healthy weight-- she has been obese most of her life and I think she just doesn't want that for her kids but I don't thin she realizes that it really instills insecurity especially if you are already at a good weight).

Moving on, I picked up Woman's World the other day (because it had my favorite master chef, Chef Carla Hall on the cover) and inside it had a smoothie detox. I usually discount any WW "diet" because they have never seemed doable in my opinion. And I have always discounted detoxes because I have been the person who is CONSTANTLY hungry. Lately, this has changed (I became vegetarian, not sure if that's why). This WW smoothie, "the detox prescription" actually looks completely doable and looks like it would keep a person full throughout the day (three smoothies a day, plus almond milk-- smoothies consist of things like banana, pears, sweet potato, water, ice, kale, coconut oil, cinnamon) and for you to drink all the green tea and water as possible (and almond milk for a morning snack). Seems like filling smoothies and I have been drinking green and black tea off and on (although not always logging it).

So, has anyone had luck with detoxes? Are they as great for your body as some people claim? I've never actually done one before because it seemed crazy and I was always having the munchies (for whatever reason, this seems to have stopped recently).

don't call it a detox. call it what it is... meal replacement shakes.

if you're desperate to lose some water weight before Thanksgiving, you can lose several pounds just cutting way down on your calories. that's what happens when you fast, or go low calorie, or replace food with shakes (as long as the shakes are low in calories). i don't think the water weight loss will be noticeable in your picture and you'll put all of that water back on as soon as you return to eating normally, but if you wanted to do that for several days, it won't hurt you in the long run. you'll likely be hungry and end up eating a lot of food when you stop though (on Thanksgiving?).

all of these fad diets "work" for 7-21 days simply because you cut down on your calories and shed some of that stored water weight. this is why the weight loss industry "markets" these as 7-day or 10-day or 21-day crash diets. if you don't know anything about water stored with glycogen reserves, you'll step on the scale and think it works. then, on day 8 or 11 or 22 when you start eating normally again, you'll suddenly regain 5-10lbs of water weight.

you'll never see those women's magazines hyping a 90-day or 120-day diet because their readers don't want to know that there isn't a quick fix for being overweight.
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    So, I have finally gotten back on the bandwagon after becoming a bit panicky about the holidays (I haven't seen my mother in two years and she's planning a family portrait and I'm 20pounds heavier than last time I saw her and she has ALWAYS been super critical of my weight even when I was absolutely at a healthy weight-- she has been obese most of her life and I think she just doesn't want that for her kids but I don't thin she realizes that it really instills insecurity especially if you are already at a good weight).

Moving on, I picked up Woman's World the other day (because it had my favorite master chef, Chef Carla Hall on the cover) and inside it had a smoothie detox. I usually discount any WW "diet" because they have never seemed doable in my opinion. And I have always discounted detoxes because I have been the person who is CONSTANTLY hungry. Lately, this has changed (I became vegetarian, not sure if that's why). This WW smoothie, "the detox prescription" actually looks completely doable and looks like it would keep a person full throughout the day (three smoothies a day, plus almond milk-- smoothies consist of things like banana, pears, sweet potato, water, ice, kale, coconut oil, cinnamon) and for you to drink all the green tea and water as possible (and almond milk for a morning snack). Seems like filling smoothies and I have been drinking green and black tea off and on (although not always logging it).

So, has anyone had luck with detoxes? Are they as great for your body as some people claim? I've never actually done one before because it seemed crazy and I was always having the munchies (for whatever reason, this seems to have stopped recently).

don't call it a detox. call it what it is... meal replacement shakes.

if you're desperate to lose some water weight before Thanksgiving, you can lose several pounds just cutting way down on your calories. that's what happens when you fast, or go low calorie, or replace food with shakes (as long as the shakes are low in calories). i don't think the water weight loss will be noticeable in your picture and you'll put all of that water back on as soon as you return to eating normally, but if you wanted to do that for several days, it won't hurt you in the long run. you'll likely be hungry and end up eating a lot of food when you stop though (on Thanksgiving?).

all of these fad diets "work" for 7-21 days simply because you cut down on your calories and shed some of that stored water weight. this is why the weight loss industry "markets" these as 7-day or 10-day or 21-day crash diets. if you don't know anything about water stored with glycogen reserves, you'll step on the scale and think it works. then, on day 8 or 11 or 22 when you start eating normally again, you'll suddenly regain 5-10lbs of water weight.

you'll never see those women's magazines hyping a 90-day or 120-day diet because their readers don't want to know that there isn't a quick fix for being overweight.

"all of these fad diets "work" for 7-21 days simply because you cut down on your calories and shed some of that stored water weight. this is why the weight loss industry "markets" these as 7-day or 10-day or 21-day crash diets. if you don't know anything about water stored with glycogen reserves, you'll step on the scale and think it works. then, on day 8 or 11 or 22 when you start eating normally again, you'll suddenly regain 5-10lbs of water weight."

