Lifting Help? :)

Options
I would really like to start lifting but I don't know where to start... as in do I get a trainer? How do I learn correct form etc. I (would) think form is super important and don't want to be wasting my time doing things incorrectly or get hurt! Any thoughts? I'm 4'11 and 130lbs, so tightening things up would be my main goal. Thanks in advance for the help!

-Jessica

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    A trainer to help learn form is never a bad idea.

Some good beginner programs are Starting Strength (it's a book) and Strong Lifts (free program - google it). They both focus on compound lifts - which means that it will work your full body. You'll get a lot out of it.
  • keithemp
    Options
    You can get a trainer if you want, but I don't like the idea of trainers.

To get used to lifts, start light with the weight and focus on form until you're comfortable, then up the weight. Look up 2-3 exercises on youtube or an exercise site to see how the exercise should be performed and work on your technique. After a couple months, you'll have 20-30 exercises that you can now put into a workout plan.
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Find a program. Stronglifts 5x5 is a good beginner program.

Once you know your program research form on all of the lifts you will be performing.

Watch many videos. Practice the motions with a broomstick or similar lightweight item.

Go to the gym. Apply what you have learned.

A trainer is not necessary, but if you do get one be very selective. This should be a trainer who is familiar with your program, and/or the lifts in your program.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    A trainer to help learn form is never a bad idea.

Some good beginner programs are Starting Strength (it's a book) and Strong Lifts (free program - google it). They both focus on compound lifts - which means that it will work your full body. You'll get a lot out of it.

Yes.

And another good book to get you started is The New Rules of Lifting for Women(Lift like a man, look like a goddess). That's how I got into lifting and it's been great.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I started lifting with New Rules of Lifting for Women about 8 months ago. I've made some modifications since then, and tried different moves, but it's a great place to start!

Good luck!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Trainers are hit and miss- you need to be very specific and firm with them on what you want to do.
    Which means you need a clear idea of what you want/need- so "I want to lift" isn't good enough. that encompasses a great deal of information.

Some great programs
    New Rules of Lifting (For women- the first one or the women's version is acceptable- it doesn't REALLY matter.
    Strong Curves
    Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts (I believe this is a slightly more intermediate program)

you can research/google/youtube plenty of compound lift videos

Sticking with
    Squats
    Dead lifts
    Bench
    Over Head Press
    and some sort of pull- pendlay rows- BB rows- DB rows- T- Rows- Pull ups

all useful- and a lot LOT of bang for your buck.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    two words. you tube
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    You can learn a lot from videos and books, but I hired a trainer. I wanted to learn some Olympic lifts and there was too much involved to learn on my own. I was extremely particular about my trainer - I watched a lot of them in the gym to see their training style, what types of workouts they did and then looked into certifications, degrees, etc. Anyone can get that piece of paper; do your research.
  • jessicaadair
    jessicaadair Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I REALLY don't want to hire a trainer, so I will look into all of these helpful hints.... and I'm not sure why I didn't think of YouTube!!

Thanks again!
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    ditto what everyone else said--particularly with the youtube videos. i have a super-boring job, so i just watched a TON of youtube videos demonstrating form on the moves that i was planning on trying the next day--it helped me to have that visual in my head so i could feel confident to replicate it.

and SL5x5 is great, just be careful starting the deadlift--the starting weight he recommends is quite high; i started with like 60lbs or something. There's nothing wrong with starting lower than recommended--you'll move up as you feel comfortable.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I started with Jamie Eason's LiveFitTrainer. It's free - just google it.

If you click on the exercise it will take you to bb . com and show videos of her doing them. It also has descriptions and suggestions for alternate exercises if you don't like the one she suggests.

Seriously, check it out. It got me into the big boy weight room two years ago and I haven't looked back!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ditto what everyone else said--particularly with the youtube videos. i have a super-boring job, so i just watched a TON of youtube videos demonstrating form on the moves that i was planning on trying the next day--it helped me to have that visual in my head so i could feel confident to replicate it.

and SL5x5 is great, just be careful starting the deadlift--the starting weight he recommends is quite high; i started with like 60lbs or something. There's nothing wrong with starting lower than recommended--you'll move up as you feel comfortable.

start with the bar- if not a broom stick.

form form form form
    learn that- video it- get someone to review it- you may THINK you are or are not doing something- and you could be doing the wrong thing.
    THEN start adding weights.
    Then review form some more.
    Reps reps reps- work work work
    more weight
    more video
    more weight
    more video

now

go forth... and be fabulous!
  • truelove7
    truelove7 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner and I started with StronLifts 5x5...I'm almost finished with week 3. I basically researched my *kitten* off. I read so much stuff about compound lifts and proper form. I also watched a TON of youtube vids.

Form is the most important thing! Be sure to watch yourself in a mirror to make sure you're doing the lifts properly.

Lifting is probably the most empowering thing I've ever done. DO IT!