What should I look for in a weight-loss program?

Options
Hello Everyone!!!

I am new to this forum. I am experimenting with a lot of different ways to lose weight, and hope to learn more in this forum. I know that diets and exercise is important, but what would you suggest is the healthiest natural supplement to take to lose some extra weight?I am looking for a weight loss program because I have recently put on some weight in the last year, and I see A LOT of different programs, but I was hoping someone might have some good places to start. I have used a few before, but just want to hear what you all had success with so far. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    something that it's easy to implement in your life and that you can stick with for the rest of your life.

anything is good as long as you stick with it, so the question becomes can you stick with it? that's usaully why the cabbage soup and cayenne pepper in water "programs" dont work because no one can stick with that on a consistent basis.
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    First, I think you should read this article: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    I post it anytime a question like this comes up.
    Second, the one you should follow is the one that sounds like fun to you and the one that you will keep doing.
  • GrabacrPD
    GrabacrPD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Echoing what everyone has said...you have to see this not as a program but a lifestyle change. Find something you enjoy doing that is healthy and active. The main reason people quit is because they see it as a chore. Embrace a change and enjoy it. Your body will release those endorphins for your hard work!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Supplements are fine if you are deficient in some nutrient, but you absolutely don't need any supplements to lose weight.

I would recommend trying to look at it as healthy weight management, rather than a weight loss programme as such - try to create a lifestyle that supports you being a healthy weight, and that you can sustain long-term/permanently, because this doesn't end once you've reached your goal weight.

I would take it slowly, keep it simple and make small changes that you can stick with. The details you'll figure out as you go along. Just create a reasonable calorie deficit (if you only have 10 lbs to lose, then aiming to lose 0.5 lbs a week would be realistic and sustainable). Find some form of exercise that you enjoy doing, and go from there. Don't make any radical changes that you're not going to be able to keep up for more than a few weeks.

Also, check these out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1069275-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • rbenaperkins
    Options
    What about taking some weight loss product? Maybe fat burning products.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

No such thing as fat burning products (except in the minds of those who market them)........if they worked we'd all be using them.

Keep it simple......eat a balanced, nutritious diet with a modest caloric deficit and exercise regularly (the exercise may help with the caloric deficit but is intended to promote health and fitness; lift weights, run, swim, bike, play tennis, walk etc etc)
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Look for the tiny little asterisk on every bottle that says: use along with diet and exercise for best results. Then, leave the bottle at the store, and go exercise.
  • lissaann29078
    lissaann29078 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Fat burning products are a joke, just pay more attention to what your putting in your body and exercise as much as you can.
  • Wwinkel
    Options
    Water is the best supplement ever.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

You need a calorie deficit. Period. No need for a "program" no need for "products" or "belts" or the dr oz 9.99 special.
    Read the links posted. Count and weigh. Exercise for fitness. Rinse repeat.

It's not as exciting as "I'm on a program" and "supplement x really does it!" but it works long term.

Results > program or pills.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    One that allows you to maintain a consistent calorie deficit (either consciously or unconsciously) over a sufficient period of time for the least psychological cost.

How you choose to do that can be quite a personal thing however. Counting calories can be a good start however as it reacquaints you with reasonable portion size, stops mindless eating, helps you find the balance of food items that work well for you and your preferences. However, there are a myriad of other ways you could consider if you don't find it a good fit.

No need for fat burners / diet pills etc unless they give you a psychological boost to help you stay the course. Physiologically they are pretty much useless.
  • D8vidFitness
    Options
    There is no golden program..

If you're consistent with a good intensive 15 minute workout everyday of the week,

you will see drastic results.

Most programs like p90x or insanity niche isn't in anything unique they teach you, but it offers a program where you have to get up and workout throughout the week.

So take something fun you like to do, and stick with it.

Good luck!
  • crafterpaula
    crafterpaula Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    two yrs ago I lost 108 lbs and kept it off ! and how i did it was every time i platode i would change my diet and exersized everyday around 2 hrs aday ! i dieted between weight watchers , low carbing! , and counting calories ! and it worked for me it took me about two yrs but i got there! hope this helps!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    something that it's easy to implement in your life and that you can stick with for the rest of your life.

anything is good as long as you stick with it, so the question becomes can you stick with it? that's usaully why the cabbage soup and cayenne pepper in water "programs" dont work because no one can stick with that on a consistent basis.

^^^This.

That is why I don't restrict daily, but do the 5:2 calorie cycling. I don't like restricting daily. Some people do. Don't do anything too extreme and make the changes to your lifestyle one step at a time.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options

THIS.

ANY program works if one can stick to it. Problem is when goal is reached, almost all programs aren't sustainable for a HAPPY life for many. And that's the key: if you're happy with the eating plan for LIFE. If not, then don't even bother with it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ranita777
    ranita777 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :smile: hi everyone, I'm new here I barely started 2 days ago..I joined this group to be healthy..wishing everybody the best!:smile::smile:
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Whatever you stick to is what you should do. If it says things like "you'll totally lose a zillion pounds in a month!!!!" it's probably something to shy away from.
  • rbenaperkins
    Options
    How does cabbage soup and cayenne pepper in water "programs works? First time to heard it.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    How does cabbage soup and cayenne pepper in water "programs works? First time to heard it.

They don't. They were an example listed of rubbish diets that don't work.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Look for something that you can stick to. It also depends on your goals too. If you need a quick fix, ya sure L.A Weight Loss or U Weight Loss might work, but if you are looking for long term then its mostly hardwork and watching what you eat,