This is what I was just thinking too....that and those "detoxes" loosen everything up so you can void a little extra also making it appear as if it's working....Yep...quick fix.
  • biorach
    biorach Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    And even the phoenix article doesn't state that environmental toxins are the cause for obesity or conclusively states it's the cause for no fat loss.
    From phoenix article: “It’s not that these toxins are the cause of the obesity epidemic,” emphasizes Barbara Zorn Arnold, PhD, a research biologist and instructor in the environmental science program at the University of Phoenix Chicago Campus. “But they are turbocharging it.”
    Environmental toxins, she points out, can disrupt the body’s hormone functions, essentially “short-circuiting” receptors that help burn fat, and forcing the liver to focus on cleansing the body’s blood of toxins rather than fats.
    Zorn Arnold is quick to note that “there’s plenty of [cell] research still being conducted. In addition, some of this research is pretty new, and it needs to be corroborated with different chemicals. These toxins are not an excuse [for weight gain].”
    But, she adds, “there is recent evidence that … anything that has toxins in it increases weight gain. There have been some suspicions by scientists about this for the last 10 to 15 years, but it has taken research a while to catch up with the effects.”
    As I stated in my original post, this is just something to think about !!! :)
    Same could be said for Oxycontin. Especially the part about "doesn't matter what anyone says". Anecdotes aren't evidence.

IDEA Fitness member

[/quote]

Where are your credentials in microbiology, toxicology, or toxinology? You seem so angry and offended by people detoxing, why? I'm not trying to attack you, I'm just asking you to pull back a little. You come across as belligerent and I doubt you want that. You and I couldn't possibly know the FACTS because we aren't conducting studies on microbial toxins (totally assuming here). But! we can all agree to disagree without making each other feel inferior. Life's not that serious man, lighten up. :bigsmile:
    The study also does not mention anything about 'detoxes' ridding you of any 'toxinz'.

I don't think that I stated anything about these doctors or studies promoting detoxes. I was just surfacing these theories (or hypotheses). There is something going on with our bodies, fat cells, and toxins. To ignore or dismiss that is totally your decision. :wink:
  • Nmt100
    Nmt100 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    As we're talking about toxins you should probably be really worried about dihydrogen monoxide. Extremely dangerous stuff, inhaling just a small amount will kill you. It's the major component in most acids. In excessive quantities it will kill you. I mean dihydrogen monoxide is just water but the only thing that distinguishes a toxin from a harmless substance is the dose and route of a administration. The doses of things in food are controlled for a reason, your liver and kidneys exist for a reason. In other words just eat at a deficit and exercise as a lifestyle change rather than go on a fad diet.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    Assuming that we are exposed to all of these 'toxins' which we need to break down and excrete, why is semi starvation on a 'detox diet' going to allow the body to be more efficient? In fact, it will actually put additional stress on the body mobilising lipid and glycogen stores to supply energy for enzymatic reactions to detox the apparent 'toxins'. From a physiological/metabolic perspective, a detox diet makes absolutely no sense at all.
  • Petrapoo45
    Petrapoo45 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    ugh...there is a lot of controversy over this topic on this site. Here is my experience...

My hubby and I decided to do a 5 day juicing challenge. I wouldnt exactly say this was a "detox" per say, because we allowed each other to drink coffee every morning and a solid piece of fruit if you just couldnt take it anymore. but still it was a juice for breakfast lunch and dinner...basically whenever you started to feel hunger pains. By the end of the week, I was down 10 lbs. Now, to be clear...I dont think this 10lb really reflects a "true" loss. Im sure when everything is said and done it will probably be more like 4-5 lbs...maybe. But you know what, it really kept the guess work out of what to do for meals, made you feel great, awesome energy. the whites of my eyes hadnt been so white in a long time...I think its a great way to Kickstart a "real" diet.
  • biorach
    Options
    Assuming that we are exposed to all of these 'toxins' which we need to break down and excrete, why is semi starvation on a 'detox diet' going to allow the body to be more efficient?
    I know most people starve themselves on detoxes because they think that detoxing is a "cure all" remedy for obesity. But people are going to abuse every.single.thing that promotes "weight loss". So in answer to your question, it isn't!
    ugh...there is a lot of controversy over this topic on this site. Here is my experience...

My hubby and I decided to do a 5 day juicing challenge. I wouldnt exactly say this was a "detox" per say, because we allowed each other to drink coffee every morning and a solid piece of fruit if you just couldnt take it anymore. but still it was a juice for breakfast lunch and dinner...basically whenever you started to feel hunger pains. By the end of the week, I was down 10 lbs. Now, to be clear...I dont think this 10lb really reflects a "true" loss. Im sure when everything is said and done it will probably be more like 4-5 lbs...maybe. But you know what, it really kept the guess work out of what to do for meals, made you feel great, awesome energy. the whites of my eyes hadnt been so white in a long time...I think its a great way to Kickstart a "real" diet.

