Having a hard time eating all the calories.....

Options

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    wow thanks for all the replies and advise.

Oh.... I CAN eat a lot but I'm trying to change my lifestyle and eat normal portions.

I assure you I am eating my calorie allowance but what I was trying to say was that I'm finding it difficult bc the food that I have picked (that I think I "should" be eating) just aren't appetizing to me.

At first I was set up for 1lb loss a week and it was really difficult to "feel" like I was on a diet while eating 1500 calories. I then changed my goal to 1.5 lbs a week and that dropped me down to 1300 cal a week.

Breakfast and lunch are not really problems. I get home from work and I have anywhere from 600-800 calories to spend and that doesn't include any exercise (I ride a horse, competitively, for an hour a day). So if I expend 300 in that hour I'm up to 900-1100 calories that I can eat for dinner. I just don't know how to get that all in without eating a cheesesteak or something.

IDK but maybe it's eating healthy at breakfast or lunch that is taking away my appetite but to sit down a 7pm and eat 900 calories just doesn't feel right. Know what I mean?

I guess I'm so used to going on diets that really restrict and think that this should feel the same way.

I also have a problem knowing (and trusting what I read on the internet) how many calories are in certain foods so I avoid them just in case.

I'm a highly dedicated and meticulous person so not knowing is really hard for me. It's bad enough I can't get an accurate exercise reading for horseback riding that I don't really count it in my calculations. I have ordered a HRM that should be here today so that should work to help pinpoint cals spent.

Can someone tell me what macros/micros are? I have no idea.

Again, thanks for all the replies. I think it's starting to sink in what I need to do it just feels so wrong lol (ya know diets are supposed to suck right?) lol

macros = fats, protein, carbs. some people track sugars and fiber and other such things, but unless you NEED to track them, i wouldn't. i only track fats and protein. carbs are irrelevant and you can always figure out your carbs because those are what are left when you've accounted for your fats and protein.

micros = vitamins and minerals.

set your fat intake at 0.35g/lb of bodyweight. set your protein intake at 0.8-1.0g/lb of LBM. LBM is (1-BF%) x bodyweight.

your fat intake is a MINIMUM. try to meet it or exceed it. same with protein. that's all there is to it.

ignore the way MFP sets your macros as % of your calories. once you've met your fats and protein goals for the day, the rest of the calories can be whatever you want them to be. i generally look at 2-day and 3-day moving averages for my macros. that's how i know if i'm getting the right amounts. your body doesn't operate on a 24-hour clock, so you don't have to get too hung up on getting EXACTLY the correct amount of each macro every day. get close enough so that your averages look ok and you'll be ok.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

Oh.... I CAN eat a lot but I'm trying to change my lifestyle and eat normal portions.

I assure you I am eating my calorie allowance but what I was trying to say was that I'm finding it difficult bc the food that I have picked (that I think I "should" be eating) just aren't appetizing to me.

At first I was set up for 1lb loss a week and it was really difficult to "feel" like I was on a diet while eating 1500 calories. I then changed my goal to 1.5 lbs a week and that dropped me down to 1300 cal a week.

Breakfast and lunch are not really problems. I get home from work and I have anywhere from 600-800 calories to spend and that doesn't include any exercise (I ride a horse, competitively, for an hour a day). So if I expend 300 in that hour I'm up to 900-1100 calories that I can eat for dinner. I just don't know how to get that all in without eating a cheesesteak or something.

IDK but maybe it's eating healthy at breakfast or lunch that is taking away my appetite but to sit down a 7pm and eat 900 calories just doesn't feel right. Know what I mean?

I guess I'm so used to going on diets that really restrict and think that this should feel the same way.

I also have a problem knowing (and trusting what I read on the internet) how many calories are in certain foods so I avoid them just in case.

I'm a highly dedicated and meticulous person so not knowing is really hard for me. It's bad enough I can't get an accurate exercise reading for horseback riding that I don't really count it in my calculations. I have ordered a HRM that should be here today so that should work to help pinpoint cals spent.

