I was okay with everything else......................till this.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

My mom has always been my biggest fan. Even when I weighed 300 lb and she inadvertently helped me stay in denial about my weight problem. "You are so pretty" or "Those jeans are really flattering" or "You're lucky you're tall, you carry your weight very well"

That's how my Grandma was. I like the article though.
  • kirschkuchen
    kirschkuchen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    ^^^ This is why I don't ever post things like this. The point of the reprint was to be motivational and to encourage people to focus on leading a healthy and happy lifestyle, and to not just focus on weight. As far as I'm concerned, how much my 11 year old daughter weighs is absolutely a taboo topic, and it will continue to be. But that is my choice. To each their own.

But, I am curious who these people are that said sex, violence and drugs are taboo topics. I missed that one.

I was not trying to be negative, I just literally don't think it's good to make a taboo out of anything. It was an interesting read, btw, so keep posting.

I live in a country where violence is edited out of tv-movies because of the children. There are lots of countries where nudity is taboo because of the children. In my home, drugs were a topic that couldn't even be discussed without my parents getting angry. I don't think any of these things are helpful and lead to well rounded, independent adults.

My job as a mother - as I see it - is to prepare my children for the real world and give them the tools to get through life healthy and happy. For girls and women of every age, weight is a big issue, and pretending it's not there is just not helpful.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I don't "diet" with my daughter, I don't complain around my daughter (she is 6 and I have a 19yo girl as well). My 6yo is picking up on things and will ask me "mommy, is that a healthy dinner" ...
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Are you holding a gun in your profile picture? What are you shooting?
    Some of the suggestions are good, my mother always went on about her being fat and she openly hated her body. I picked up a lot of that from her.
    Mothers can start by openly loving their own bodies and not being so self critical. Thanks for this post.

Yes, it's a 22 pistol and I was target practicing w/ my husband.

The article just made me smile. I don't necessarily agree w/ all of it (six sticks of butter is a little much), but the gist of it reminds me to be careful of what I may or may not be subconsciously teaching my kiddos.

My daughter is 13. She played baseball in early elementary, until she qualified for the girls basketball team at school. She did that for 3 years and we talked a lot about health and weight in the past couple of years, because I was preparing to have weight loss surgery. I had developed my bad eating habits at around her age, and I wanted to make sure she was aware that what she chooses now can become good or bad habits that will last her whole life. We noticed (SHE noticed) that when it was basketball season, she was slim and that she felt more energetic, but when she wasn't participating, she would gain a little weight and feel less like doing things. She also realized that we would get more fast food during basketball season (time issues, of course), but that it didn't show as much of a detrimental effect as long as she was making an effort to keep physically active.

She is a very healthy weight and no longer plays any of the physical sports. She is currently focusing on air rifle shooting and getting to a point where she can qualify for competitions. This is relatively sedentary, but she also is outside on a regular basis, taking walks, playing with the dogs, etc. She already knows that a healthy weight is related to healthy activity, and she keeps that in mind. And because of my weight history, we talk quite often. The subject is far from taboo in our house!

With all that said, she was with a friend at the store recently and this is her description of what happened: A couple of stick thin girls were behind her and her friend and they commented on the "fat cow" that was in front of them. My daughter made a biting comment back to them, and came home with a very interesting point. She said "I am at the perfect weight for my size, and I am not too fat or too skinny. People who make comments like those girls must feel really bad about their weight, especially if they are picking on someone of MY size rather than someone who is even much bigger than me." I believe her self-confidence (while largely a part of her natural being) was enhanced by our regular conversations about health and weight and food.

Finally, I quoted the above comments because I honestly think that although any woman can be very highly self-confident, given the right tools, the ones who are not fearful of things like shooting (or mountain climbing or other things that can be seen as extreme) are the ones who have the best self-confidence.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I'm a little surprised at the criticism. I agree with it pretty wholeheartedly. I think leading by example is the most important thing. My mom always called herself fat and I remember declaring going on my first diet when I was six years old. No bueno. Food is fuel.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I wish my mom had been upfront with me about my weight sooner, maybe then I wouldn't have let myself get the point that I did. I was 190 pounds when I was 14 years old, and I wish someone would have opened my eyes about it since I clearly did not see what I was doing to myself.

