Options

Replies

• ilovethelaw07
    Options
    Bump
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Great responses I appreciate every one of them. Now I can't afford gym membership, as the prices here are assinine, but would a simple weight bench be okay off Craigslist? Jogging a few times a week? Would like to know how to get started and what weights/machines are worth investing used.

Sweetie Try Kettlebells Swing Yourself Fit Total Body Workout, by Gin Miller avail @ Khols for about $40. I love it and they DvD is easy too follow.
  • kathymc54
    kathymc54 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    If you are brand new to weight lifting I suggest The New Rules of Lifting for Woman. That is what I am doing and I love it. I am not brand new but have been out of it for a while, so using it to unrust form.
  • Vicki_78
    Vicki_78 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting (as mentioned already like a million times) is great... I've recently started and it's very easy to follow. I am currently doing it at home with very little equipment... a couple dumbells, a bar and a few assorted plates.

You could also try a kettlebell... they are inexpensive, only one piece of equipment and you can do good full body toning with it.
  • JavaSparrow
    JavaSparrow Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    similar stats to you. i started weightlifting a few months ago and found i really liked it. free weights, dumbells, benchpressing, squatting with weights, and medicine balls mainly.
    i LOVE bench pressing which is something i never thought i'd say. it's actually made my boobs perkier because of the developed pecs underneath holding them up lol
    i haven't really lost any weight from weightlifting, muscle weighs more than fat. but its still totally worth it as i've developed sexy muscle definition on my arms, legs, butt, chest, and back.
    plus it just feels good to be strong ^ ^
    and don't worry about bulking up. the muscles that develop look lean and sexy, women can't naturally produce enough testosterone to get all Rambo-y lol
  • liberella
    liberella Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Save
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend New Rules for Lifting for Women - it is an amazing book with 6 months of weight lifting workouts built in, plus it talks about nutrition and the science behind getting fit. I am in week 2 and loving it!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Great thread, I want to try weights, too. I've lost 17 lbs counting calories, and I'm ready to step it up.
    I am 5'4" and I am worried about building my leg muscles. My leg muscles are HUGE under my fat (from carrying my heavy self around.) I do NOT want to build any muscle there.

Train high reps (15-20) - and lighter weights...

With all due respect, this advice is not correct. Women can and should lift heavy like men.
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I also am very interested in starting to lift weights. Is the New Rules for Women program something that I can begin at home to start off??? A gym membership may be in the future for me but for now I would like to do what I can at home.
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    http://www.stumptuous.com has a ton of great information and also great ideas for those who do not have access to a gym.
  • LiveTheLifeYouWillLove
    Options
    No matter what program you end up doing, having some inexpensive handweights are a good investment. I have found that over the years, various workouts can incorporate your handweights. If you use a treadmill or walk outside, walk with handweights. Doing a fitness video, use handweights also. When you learn some basics, you can use that knowledge forever!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I've got a ways to go, but one thing that helped me. Well two. Dowing 200 squats and 100 pushups.
    OK I am still doing them. I have made it to week 4 a few times. But I saw my strength increase, and muscle tone improve. A great way to get started. And then you can jump into the weights.

And I do weights too. Focusing on free weights this time around, building up to dead lifting my body weight is a key goal for me. And there are a few other ones.

At home, I use a kettlebell and some dumbbells. This is on the days I don't get to the gym.
  • tinabuggy
    Options
    BUMP
  • kaitlink9
    kaitlink9 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When I asked my boyfriend (who got me into weightliftng in the first place) what I should be doing as far as weights are concerned, he always checks out TNation. From the articles he sends me (such as "train like a man, look like a goddess") it's got some pretty wicked advice. Don't be scared of the weights, or lifting fairly heavy. :) You wont look butch, you'll look bangin'!
    Hope that helps. :)
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • drivermarshy
    Options
    I've lost 45 pounds using a mix of weights and cardio. I'm now doing mainly GVT as hit a plateau. Seems to have toned me up in only 2 weeks. Should help increase my pb's
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Great responses I appreciate every one of them. Now I can't afford gym membership, as the prices here are assinine, but would a simple weight bench be okay off Craigslist? Jogging a few times a week? Would like to know how to get started and what weights/machines are worth investing used.

That isn't bad to start, but to see the benefits you will have to progressively overload (either increase reps, sets, or weight). Another option for starting out if a gym is out of the question, check out "You are Your Own Gym"
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    For me, I started out trying to find a routine and many were complicated. That with my gym schedule, I really needed a 2 day split to keep me on track. I am currently doing:

Day 1: Bench, Deadlift, Leg Curl
    Day 2: Squat, OHP, Rows

I sometimes do Lat pull downs in place of the rows, just because I like them. This routine has been awesome for me. I asked Santa for a weight set for Christmas so I can get to doing BB Squats and REAL deadlifts, right now I am doing wall squats with a med ball for weight since I only have access to a Smith machine.
  • Raw_Bean
    Raw_Bean Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    You look friggin Fanastic!
    Hello!

I must admit, I feel a teensy bit fraudulent replying to this thread as a significant part of my weight loss was due to cardio (and lots of it), but weights did play a significant part, particularly in the latter stages.

When I started losing weight, I knew that I'd have to incorporate some weight/strength training in order to minimise the potential of loose skin (I had about 6 stone/84lb to lose). I didn't want to go from hating my body to STILL hating it for another reason after all that hard work.

So I started attending kettlebells classes, which I maintain saved my bingo wings. My upper arms were about the size of my thigh (only a slight exaggeration!) and there was huge potential for saggy skin there.

I started attending the classes about three months in (it's taken me 18 months to get to this stage, give or take). I had to give up the kettlebells a while ago due to a shoulder injury, and started lifting weights instead.

I now lift 4 - 5 times a week for approximately 20 - 30 minutes a time (usually after my zumba class). I don't lift especially heavy (although that's obviously subjective); doing sets with 10kg dumbells for bicep curls, 12kg for tricep dips and the 10 again for lateral raises and shoulder presses.

Lifting weights has helped me immensely. I don't doubt that the cardio assisted some (strong repetitive movements in zumba) in helping melting the fat so the muscles popped through, but in terms of shaping my body I cannot thank weightlifting enough.

Some photos for reference - me at 16 stone/224lbs, me at my current weight (just over 10 stone/140lb) and my arm progress picture for October 2012.

Sorry for the waffle! Hope this helps some.

photo.jpg

7.jpg

C7B845EB-5060-4E3D-86E3-E68769C32239-8061-0000081E17BF6DB1.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!