Horrible Run

Options
I just had a horrible run. I went running and was about 1 mile away from my house when a group of 3 guys in a truck started following me and screaming out their windows "keep running *****" and then when I started walking they starting yelling "you better run *****". I thought they finally got bored because they drove off but then about 5 minutes later they were waiting at an intersection and followed me for awhile longer continuing to yell. Of course I didn't have my cell phone will me if something would have happened and I feel really dumb for running in the evening but I also feel that I should be able to exercise and not be bothered by a bunch of idiots. Has this happened to other people?

Replies

• izzyandobo
    izzyandobo Posts: 41
    Options
    I just had a horrible run. I went running and was about 1 mile away from my house when a group of 3 guys in a truck started following me and screaming out their windows "keep running *****" and then when I started walking they starting yelling "you better run *****". I thought they finally got bored because they drove off but then about 5 minutes later they were waiting at an intersection and followed me for awhile longer continuing to yell. Of course I didn't have my cell phone will me if something would have happened and I feel really dumb for running in the evening but I also feel that I should be able to exercise and not be bothered by a bunch of idiots. Has this happened to other people?
  • Mattysmomma
    Mattysmomma Posts: 268
    Options
    I live in a small town, I go in the evenings after my daughter is asleep and some guy keep driving around. Then stopped and asked me for my number. He was old and weird. Kept driving by. I told him I was not intrested. Called the cops and told them what had happened. They didnt give 2 craps. I just wanted to let them know there is a weirdo driving about me over and over. FREAKS ME OUT.
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I had a weirdo once follow me around for a while and then when I stopped, he walked away. It was weird cause it was right in front of a school, when children were playing outdoors in the school yard. It made me sick to my stomach!
  • back2beingme
    Options
    SCARY!!:mad: Guess this can go into my excuse book for reasons why I hate running:wink: Seriously though, make sure you're letting your family know where you plan on running and TAKE YOUR CELL PHONES!!! If you realize that you forgot it RUN BACK HOME AND GET IT!!!!

Take care of yourselves...:heart:
  • sclosson
    sclosson Posts: 120
    Options
    I always go for my walk late, but I take my dog. She's not big, but she's loud. I feel a lot more secure with her. But, then, every now and then, some car will go by slowly and I turn striaght for home. It ticks me off to feel so nervous.
  • Mattysmomma
    Mattysmomma Posts: 268
    Options
    I ALWAY TELL MY BF IF IM NOT BACK IN 1 1/2 COME LOOK FOR ME!! HE GETS ALL FREAKED OUT. HE IS A COP AND MY PROTECTOR, SO I SAY STUFF LIKE THAT TO GET HIM GOING....LOL. MAKES ME WANT TO MAKE IT OVER AN HOUR JUST TO GET HIM THINKING. I AM A HORRIBLE PERSON.
  • zen68
    zen68 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I had a running partner until last week....my friend and neighbor...but she moved on Thursday. So now I am running solo...and I NEVER run without my cell phone. There are too many sickos out there and you never know....be careful but keep on running!
  • izzyandobo
    izzyandobo Posts: 41
    Options
    I didn't want to call the cops because I thought they would probably just think I was over-reacting. Maybe I should go in the morning and put the kids in the jogging stroller. I am assuming that at 7:30 am most of these wierdo guys are still sleeping off their hangovers. I will definatly bring my cell phone next time.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to call the cops because I thought they would probably just think I was over-reacting. Maybe I should go in the morning and put the kids in the jogging stroller. I am assuming that at 7:30 am most of these wierdo guys are still sleeping off their hangovers. I will definatly bring my cell phone next time.

Be careful! That is a scary situation. Definitely bring your phone or pepper spray with you. Are there any other runners around at the same time? Maybe map out your runs to be near stores, homes of people you know, busier intersections, etc. stay away from secluded areas....
  • Starlightdusk
    Starlightdusk Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Please please please be careful if you are going out running, walking, whatever. It makes me sad and angry that we have to be but there are sickos out there. A woman from a city near here went jogging recently and was killed. It is terrible but be careful!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I guess we always think it won't happen to us but I feel sure the people that have been kidnappped/killed while running etc thought the same thing.

I live in a decent little college town, but there are lots of rural areas/county roads around us that are quite desolate and great for long bike rides. My husband went with me on one of my routes and told me I could NOT ride that route again without him. He said, some one could snatch you and noone would know. I guess he is right. I often forget that the world we live in is not a safe place.

Just last school year, a college student was kidnapped and murdered 20 miles from my house. It was national news, big deal, yet I still assume I will be safe. It can happen anywhere to anyone.

I will let this be a reminder to myself to be careful and aware at all times. We all need to be.
  • runnerwithstyle
    runnerwithstyle Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    That is a really scary situation. It makes me worry for my own safety. I try to check the sexual predator registry around the places I run to ensure that there are no listed sex offenders. However, I always bring my phone.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    BRING YOUR CELL PHONES, LADIES!!!!

(This thread scares me, and just when I thought I might enjoy running outdoors....) :frown:
  • pavang82
    pavang82 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    i'm always paranoid when i see weird people, especially at night. that's why i don't go running outside. i prefer the gym. but i have a story to tell. last year during thanksgiving i went to this event. i parked like 0.5 miles away. my sister was with me, we were wearing high heels all day at the event. so around 5 p.m we decided to leave. the sun was setting and my sister took her heels off she started walking and all of a sudden there was this guy that came out of nowhere. we were at a bridge. he talked to her and she ignored him (she was a couple of step ahead of me), then she started running. then he talked to me, i ignored him, he started yelling, and boy thats the fastest i ever ran in my life in HEELS. He was shouting for me to come back, but i can care less. I WAS SO SCARED. I was thinking that if he came after me, i was going to cross the highway regardless. (he didn't but i can hear him yelling). WHHHHEEEEEEWWWW... i don't ever want to experience that again. Glad nothing happen to my sister and I.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Oh I most certainly think you should call the cops. Absolutely. People like that deserve everything they get. I don't understand the need?
  • leg8
    leg8 Posts: 49
    Options
    I tuck my cell phone into my bra! And last time I ran with my keys in my hand because some weirdo approached me before I began running. The bra is a great place to put a few $$ and your cell phone.
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    I tuck my cell phone into my bra! And last time I ran with my keys in my hand because some weirdo approached me before I began running. The bra is a great place to put a few $$ and your cell phone.

That's exactly what I do- keys in hand, phone in bra... lol..

that way if anyone approaches me, I can shank them before racing off to call the police
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    ugh yes! worse too I got attacked....long story, was running around 6 pm at night...dusky out...this was awhile ago like when I was 21 or 22...still living at home....anyway, I just had my headphones on and no cell no nothing...I had just stopped running, and did my last 1/2 mile cooldown walk and this big construction worker guy about 6'2" and jacked up starts following me, but thinking he looked sort of normal I thought to myself...naaaa don't run, don't look stupid.. still it was weird seeing him first across the street, then on the same side, then right behind me.....sigh

He even said really softly "excuse me" and I turned around because my radio had thankfully been turned off when I got weirded out....and when I turned around he had a hanky around his hands like as if he was gonna do something like strangle someone....so I said yes? (stupid Ali) and he made up some bull about oh do you have an extra cigarette...LOL..ya like I smoke right after my runs, so I said no...sorry...in a sweet voice thinking be nice and it will all be okay (stupid Ali)....but then I thought run this is not right and as soon as I went to do it, he had me in a head lock and was dragging me into an alley....I thankfully w/ one hand pulled his hand off my mouth and screamed to high heavens and w/ the other hand reached back and scratched his eyes out....sigh...got away and was lucky as I'll ever be!

The cops never found him, but its a very very very good idea to contact them about it, AND...DONT GO RUNNING ALONE AT NIGHT! .........PLEASE!!!!!

hugs and be safe!
    Ali
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Why do you even care if they think you are overreacting? I wouldn't give a rats toot if some dudes that called me a ***** thought I was overreacting. That is very scarey.

I was mugged at gun point 4 years ago. It's not fun and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Take your cell phone. Carry your keys in your hand. Jog in a place where there are going to be people.
  • LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options

I used to go walking outside in my neighborhood.... and even with always carrying my cell phone I never felt totally safe ( and I live in a small country neighborhood!!) There were always some teenagers hanging out under a bridge where I walked every night ...and I never just never felt safe. Now I use my treadmill in the basement.. and both me AND hubby feel better about that. I know that if this old treadmill falls apart my husband will be the first in line to buy me a new one LOL!