I was also about that size. But you know what? Then or even more recently, when anyone commented with concern or dismay about my weight, it did everything BUT encourage me to make positive changes! It made me hate myself, blame myself, and turn inwardly not wanting to socialize as much, stress eating more, etc. I was so defensive about it and that would only deeply hurt and anger me. People giving me any positive feedback, no matter how seemingly insignificant "Wow you are strong" when helping a friend move or "You have beautiful skin!" that stuff made me want to make positive changes because it built me up, and increased my confidence.

Everyone is different, though. But I had to add my .02 about this.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I'm a little surprised at the criticism. I agree with it pretty wholeheartedly. I think leading by example is the most important thing. My mom always called herself fat and I remember declaring going on my first diet when I was six years old. No bueno. Food is fuel.

This. My mom has been a crash dieter her whole life. I don't get her insecurity but they measures she has taken to lose weight, the money she has spent on dangerous things, it has destroyed our relationship. My mom was VERY hard on me about my weight as a kid and it made me resent her. To this day all I think about her is the judgement she gave me..

I lead by example with my son. We give him healthy choices and I think a physical activity of any sort is going to be a requirement in our house. Whether it be karate, swimming, team sports, weight lifting... anything.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love this and wish I had read it before my tween age girls were talking and walking - thank you posting!!
  • anonniemouse
    anonniemouse Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I am real careful not to say anything bad about my looks around my kids (not just my daughter). I don't want them to think they are any less amazing, ever, and since I went through some major self-esteem issues through my teens, which I still struggle with now, I am not going to let that happen to them.

I did my 3 year old daughter's hair yesterday and she wanted to wear a pretty outfit and when I took her to the Y, it was so nice to hear the childwatch workers comment on her pretty dress and hair. I will always keep the focus away from anything negative in regards to looks and I will go out of my way to protect my children from society when it comes to looking or acting or dressing a certain way.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I think your daughter is dang lucky to have you as a role model as I am dang lucky to call you a friend!

Thank you for sharing this!
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    You can't tell me what to do.
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Good article. My daughter is only 6 and started making comments about being fat as soon as she hit kindergarten. Unfortunately it is already prevailent in schools at that young age. I don't want her to have the same body issues as I did but it is so hard to shield them from that. My daughters genetics are never going to allow her to be "model" skinny - she is going to be a curvy woman and I try to teach and show her that it is OK. We like to teach diversity in our house and how the world would be boring and dull if everyone came from a cookie cutter mold.

That said after having my son she commented on how "fat" I had gotten and instead of shaming her for that we turned it into a learning experience. I didn't elaborate or body shame in front of her but I did let her see me exercise (and even join me). As the weight has come off I elaborate on how much better I FEEL not LOOK. She see's that I have more energy and can do more things then I did before when I was heavier and that is all good. While we don't focus on "dieting" but we do discuss "diet" - as in how too much junk food makes you feel sluggish and how vegatables make you feel strong and healthy. I keep her involved in activties from Gymnastics and Soccer to Drama and Girl Scouts - things that not only make her active but keep her interactive and don't allow her to be bored to the point she wants to sit around the house watching TV/playing games and snacking.
  • progressnotperfection84
    Options
    I agree with the overall message, just not all of the content.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    How to talk to your daughter about her body, step one: Don't talk to your daughter about her body, except to teach her how it works.

Disagree with that already. If you have a solid relationship with someone, you can talk with them about anything. If you can't talk with them about anything, then you don't have a solid relationship.

Bottom line: the world *will* judge you based in part on your physical appearance/makeup. There *are* health consequences to poor physical condition. It would be irresponsible of me as a parent to not pass that knowledge along to my children, male or female.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    While I agree with most of what's said in this article, I also agree with those saying that talking about weight should not be taboo, because their peers are going to do it, no matter what you do.

