is just eating a calorie deficit enough? (pics included)

Options
2»

Replies

• jigglyone
    jigglyone Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    thx
  • jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same issue- my weight tends to stick to the belly area and I believe I'd have to be underweight to get a flat belly. I can get too skinny in the legs, butt and arms and still have a belly. However, I have read and have had the experience that eating monounsaturated fats (along with calorie restriction) helps. Nuts, olives & olive oil, avocados, dark chocolate, etc. help reduce visceral fat, which is the most dangerous kind for your health.

I've incorporated small amounts throughout my days and have seen a 13" loss in my waist over the last 6 months. I still feel like I have a big belly, but it's a definite improvement!

The other thing is, I know I need a tummy tuck to get the results I really want- there is just too much excess skin from having a HUGE baby. I don't think it will ever shrink back from that. My cousin has maintained a big weight loss for 5 years now, is pretty darn thin, and she still has excess skin in spite of regular toning exercises. So I don't think it's in the cards for me to have a flat, tight stomach unless I pay for it :(
  • jigglyone
    Options
    so the only resort is lipo?:cry:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

No, the most rational approach is to lose fat through caloric deficit, as stated many times in this thread.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

I don't think so. I think with a deficit and some form of weight lifting routine incorporating core exercises (squat, deadlifts, overhead press) you can see great results. It will take time and patience, however. That's what has been helping me. I'm not 100% but the past 5 months have been awesome. We're predisposed to lose in certain areas but the end results will look even better than just deficit alone.
  • jigglyone
    Options

I don't think so. I think with a deficit and some form of weight lifting routine incorporating core exercises (squat, deadlifts, overhead press) you can see great results. It will take time and patience, however. That's what has been helping me. I'm not 100% but the past 5 months have been awesome. We're predisposed to lose in certain areas but the end results will look even better than just deficit alone.

thx
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Sorry! I don't know how I managed to miss this thread until now. I would recommend reading this article: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • jigglyone
    Options
    ty
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Lift weights it really does help :) do strong lifts it is simple and really straight forward :D
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Let me solve this problem for you.

One of the hardest places to lose weight....even for bodybuilders....is right around that area.

You have that excess because your BF% is still too high.

Be patient and keep moving forward. You will eventually lose it. There is nothing you can do to target a certain area for fat loss. I'm sure you know that already. As your BF% gets lower....so will the fat accumulated in those regions.

You can also try using one of those exercise bands. They say it increases blood circulation (low blood circulation is the reason you lose fat slower in those areas). Other than that....patience is key grasshoppa.
  • tputsche
    Options
    Exercise plays a huge component in making your body look defined. You can go to your local gym or go to the Ymca they have great trainers, and lots of variety of classes. Look into Barre classes, they are great for all over toning. Working with weights, doing old fashioned crunches and don't forget your arms and legs . We get fixated on the belly, but when you lose weight it comes from all over, and you can keep reducing your body fat, but there is a term called Skinny fat, so you can be thin and not have great body form. If you increase or start exercising, you will notice that area starts to tighten up/ Which i assume is what your looking for. Maybe not a 6 pack but flatter. its gonna take work but you will see it. Some people with Large amounts of weight loss who also had the weight for a long period of time will have a tougher time with skin tightening, but you appear to increase your exercise, and its not apparent in the photo that its just loose skin. Keep up the weight loss, but make sure you don't go below 18 % body fat as a woman unless you talk with your physician.
  • jigglyone
    Options
    Let me solve this problem for you.

One of the hardest places to lose weight....even for bodybuilders....is right around that area.

You have that excess because your BF% is still too high.

Be patient and keep moving forward. You will eventually lose it. There is nothing you can do to target a certain area for fat loss. I'm sure you know that already. As your BF% gets lower....so will the fat accumulated in those regions.

You can also try using one of those exercise bands. They say it increases blood circulation (low blood circulation is the reason you lose fat slower in those areas). Other than that....patience is key grasshoppa.

thank you! so i should be patient and not lean into the idea of surgery, correct?
  • jigglyone
    Options
    Exercise plays a huge component in making your body look defined. You can go to your local gym or go to the Ymca they have great trainers, and lots of variety of classes. Look into Barre classes, they are great for all over toning. Working with weights, doing old fashioned crunches and don't forget your arms and legs . We get fixated on the belly, but when you lose weight it comes from all over, and you can keep reducing your body fat, but there is a term called Skinny fat, so you can be thin and not have great body form. If you increase or start exercising, you will notice that area starts to tighten up/ Which i assume is what your looking for. Maybe not a 6 pack but flatter. its gonna take work but you will see it. Some people with Large amounts of weight loss who also had the weight for a long period of time will have a tougher time with skin tightening, but you appear to increase your exercise, and its not apparent in the photo that its just loose skin. Keep up the weight loss, but make sure you don't go below 18 % body fat as a woman unless you talk with your physician.

thanks very much my friend!
  • jigglyone
    Options
    Yes, just be patient. Eat at a deficit, strength training helps.

ty