Back Fat

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    As mentionned you cannot spot reduce. As your weight/Body fat will drop so will the fat in that area. There is no way to tell when that will happen as everyone loses weight differently.

To achieve that you need to eat at a deficit. Calories in vs calories out and cardio as very little to do with it as at the end of the day the calorie deficit will do the job.

As for ''toning'' that look is achieved by lifting heavy weights, it's called muscles. So you can do a combination of weights and cardio.
    Exactly, so what weight exercises should I be doing to "tone" this area?

you cannot work out fat.

you can only lose it or gain it.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Fork Putdowns and Dinner Table Pushaways.

^^For the win

ETA.. you can't spot reduce.. you just have to eat healthy and exercise.. your body will get around to shedding it in its own time, and there's nothing you can do about it..

no specific exercise for toning.. just do dead lifts, squat thrusts, pull ups, bench presses, ab work and watch your body change as it pleases.
  • boobeey
    boobeey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i would think reaching to the sky and as you bring your elbow down bring the knee to meet the elbow might help,also any type of exercise for the side would help
  • thunderstruck134
    Options
    The back fat you mention around the bra straps might just occur because you're wearing the wrong bra size. I had the same problem, then I retook my measurements and found out I was actually a cup bigger than I thought and that my band size was way too big. My back fat pretty much vanished once I wore the correct bra. I'm not saying you shouldn't work out, but it might just be something as simple as that. :bigsmile:
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    i would think reaching to the sky and as you bring your elbow down bring the knee to meet the elbow might help,also any type of exercise for the side would help

Uhhhh..... Wha.... Uhhhhhh...
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    The back fat you mention around the bra straps might just occur because you're wearing the wrong bra size. I had the same problem, then I retook my measurements and found out I was actually a cup bigger than I thought and that my band size was way too big. My back fat pretty much vanished once I wore the correct bra. I'm not saying you shouldn't work out, but it might just be something as simple as that. :bigsmile:

I'm jealous.. mine shrunk.. boooo

Uhhhh..... Wha.... Uhhhhhh...

Sounds like mountain climbers.. they're good. and umm.. oblique exercises???? I don't know how that would target back fat.. but they are good exercises anyway..
  • meskew87
    meskew87 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I saw this on Reddit. Tried it and it said I was a 34E! Went to Victoria Secret and it did not fit me at all. I must have done something wrong. Thanks for the tips!

Try going to a specialty lingerie store, or even something like Soma. VS unfortunately doesn't always have the best customer service in terms of truly fitting you in the right bra
  • asianmonkie
    Options
    I saw this on Reddit. Tried it and it said I was a 34E! Went to Victoria Secret and it did not fit me at all. I must have done something wrong. Thanks for the tips!

Try going to a specialty lingerie store, or even something like Soma. VS unfortunately doesn't always have the best customer service in terms of truly fitting you in the right bra

I'm going to try Fredericks. Maybe I'll have better luck there. In the meantime, I'm going running :D
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Dumbbell pullovers (straight arms, high chest). They also give you really great looking serratus muscles as an added bonus :D
  • fitbydons
    Options
    No such thing as spot reduce, eat well, eat properly, reduce processed foods, eat good fats (vital) mix up your cardio with some good solid weight training sessions 2-3 times a week.

Eating is key. Nutrition is what will make you lose weight/fat. If you don't eat enough your body won't release... simples. GO get em.
  • frankiedb
    frankiedb Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Fork Putdowns and Dinner Table Pushaways.

Lmfao!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yep. try a well fitting bra in terms of size and style. same goes for muffin top.

wearing the right size and style clothes for your body can make a huge difference
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    Cardio is always a good thing- don't believe anyone who says you don't need it. It's not only great for helping you to lose and keep off extra pounds, but it also strengthens your cardiovascular system as a whole.

There are exercises to target building your back muscles, and muscle helps burn fat. There are no exercises that spot-reduce areas of fat, as many people have posted before, but I truly believe if you develop (or continue) a healthy cardio routine (20-30 minutes 3-5 times a week) and do some exercises that target the upper back muscles (lat pullovers, back extensions, bent over rows with dumbbells- google these and you can find easy to follow videos online) your "back fat" will slim and your back muscles will become more defined. Don't buy into the mistaken idea that your back will suddenly look masculine and overly muscular- it takes HARD work and heavy weights to make that happen, so it's not going to happen to you accidentally as a result of you trying to tone your back.

Your bra will only cause your back to LOOK like you have back fat if your band size is too small. If I were you, I'd try the above steps first and then worry about getting measured for some new lingerie. ;)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    In.

..... Because I never miss out on a good back fat thread
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Your bra will only cause your back to LOOK like you have back fat if your band size is too small. If I were you, I'd try the above steps first and then worry about getting measured for some new lingerie. ;)
    or if your band size is too big
  • asianmonkie
    Options
    Cardio is always a good thing- don't believe anyone who says you don't need it. It's not only great for helping you to lose and keep off extra pounds, but it also strengthens your cardiovascular system as a whole.

There are exercises to target building your back muscles, and muscle helps burn fat. There are no exercises that spot-reduce areas of fat, as many people have posted before, but I truly believe if you develop (or continue) a healthy cardio routine (20-30 minutes 3-5 times a week) and do some exercises that target the upper back muscles (lat pullovers, back extensions, bent over rows with dumbbells - google these and you can find easy to follow videos online) your "back fat" will slim and your back muscles will become more defined. Don't buy into the mistaken idea that your back will suddenly look masculine and overly muscular- it takes HARD work and heavy weights to make that happen, so it's not going to happen to you accidentally as a result of you trying to tone your back.

THANK YOU!! THIS was the answer I was looking for!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options

There are exercises to target building your back muscles, and muscle helps burn fat. There are no exercises that spot-reduce areas of fat, as many people have posted before, but I truly believe if you develop (or continue) a healthy cardio routine (20-30 minutes 3-5 times a week) and do some exercises that target the upper back muscles (lat pullovers, back extensions, bent over rows with dumbbells - google these and you can find easy to follow videos online) your "back fat" will slim and your back muscles will become more defined. Don't buy into the mistaken idea that your back will suddenly look masculine and overly muscular- it takes HARD work and heavy weights to make that happen, so it's not going to happen to you accidentally as a result of you trying to tone your back.

It's not the answer though. You could do all of those exercises and still retain back fat. It's gonna come down to your genetics, calorie deficit and patience.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

It was the answer you were looking for- but it's still the wrong answer.

Those things work muscles. You cannot work fat.

You will lose fat through a calorie deficit and NO OTHER WAY.

Typically the fat leaves in reverse order of how you put it on. So if the back fat was the FIRST place you gained weight- guess what honey- you have a lot of fat to lose- because it will be the LAST to lose it. Sorry- that's the way it works- all those are great exercises- and good for you- and I highly recommend them- but they won't solve your problem.
    It's not the answer though. You could do all of those exercises and still retain back fat. It's gonna come down to your genetics, calorie deficit and patience.
    THIS
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    With women and muscles that often aren't used as much -- like lats -- I think adding in weights is probably worth a shot. I didn't look up the OP to see how much weight she had to lose, and of course a flabby physique may be totally due to BF. But with certain parts of the body, I do think flabby muscle tone can be greatly to blame. Triceps is another spot women more often need to start lifting for.

I do the pullovers I mentioned and they really rock. My bra fat was all flabby lats, though. I have a back problem, so they were way, way underused. (That lift works the lats without much trap involvement at all -- yay for me! Traps are my bad/flare-up spot).
  • THECaptainObvious
    THECaptainObvious Posts: 399 Member
    Options

This was my situation too. I was wearing a 40DD when I should've been wearing 42DD. After going to Soma, I now have the right size!