My little sister (much much younger) was always a natural athlete growing up and participated in soccer travel and elite teams year-round since she was 5 years old. She was slightly stockier in build than some girls her age, but had not an ounce of excess fat on her. When she was in 5th grade she easily finished first among all the children in her school's 5th and 6th grade classes in the 600 yard dash. So everyone was surprised when she came home from school, not long after that race, sobbing and extremely upset because all the children had been weighed and when the other girls found out her weight, they had teased her all day about how fat she was because of how much heavier she weighed. Of course at this point she was talked to and had her weight explained to her in the context of how active and healthy she was compared to children who were only able to watch TV and do homework after school rather than spend hours running, jumping, and working their arms. It didn't change the day of teasing though, that if she had been more aware of weight and fitness she would have been better able to handle.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I loved everything about this article. I find it very interesting how different everyone's perspectives are on this. I read it as though this was speaking to parents of younger children. Maybe it's becuase my daughter is young, she's 8. I also read it was a learning tool, teaching parents to build esteem without building obsession about weight. I saw this as encourgement to parents to better their lifestyle without using words that could carry negative conotations. Teaching a child when they are young will (hopefully) carry into the future. I know that isn't always the case. Some of you have posted how the "negative" things your mom's did stuck with you.....so why shouldn't the positive as well?
    Teaching your daughter how her body works is also teaching her how to fuel it in a healthy and positive way. There does come a time when your child becomes and adult. If they do not carry what you teach and end up dangerously over or under weight, then yes, be up front with them. However, my perspective on this article was that it was geared more towards empowering your daughter at a young age. Thanks for posting!
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    How to talk to your daughter about her body, step one: Don't talk to your daughter about her body, except to teach her how it works.

Disagree with that already. If you have a solid relationship with someone, you can talk with them about anything. If you can't talk with them about anything, then you don't have a solid relationship.

Bottom line: the world *will* judge you based in part on your physical appearance/makeup. There *are* health consequences to poor physical condition. It would be irresponsible of me as a parent to not pass that knowledge along to my children, male or female.

The article doesn't say "if your daughter comes to you with concerns about her body, ignore her". You are reading it a little too literally.

I think part of the major point of this article is that we are trying to make a shift in how the next generation of girls see themselves. To stop caring how the rest of the world judges them and to be okay with who they are. That health is top priority, not that size 2 pair of skinny jeans. Maybe if enough people start to make this change now, we can shift the way women are viewed in the future. Yes, that is an overly optimistic view but I'd rather try than just accept the way things are right now. When my daughter comes home from the 6th grade asking me what a thigh gap is, I just die a little inside. Nothing about this article says to let yourself go and forget your weight. It says let's be healthy, active and strong (inside and out) together and focus on what really matters in life, which is character.

I am a hopeless humanist. :ohwell:
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    > I teach my daughter about fitness and that body mass is part of overall health.
    > I teach her that food is fuel and should be eaten in quantities proportional to your activity levels.
    > I teach her that food is enjoyable, and that there is nothing wrong with eating the foods you enjoy in moderation, so long as you are also eating a varied diet to provide adequate nutrition.
    > I teach her that activity is essential for her developing body, and that if she wants to be 'strong like daddy' (her words) she needs to work to achieve it.
    > I teach her to try *before* asking for help, but that there is no shame in asking for help with something you cannot achieve alone.
    > The overarching principle that I teach her through every aspect of her life is that she has choice and control. She can choose to be fit, she can choose to be smart, she can choose to be moral - just by working hard at those aspects of her life.

The results -

> She is lean and healthy.
    > She insists on doing pull ups (assisted), push ups and crunches before bed 'to get strong'.
    > She has just started doing the couch to 5k program 'to get fit'.
    > At the end of the day she will ask for a small portion of ice cream, and discuss the food choices she made during the day and how active she's been.
    > She gets consistently high grades at school.
    > She is a good friend to all.
    > She is fiercely independent, and God help anyone that tries to patronize her and tell her she can't do something before she's had a chance to try.
    > She is confident in her looks and in her own body (though she's 7, so we obviously have a long way to go with that one. We'll see what demons High School brings.)

So yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'm killing it with this parenting business.