Again, thanks for all the replies. I think it's starting to sink in what I need to do it just feels so wrong lol (ya know diets are supposed to suck right?) lol

You need to change how you think :) I did the same thing when I started 3 years ago - eating so little 1200 calories and depriving myself. Needless to say that failed - and failed big time. I started again this October weighing 15lbs more than when I started the first time ...

I researched, listened and figured out what I wanted (didn't care about anyone else). I know that I wanted a rocking body and I wasn't going to get there on 1200 calories and cardio.

THIS is what I wanted: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1045433-women-lifting-heavy-with-pics

It is working now AND I eat - A LOT lol I average 1700-1900 calories per day.. I am not killing myself working out 6 days a week with cardio. I lift 3x a week (that's it!) and it has made the best change for me mentally.

I wish you the best. You can add me if you want :)

ETA: I am very meticulous in my logging. I weight every single thing - including fluid ounces when I have milk. It works and you just have to be diligent when looking at the food. Everything I log I do in grams unless it isn't available.
  • AnRob88
    Options
    yes! I totally agree, Coffee is my weakness. I could probably drink about 8 or 9 cups a day with out a real meal lol... But something that has helped me is Juicing. I found that after a few days of it, I was hungrier throughout the day. It has most of the nutritional value but without all the pulp that makes you full... you can buy a cheap juicer and see how you like it

Good luck,

April
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    It's weird. We get overweight by eating way too much and we have such a warped sense of what is correct that when we first try to diet we go way too far in the other direction.

1300 is not a hard goal to meet. If you don't like the idea of having a bunch left over at dinner, try my method which is to eat something every 3 hours. You end up with 250-300 extra calories outside of breakfast and lunch that way, and that removes a little bit from dinner. I eat 1400 a day and do 350 breakfast, 350 lunch, 250 snacks and 450 dinner. It varies every day of course but those are typical counts for me.

Play around and see what works for you, but being hungry or eating like a bird doesn't win you a prize nor will it work in the long term. Learn to eat like a normal person!
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    There are no bad foods, some are just more nutrient dense than others. Pizza can be an excellent addition to a healthy diet. Ditto, ice cream. What matters is maintaining a calorie deficit and meeting your macro/micro/fiber goals. I've had ice cream everyday for 51 days and quite often before that and it does not affect my weight loss in any way, except for making the whole process far more sustainable.

This. I love pizza! I make it fit. =]
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    there are no bad foods.

wrong.

asparagus and black licorice are bad foods.

brussels sprouts are legitimately evil.

You forgot lima beans. Lima beans are of teh DEBIL! Truth!
  • beverlyl64
    Options
    Thanks Shadow. I'm going to try to consume all that I can without feeling like I've cheated. I think I'll try to make that pizza tonight. Hope I count the calories correctly. lol
    To count the calories correctly use the recipe function, this will really help.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    i mean this in the nicest possible way... you're on the road to failure.

don't undereat. don't deprive yourself of foods you enjoy. don't feel guilt or shame over your food choices.

these are all classic symptoms of somebody who will binge later.

weight loss is not hard. it's simple math. eat fewer calories than you burn and you'll lose weight. eat enough calories and the types of food that fill you up, make you happy, and meet your nutritional needs. take a multivitamin and/or supplements if necessary. if you don't have enough calories to eat what you want, add some exercise that day to allow for it. don't get too focused on the day to day numbers, look at the longer view and worry about weekly averages.

Great advice. It's all about the numbers. Doesn't matter what you eat. There 'may' come a point when you decide that you just don't care for some things anymore but you don't HAVE to cut everything you love - just eat a little less of it. I try to opt for veggie pizza but sometimes I'll make a loaded one and use a tortilla for the crust instead - 10 inch pizza with all the toppings all for me! less than 500 cals and tastes great all goey with cheese too! I love thin crust pizza so to me it's virtually identical ;)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

You don't have to feel starved to be in a caloric deficit and lose weight in a healthy manner. And no, diets don't have to suck. In fact, if your diet sucks, you're doing it wrong and on the road to failure. Stop thinking about "being on a diet" and start thinking of your diet as a way of eating. How do you want to eat for the rest of your life? That's the key to not only losing weight, but keeping it off in the long run. If you "go on a diet," only to go off of it when you reach your goal, you'll eventually find yourself back at square one, needing to lose weight again.

"Macros" is short for macronutrient - protein, carbs, and fat. You need to make sure you get the right of each to properly nourish your body. This means about .5-1g of protein per pound of lean body mass (how much you weigh, minus the weight of the fat on your body), and fat and carbs split how you see best (just keep in mind that fat is not the enemy and is actually vital to getting proper nutrition; many nutrients can only be absorbed with the help of fat).

"Micros" is short for micronutrients - all the other vitamins and minerals you get from food. You need adequate amounts of these to keep everything working properly, too.

As for your calorie needs - again, what do you think is "healthy" and what you're "supposed to eat"? What are you eating for breakfast and lunch?

Wait, let me guess - egg whites and whole wheat toast for breakfast, and a giant salad, either without dressing, or with a low fat dressing for lunch. Right? If I'm at least close, then you're likely doing it wrong.

First of all, eat the whole egg. Especially when it comes to whole foods, it's really not going to hurt you. Yes, egg yolks have cholesterol, but guess what? That doesn't affect the cholesterol in your blood. Your body makes its own cholesterol, regardless of what you eat. Also, eggs are packed with nutrients, including choline and healthy fats. Add some veggies and make an omelette.

Salad is good, but it doesn't need to be the only thing. Slice up some steak, pork, chicken, fish, or other meat you enjoy and add it to the salad (and possibly make it smaller, if you're doing gigantic portions of salad). These add protein, fats, and calories. Use nutrient-dense lettuces, such as kale and spinach, instead of iceburg, and add other toppings, such as cheese or avocado (the full-fat ones, not the slim-cados; avocado fat is one of the healthiest fats out there), and finish with a high-quality oil and vinegar dressing or other one you enjoy. Alternative, make the salad smaller, and make it a side to other things, like a filet of fish.

If you're still finding yourself with 1000 calories or some absurd amount at dinner, then have the cheesesteak! Your body needs the calories, it will put that food to good use. Make it at home, with high quality ingredients, and it's not nearly as bad as you're afraid it will be.

If you're at a loss for meal ideas, check out whole-food-based lifestyle sites, such as vegetarian or paleo sites, and find recipes that look good to you and you want to try. You're not stuck with egg whites, chicken breast, and salad for this.

Also, eating a 1000 calories at one meal or at three doesn't make a difference, you're still eating 1000 calories. There are a number of people here who practice what's known as Intermittent Fasting (IF), and one of the ways of doing that is eating only within a 6 or 8 hour eating windows, and another variation is basically eating your day's worth of food at one meal. That means their meal sizes are huge - 1500, 1800, 2000+ calories. And guess what? They're still eating less than their body burns, so they're still losing weight.

That doesn't mean you have to do that, of course. It's just an illustration to show that losing weight does not mean eating 100-200 calorie meals all the time.

Now, not everyone can physically eat that much food at once (I know I can't!), and that's okay, too. If you really can't handle eating 1000 calories in one sitting (be it because of your own hangups, or because you can't physically eat that much), then spread it throughout the day. Eat more calorie dense foods at breakfast and lunch. Or, eat a fourth meal, or have snacks between meals that consist of things like almonds or other foods that help you get the calories you need. If you're still struggling, then consider smoothies or other liquid sources of calories, which will give you the calories, without filling you up as much - even something as simple as a protein shake made with milk after your workouts might be enough to boost your calories up to where it needs to be.
  • dqbound
    Options
    I don't know how to quote someone on here but here is what I have a question about:

"Macros" is short for macronutrient - protein, carbs, and fat. You need to make sure you get the right of each to properly nourish your body. This means about .5-1g of protein per pound of lean body mass (how much you weigh, minus the weight of the fat on your body), and fat and carbs split how you see best (just keep in mind that fat is not the enemy and is actually vital to getting proper nutrition; many nutrients can only be absorbed with the help of fat).

"Micros" is short for micronutrients - all the other vitamins and minerals you get from food. You need adequate amounts of these to keep everything working properly, too.

I really liked this site bc it was so simple. Cal in vs cal out. Easy to document easy to accomplish. Now with the above I'm feeling like it's getting more difficult and I'm not sure I'm educated enough about nutrition to figure this all out.

I have to leave right now but I really do appreciate all the help....and I'll try to reply more tonight. Thanks so much!!!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to quote someone on here but here is what I have a question about:

I really liked this site bc it was so simple. Cal in vs cal out. Easy to document easy to accomplish. Now with the above I'm feeling like it's getting more difficult and I'm not sure I'm educated enough about nutrition to figure this all out.

I have to leave right now but I really do appreciate all the help....and I'll try to reply more tonight. Thanks so much!!!

no, it's still simple.

your calorie goal is for weight loss (or gain if that's your goal).

once you know your calorie goal, you choose foods to meet your macronutrients (and micronutrients).

macronutrients and micronutrients are about nutritional health.

very few people need to worry about micronutrients. eat a balanced diet and take a multivitamin and you should be fine.

you just need to focus on macronutrients when it comes to food choices. you track these (i only track fat and protein) on MFP and it tells you at the end of the day whether you met your goals or not.

lots of people ignore macronutrients at the beginning and focus solely on weight loss (calorie goal). over time, you'll discover that you also need to eat enough protein and fats to keep your body healthy. that's when you can start focusing on those.

in my first year, i didn't worry about macros at all. when i finally looked at them, i realized that i was consistently getting less than i needed, so i started eating peanut butter and drinking protein shakes.

the trick is setting your macro goals correctly when you are ready to start paying attention to them.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

There a link at the bottom of each comment that says "quote". Just click it and it will quote it for you. You can then edit it to remove what isn't relevant to your response. Just don't mess with the tags that wrap the quoted text.

As for the macro- and micro-nutrients, it's really not that hard. Eat a variety of quality whole foods and you'll likely get the micronutrients that you need. The macronutrients just require a calculator to get good amounts (MFP's numbers suck), and even then, it's just a starting point. Getting exactly what works for you requires fiddling with your own numbers to get the right proportion of fat and carbs to get the energy you need, while still feeling satisfied. As a rule of thumb, if you're struggling to get down to your calorie goal without feeling starved, increase your fat. If you're struggling to get up to them because you genuinely feel too full to eat, then increase carbs.
  • dqbound
    Options
    So if I'm healthy and strong than I don't need to worry about changing the setting in MFB? Maybe in a year I can revisit and see what I need?

I don't really eat any fast foods but I have been known to pack on things like cheese, pasta, bread, sweets etc.

I have really cut all that out and I'm not missing it but I guess I can start to add back some of that stuff to meet my calorie allotment?

I'm sorry if I sound totally ignorant but I really never learned about this stuff and it's like you guys are speaking Chinese. lol

Does MFP have a section where I can find a mentor? Someone to look over my diary and provide guidance? I know it's a lot to ask but maybe someone wants to take a dedicated, motivated, determined fatty under their wing? lol
  • amberflo143
    amberflo143 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I was like that too. But you have to find foods that will stick with you and that may be higher calorie foods. Don't deprive yourself as the result could be a ugly binge. Moderation and rewards are key to this lifestyle change. Not ever eating foods I want to eat is too hard, instead of the whole bag, I have a serving. If I want to eat really bad I work out twice as hard. It has worked for me so far! Don't deprive yourself just control your self! You can do this!
  • amberflo143
    amberflo143 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary up everyone can see and wil support you!
    So if I'm healthy and strong than I don't need to worry about changing the setting in MFB? Maybe in a year I can revisit and see what I need?

I don't really eat any fast foods but I have been known to pack on things like cheese, pasta, bread, sweets etc.

I have really cut all that out and I'm not missing it but I guess I can start to add back some of that stuff to meet my calorie allotment?

I'm sorry if I sound totally ignorant but I really never learned about this stuff and it's like you guys are speaking Chinese. lol

Does MFP have a section where I can find a mentor? Someone to look over my diary and provide guidance? I know it's a lot to ask but maybe someone wants to take a dedicated, motivated, determined fatty under their wing? lol
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    You can choose to focus on calorie control first, and then we can work on your "macros" later. I know it's a lot to take in at first. I felt pretty overwhelmed, also. I worked on getting comfortable with counting calories for a couple months; a couple months ago I started to focus on where those calories were coming from (proteins, fats, and carbs; aka "macros"). It's definitely something you can work on as time goes on.

I would be more than happy to help; though, I am considerably less active on this website in the evenings than I am during the days. This will be my last post here until tomorrow morning, but do feel free to add me as a friend. When I'm back in the morning, I'll post some links to a couple other threads on here that I think you would find really helpful! In the meantime, don't get discouraged. You can do this!
  • dqbound
    Options
    Thank you! Diary open......have at it. lol
  • clambert1273
    Options
    Well, I only looked at yours for today and I can tell you a couple of things... You aren't eating enough or well enough. Drop the packaged goods (that was the hardest for me lol) and start fresh.

Lots of recipes everywhere - my favorite is to put a whole chicken in the crockpot and then cut it up into containers for the week. If I don't feel like chicken then I make something else for dinner. I usually make enough dinner to have left overs for lunch the next day (I like simple).

Tonight for example, I had 8oz of shrimp cooked in 2tbsp olive oil and cajun seasoning. I added frozen corn and green beans and had a very nice "stir fry" type of recipe. Quick and easy. I have more that I made for lunch tomorrow.

You can flip through my diary (click on my name and view diary) and see that I eat pretty dam healthy but I do love my pies, cakes, ice cream etc... Last Saturday we did our Thanksgiving dinner so I attempted to log it - that was fun lol I figured I burned that off cooking for 10 hours :)

I look at diaries all the time to get ideas as some people have great ideas and I might not have ever figured it out. One recipe I found on here was Greek Yogurt Chicken (power protein right there) and Mexican Spaghetti Squash.. excellent recipes both of them and something I would have never thought about.

I still eat what I want, just in a different capacity than I used to. I don't eat the whole pint of Ben & Jerry's - instead I weigh out my portion and enjoy every bite :) You can do this... I promise it isn't too complicated or time consuming (working full time mom of 3 lol)!!!
  • dqbound
    Options
    I don't really think I had a lot of packaged goods. The only thing on yesterdays that was was the frozen pizza which I only had bc I had so many calories to spend and according to this thread it doesn't matter where the calories come from and I was encouraged to eat what I want. It's what I had in the fridge. '

If I have to stick to chicken, salad and green beans I'll starve. lol
  • clambert1273
    Options
    I don't really think I had a lot of packaged goods. The only thing on yesterdays that was was the frozen pizza which I only had bc I had so many calories to spend and according to this thread it doesn't matter where the calories come from and I was encouraged to eat what I want. It's what I had in the fridge. '

If I have to stick to chicken, salad and green beans I'll starve. lol

shoot... I don't eat salad and green beans LOL I do love salad but they are HEFTY salads (like southwest shrimp salad - yummmmyyyy). I do eat a lot of chicken (I like it) and cook it many different ways but I don't eat 3oz or 4oz portions... I eat 6-8oz portions ,,,

Last night - I had 8oz of shrimp :bigsmile: I don't eat anything out of the ordinary... just lots of it lol