Worried about 1200 cal diet?

Options
13»

Replies

• ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you are, with only 1200 cal/day, I am always hungry. I have resorted to doing 2 protien shakes a day and only real meal and have not lost a pound. Getting extremely frustrated.

If you're hungry, up your calories. I promise you'll still lose weight. I promise.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1'' 135lbs & eat around 1350-1450 calories a day give or take 100 calories. I have been steadily losing 1-2lbs a week & working out 20mins per day. If you're 5'7'' you should aim for 1500-1600 calories per day for a week & see how that goes since you're so tall. If you're not seeing a loss, then subtract 100 calories then work from there. Good luck!
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    1200 is starvation. You will lose weight sure, but you are losing muscle, organ tissue, and bone mass as well as fat. This is also not sustainable so when you eventually crash your metabolism, you will gain all the weight back plus more and you will have a weakened metabolism and less muscle and a much unhealthier body. The scoobyworkshop calculator online is the best I've seen for calculating your target. MFP numbers only work if you are putting in all of your exercise (including walking and housework, etc.) and then eating back those calories. A deficit of 20-30% of TDEE is a good goal for someone quite overweight. Not only will a 1200 calorie diet be hard to follow, you will experience greater amounts of bad side effects such as lack of sexual desire, extreme hunger, metabolic slow down, mood swings, extreme fatigue, etc. It's just not worth it.

What a load of utter rubbish! 1200 may very well be too low for the OP and others but what you are quoting as side effects is incorrect. With my GP's blessing, I have been following a 1200 cal per day level for most of this year, it is NOT hard to follow. I get all the balance I need. I eat back 50% of my exercise calories (again with my GP's approval). I have lost 39lbs of the 60lbs I need to lose and I have certainly NOT suffered any of the side effects you are quoting. Where is your evidence? I have NOT 'crashed my metabolism' and in fact I am healthier than I have been for a long time.

Everyone is different - it's not a 'one size fits all' - so generalisation like this and quoting these supposed 'facts' is inaccurate and unhelpful.
  • Smithalbig
    Smithalbig Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same plan - You will earn more calories if you exercise. I exercise about one hour per day (actually around 45 minutes because I need to rest between three hard 15 minute workouts) I earn between 2-400 additional calories most days. That give me two snacks beteen lunch and dinner and around 7PM. It is doable. If you just try to keep yur blood sugar from crashing - if you feel hungry you have gone too long without a snack. Sometimes I break my lunch in half and eat dome at noon and more at 2PM. If I can eat small amounts over the day so I don't crash (feel hungry) I can get through the day and I am absolutely fine - no suffering - no deprivation - I can eat mostly what I want within reason. Fitness pal helps me to stay balanced between carbs and protiens and sugars and salts. Exercise makes it doable. I have lost four pounds but not without working and being viganant. 35 to go!!!
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 1200 since I joind MFP in May(ish). I didn't have any trouble staying at this amount and rarely ate back my exercise calories. For a while, I lost 1-2 lbs a week pretty consistently and then I hit a wall.

A two month long wall.

So, I decided it was time to re-assess. I changed my goal to a much more realistic 1 lb loss per week. That gave me a few extra calories to play with. I became much more reasonable about my exercise regime i.e. I stopped working out as much and switched it up a lot more. I started eating back about half of my exercise calories too. And then I started to lose again.

Since I became more reasonable and less unrealistic, I have posted consistent losses. So I wouldn't say eating 1200 doesn't work, but it might not necessarily be sustainable or it might lead to a verrrry frustrating wall that is very difficult to move past. There is nothing worse than working hard, eating right and posting no weight loss whatsoever.

So find what works for you. Experiment and pay attention to your body and how it is responding. But most of all, be reasonable about losing weight.

I have a similar story. I ate 1200 calories & worked out a lot & lost about 2lbs a week for 3 months then hit a plateau for 4 weeks. Now I'm eating about 1350-1450 & doing HIIT 20mins daily instead of cardio equipment & have been losing 1-2lbs a week. Honestly, I don't regret eating 1200 calories because it did work.
  • KatieGrz
    KatieGrz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Doesn't MFP itself say that the "losing 2lbs per week" is should only be used in the most extreme of weight loss cases (if you're looking to lose like 50 or 100lbs or more or something?).

The 1200 calorie diet will work for you if you are only doing light exercise. If you are doing intense exercising, even if you are adding back the calories, the 1200 diet will not give you the energy sufficient to sustain that and to grow stronger.
  • slgthatsme
    Options
    So my question is this: I am 41, 222 lbs, 5'5 and sedentary because of health issues. I am learning what type of workouts that I can do but because of physical limitations can only do a few different things - all of which burn around 160 calories. I am on a 1200 calorie diet and am eating back my calories - most of the time. Sometimes I am just not hungry enough.

Because of my situation, should I be eating more calories in general? I can't work out a bunch and I can't work out every day. I have lost 3 lbs since starting MFP 3 weeks ago. I sometimes find 1200 calories a little low but only because I am lazy and not wanting to be creative with my meals lol
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat as much as possible while still losing weight. Using this approach I am much more likely to adhere to my deficit, not lose muscle, get adequate nutrition, and be happy.

I'm 5'9" and 160lbs. I eat 2000 to lose weight.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    1200 is starvation. You will lose weight sure, but you are losing muscle, organ tissue, and bone mass as well as fat. This is also not sustainable so when you eventually crash your metabolism, you will gain all the weight back plus more and you will have a weakened metabolism and less muscle and a much unhealthier body. The scoobyworkshop calculator online is the best I've seen for calculating your target. MFP numbers only work if you are putting in all of your exercise (including walking and housework, etc.) and then eating back those calories. A deficit of 20-30% of TDEE is a good goal for someone quite overweight. Not only will a 1200 calorie diet be hard to follow, you will experience greater amounts of bad side effects such as lack of sexual desire, extreme hunger, metabolic slow down, mood swings, extreme fatigue, etc. It's just not worth it.

What a load of utter rubbish! 1200 may very well be too low for the OP and others but what you are quoting as side effects is incorrect. With my GP's blessing, I have been following a 1200 cal per day level for most of this year, it is NOT hard to follow. I get all the balance I need. I eat back 50% of my exercise calories (again with my GP's approval). I have lost 39lbs of the 60lbs I need to lose and I have certainly NOT suffered any of the side effects you are quoting. Where is your evidence? I have NOT 'crashed my metabolism' and in fact I am healthier than I have been for a long time.

Everyone is different - it's not a 'one size fits all' - so generalisation like this and quoting these supposed 'facts' is inaccurate and unhelpful.

Agree, that's complete rubbish.
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I ate at 1200 for a long time, lost weight and muscle, and now I'm eating more and strength training to try and get some of that muscle back. I'm less focused on the rate I lose weight now and more focused on how healthy and strong my body is getting.
  • Failing2Thrive
    Options
    I ate at 1200 for a long time, lost weight and muscle, and now I'm eating more and strength training to try and get some of that muscle back. I'm less focused on the rate I lose weight now and more focused on how healthy and strong my body is getting.

I am older and did the 1200 or so calories for the last 2 months. I lost 2 plus pounds a week. I noticed my body is not as toned :-( I just raised my calories to lose 1.5lbs a week and that gives me 1330 and I eat some of my exercise calories. Like you, I have to get my muscles back, I am getting skinny/fat. More strength training for me.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would change my goal to lose 1lb a week. At 5'7, 1200 calories a day might be to little for you. Exercise calories are meant to be eaten, so if you exercise you can eat more and still be in a deficit.
  • CatLambee
    Options
    I'd stick to the 1200 a day diet. Keep in mind though that MFP is usually putting you at about a 600 cal defeceit, so you can eat a little more and you'll just lose a little less.

But everyone's metabolism is different. As soon as I start exercising and eating 1,200 cal a day, I start dropping weight pretty quickly. You may find that with exercise and diet that you lose over 2lbs a week. You could also lose less. One of the downfalls of MFP is that it is a very generalized goal system, and it's impossible to tweak it to your specific metabolism and other things that factor into weight loss.

1,200 cal a day is sometimes a nightmare for me since I have a pretty big appetite and am prone to "emotional eating". However, I find that in this case it's best to eat fruits and vegetables, as you can eat a lot of them at a fraction of the calorie costs of normal snack foods. And you're getting actual nutrition! It's great!
  • Mitchlou84
    Options
    I am 176lb, and trying to get down to about the same goal weight as the OP, I am only 5ft 2, but have a curvy figure, 34H chest etc.

I currently have mine set to lightly active as I have to walk a lot, and losing 0.8 kilos a week. This gives me 1200 to net.

However I eat back every single exercise calorie (except walking), using my FT4 not the mfp settings.

I don't stress though if I have one day a week where I go a bit over (had quite a few days this week as been away.

I am definitely not losing muscle tone but agree that it makes it hard to do anything, eat out etc.
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options

Ok first of all (Im using the above quote as an example, but there was a few) 1200 is NOT starvation mode, to clear that up, maybe a few people should read this: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

Secondly, I did clearly put on my post that everyone is different and the OP would find out the best method for them. WHY OH WHY do people on here feel the need to bash other people and say "this doesn't work" "that wont work" etc etc? If someone (me for example) has done something a certain way, and lost, and kept off the weight, then clearly.... it works! Yes it may not work for you, or the OP or Joe Bloggs, but it works for some people!!! Just in the same way your method may not work for me!!

I've been on MFP over 3 years now, and slowly but surely this place is getting worse for people's 'opinions'. I have studied and studied what the best way around it is for me, and this is it. I have been on the wagon (well, on and off :laugh: ) for over 3 years now and have lost lost lost. Instead of people being mean, why not throw some facts around? Like i keep saying everyone is different and is entitled to their opinion and own way of doing things. It really is amazing if you can consistently lose whilst eating 1500-2000 calories a day, I wish I could!! But I cant, iv tried it, didn't work at all for me!!

EACH TO THEIR OWN! I WAS SIMPLY OFFERING MY STORY!
  • slimmerchick
    slimmerchick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Well said Nicola!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'd stick to the 1200 a day diet. Keep in mind though that MFP is usually putting you at about a 600 cal defeceit, so you can eat a little more and you'll just lose a little less.

If you choose "I want to lose 1 pound a week", your deficit is 500 calories. If you choose 1.5 pounds, it is 750. If you choose 2 pounds, it is 1,000.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

If you choose "I want to lose 1 pound a week", your deficit is 500 calories. If you choose 1.5 pounds, it is 750. If you choose 2 pounds, it is 1,000.

Unless any of those puts you below 1200, then it varies. For most non-obese women, we hit the 1200 floor long before we get to a 1000 deficit.
  • mssag
    mssag Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I suggest you search the forum posts for "1200 calories." This is probably one of the most-discussed topics on MFP. Many people have asked the same question you did...
  • mackemom
    mackemom Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    :smile: