Looking for tips when making boxed cake mixes

Options
2»

Replies

• kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    A spice cake mix, and a can of pumpkin (not pie filling, but canned pumpkin) make a delicious, moist "fall" cake.
    I usually use a cream cheese frosting.
    And cupcakes to share at work are a great solution to having to store leftovers.
    Kaye
  • karijoeide
    Options
    You can freeze cupcakes, just don't frost them, I bake mine and put them in a gallon freezer bag, pull some out as needed and frost them then...sometimes I don't even frost them :)
  • fitbugfreak
    fitbugfreak Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    bump - I will have to try this! - Thanks
  • hockeymeggy
    hockeymeggy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This cake is delicious with just diet 7up and lemon cake mix. I use fat free cool whip as icing (it takes about half the tub to ice a 9x13 cake). Good luck!
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My hobby/side "business" is baking. You can definitely freeze the left overs. Wrap it up with two or three layers of your favorite plastic wrap and put it in the deep freeze. No problem at all. And enjoy your special occasion!:drinker:
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I know you are doing the lemon, but here are some tips for lemon and chocolate as well. With lemon or chocolate you can sub in light sour cream for part of the oil(if it calls for a quarter cup of oil, use 2 Tablespoons sour cream and 2 T oil) and you can also use coffee for 1/2 of the water on chocolate for a richer flavor.

When making the lemon cake you can buy lemon curd at the store and put a thin layer on the cake and then top with Cool Whip for a sweet and tangy flavor. If you make buttercream it freezes well, but the store bought frosting...not so much. Good luck with whichever way you go.
  • misskissmck
    misskissmck Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    when I saw this I was so excitded cos I was going to post about the soda... ....it not only works it makes a moist cake.....its amazing/
  • SusieCuteYay
    SusieCuteYay Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have modified box cake recipes by adding flour (whole wheat is better), and depending on what the foundation of the frosting is by adding cream cheese.