So glad you had a positive experience! I think instead of kickstarting a "real" diet, juicing can kickstart a permanent change in one's diet. I've done detoxes and juice fasts and love both because of the lightness I feel at the end of the day. However, I don't fast anymore. I have a juice (90% vegetable/10% fruit) before each meal and eat 1/4 of what I used to eat. I engage in light-moderate exercise simply because I'm lazy :tongue:. I've lost 40+ pounds in the last 2 years by doing this. I don't care that it takes so long for me to lose weight because I know now that I will never return to my old habits. Juicing (not to be confused with juice fasting) doesn't have to be a fad diet but it certainly can be for some people.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I don't think that I stated anything about these doctors or studies promoting detoxes. I was just surfacing these theories (or hypotheses). There is something going on with our bodies, fat cells, and toxins. To ignore or dismiss that is totally your decision. :wink:

And my point is...that, while possibly interesting, it is not relevant to the OP or the subject at hand.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Don't fall for it. Your body naturally detoxes itself.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    As I stated in my original post, this is just something to think about !!! :)
    It can be thought about, but really studies are what are needed to VERIFY whether or not theory or hypothesis of environmental toxins are affecting the weight of the general population.
    Where are your credentials in microbiology, toxicology, or toxinology? You seem so angry and offended by people detoxing, why? I'm not trying to attack you, I'm just asking you to pull back a little. You come across as belligerent and I doubt you want that. You and I couldn't possibly know the FACTS because we aren't conducting studies on microbial toxins (totally assuming here). But! we can all agree to disagree without making each other feel inferior. Life's not that serious man, lighten up. :bigsmile:
    Angry? Must be the "tone" you add when you read my posts. Try reading it in monotone setting. I could care less of people who detox want to believe it or not. I'm not going to change their minds. The information I put out is to inform those who may be looking at them and deciding if they are really what they are being advertised as. And feel free at anytime to provide a peer reviewed study showing that ingestion of supplemental products (not drugs) or food removes or deletes any toxin from the body.

IDEA Fitness member
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    These guys are all right about your body doing it naturally. In my opinion you can do your own cleanse at home, some cleanses are super pricey. For one day try eating only your fruits and veggies, some oils (coconut and or fish/omega oils) and flush with a lot of water. For that day before you eat something ask yourself if it is going to "clog" or "cleanse", generally eating a really clean diet that day would be best. You will feel awesome. Just make sure to get enough fruit in to keep your sugars up. I'm the type who will binge eat if my blood sugar gets too low. Good luck!!!
  • biorach
    Options
    And feel free at anytime to provide a peer reviewed study showing that ingestion of supplemental products (not drugs) or food removes or deletes any toxin from the body.
    Not sure if these are peer-reviewed but they are supported by Harvard and Vandy. Vanderbilt is a pretty large medical research school so I doubt they would promote something they thought was incorrect.

Harvard Extension School- Not promoting a detox fast but promoting a detoxifying lifestyle
    http://www.extension.harvard.edu/hub/blog/extension-blog/chemicals-lurking-your-food-detox-your-diet

and Vanderbilt <--- Instead of a food or supplement, as you asked for, Vandy promotes juice fasting to detox your organs
    http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/fast.htm
    "Fasting is a multidimensional experience in which total body transformation occurs. There are a wide range of metabolic changes and experiences. The benefits of fasting include heightened spiritual awareness and relaxation of the body, mind, and emotions. Many feel a sense of letting go of pain from the past and developing a positive attitude towards the present. During fasting, the body is able to clean out its system because it is not expending energy towards the digestive organs. The blood and lymph are detoxified. When fasting, the release of toxins from the colon, kidneys, bladder, lungs, sinuses, and skin clears out complications that have arisen from a bad diet and unhealthy lifestyle. (Haas)
    The lack of calories consumed during fasting has dramatic effects on the body's systems. Because of the lack of glucose consumed, the liver converts glycogen stores into glucose and energy. The brain and the central nervous system need direct glucose, so they must get it either from the breakdown of proteins or fatty acids. The body resists breaking down the proteins, so fatty acids, after being converted into ketones, become the primary source of energy. Ketosis is subdued by drinking plenty of fruit juices, which provide simple carbohydrates for energy and cellular functioning."

University of Denver- Yes, I am aware that they are selling a course.
    http://universitycollege.du.edu/courses/coursesdetail.cfm?degreecode=ppe&coursenum=0138&crn=1048
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Oh! I have been using this greatest Detoxing system ever. It's called the Hydrogen-Oxide Detox. You take a lot of this stuff, like anywhere between 8 glasses up to a gallon each day. It does miracles. Cleans everything out. Especially if you exercise and sweat a lot.

Careful tho, there are some side effects to Hydogen-Oxide if you take too much of this stuff too fast such as hyponatremia. But it works great. You may need to supplument or make sure you keep enough potassium, magnesium, bicarbonate, phosphate, and sulfate.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Hydogen-Oxide comes in many brand names. Poland Springs, Evian, Fiji, Dasani, Aquafina just to name a few. I think there are some store brand names too. I heard some work places even keep a big jug of this stuff in their designated kitchen areas.

Reasonable price.
  • biorach
    Options
    I surrender! Lmao:bigsmile: