Opinions on living in Denver, CO

Options
awtume9
awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
Hey all! I currently live in the Lake Tahoe area, and employment is scarce around here. I do love it here so much, I love the mountains. However, my boyfriend has family in Denver and they have gotten me thinking about moving that way. I know that the cost of living is about 15% more in Denver than here, but there are also a lot more job opportunities. Denver is consistently rated as one of the best places to live in the U.S. as well as having one of the healthiest populations in the country. I love hiking and I know there are great spots out there. At this point, nothing is really keeping me in Nevada, besides my family, but Denver isn't that far. Anyone that has lived there/does live there, or has visited, how do you feel about it? Thank you!

Replies

• theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Peyton Manning....

that is all
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Weed is legal....nuff said
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I've been to both. They're pretty similar. The Rockies are a little different than the Sierras but not much. They're still better than where I live in Kansas City. Denver is definitely fun, Red Rocks Amphitheater is hands down the best place to see a show in the world, everyone is super fit there, and yes, the is a dispensary or five on every block. I do love Tahoe though...and it's only two hours from June Lake!
  • jwolfers
    Options
    born and raised up there...if you are an avid fitness person and really enjoy hiking/biking etc... you will aboslutely love it. obviously it can get chilly and snow but denver actually has more days of sun than most places in the country(300+ each year). the weather itself is very mild overall and obviously the scenery is great

coming from tahoe it is definitely a larger city with a lot more employment potential along with the added entertainment options. needless to say i'd still be living there if my job and wifes family didn't keep me where i am now.
  • awtume9
    Options
    Peyton Manning....

that is all

Lol! I'm not a huge Manning fan, but it would still be fun to go to some games!
  • awtume9
    Options
    Weed is legal....nuff said

Not a smoker but I realize that's a big attraction for a lot of people! haha
  • awtume9
    Options
    I've been to both. They're pretty similar. The Rockies are a little different than the Sierras but not much. They're still better than where I live in Kansas City. Denver is definitely fun, Red Rocks Amphitheater is hands down the best place to see a show in the world, everyone is super fit there, and yes, the is a dispensary or five on every block. I do love Tahoe though...and it's only two hours from June Lake!

Yes I love that it's still in the mountains, and entertainment is pretty nonexistent around here besides gambling, haha!
  • awtume9
    Options
    born and raised up there...if you are an avid fitness person and really enjoy hiking/biking etc... you will aboslutely love it. obviously it can get chilly and snow but denver actually has more days of sun than most places in the country(300+ each year). the weather itself is very mild overall and obviously the scenery is great

coming from tahoe it is definitely a larger city with a lot more employment potential along with the added entertainment options. needless to say i'd still be living there if my job and wifes family didn't keep me where i am now.

Thank you! This is just what I was looking for! The summers are crazy hot here, and the winters are super cold. I don't mind the cold winters, but it would definitely be nice to have milder summers!
  • jwolfers
    Options

Thank you! This is just what I was looking for! The summers are crazy hot here, and the winters are super cold. I don't mind the cold winters, but it would definitely be nice to have milder summers!

most days in the winter will hover in the 40's and 50's, and then you will have the extremes when a hard cold front moves through. summer is fantastic...it can get up into the high 90's and break 100 occasionally but because it's so dry it really isn't bad. you truly get 4 seasons which i really miss now that i'm in houston. i'd recommend it if you are at all interested in moving that way
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Bump for answers. My husband and I are also looking to relocated to Denver.
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    This would be my husbands dream to move here.
  • awtume9
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the help!
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Born and raised in Colorado as well. I'm probably biased but it is incredible here. I moved to Washington DC in my late 20's to experience something new but after getting married and having my first child I came back here as fast as I could! I live 10 minutes from Red Rocks as somebody else mentioned the incredible shows there, it is also a phenomenal place to work out. There is actually a free boot camp at Red Rocks that is amazing! Here is the guy's website. His name is Joe. http://itburnsjoefitness.com/ My husband was born and raised in Baltimore and he LOVES it here as well. The cost of living is amazing here. My husband took a very slight pay cut moving here from the east coast but the cost of living more than makes up for that. We were able to buy a single family 4 bedroom 3 car garage house with a huge yard for only $10,000 more than what we sold our dinky townhouse for back east. Best of luck to you whatever you decide!
  • awtume9
    Options
    Born and raised in Colorado as well. I'm probably biased but it is incredible here. I moved to Washington DC in my late 20's to experience something new but after getting married and having my first child I came back here as fast as I could! I live 10 minutes from Red Rocks as somebody else mentioned the incredible shows there, it is also a phenomenal place to work out. There is actually a free boot camp at Red Rocks that is amazing! Here is the guy's website. His name is Joe. http://itburnsjoefitness.com/ My husband was born and raised in Baltimore and he LOVES it here as well. The cost of living is amazing here. My husband took a very slight pay cut moving here from the east coast but the cost of living more than makes up for that. We were able to buy a single family 4 bedroom 3 car garage house with a huge yard for only $10,000 more than what we sold our dinky townhouse for back east. Best of luck to you whatever you decide!

Thank you so much! It definitely seems like a great place to live!
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I live in Denver and I wouldn't live anywhere else. The mountains are close and outdoor activities are endless! It's a casual city and people are pretty laid back and cool.

tons of mountain bike trails and paved trails
    hiking everywhere
    Red Rocks
    skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing
    Sunshine all year long!
    awesome music scene
    amazing beer
    fairly liberal
    you can wear jeans everywhere
    marijuana is legal

Have I missed anything?
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Depends upon employment. Colorado is not an exceptional labor market. Unless you are qualified to work to on an oil field in North Dakota, your own personal labor market is likely over saturated.
  • awtume9
    Options
    I live in Denver and I wouldn't live anywhere else. The mountains are close and outdoor activities are endless! It's a casual city and people are pretty laid back and cool.

tons of mountain bike trails and paved trails
    hiking everywhere
    Red Rocks
    skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing
    Sunshine all year long!
    awesome music scene
    amazing beer
    fairly liberal
    marijuana is legal

Have I missed anything?

Lol sounds perfect for me :]
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options

i see more yoga pants than jeans. haha.

we moved here 13 (14?) years ago; it took about 11 years for me to finally call it home, but i do love it and would be sad to leave. :) in addition to the fitness accessibility, we also have lots of great restaurants! the two weeks of 5280 are some of my favorite. skiing and hiking within an hour of most locations. races (running) are year round. lots of small neighborhood lakes. many opportunities to try any and every hobby, including cheese-making, book-binding or glass-blowing (yeah and lots of others too). great sports teams to cheer for, especially hockey. lots of museums and cultural diversity. comedy clubs. several good school districts/charter schools. no state income tax.

negatives: traffic (they are behind other larger cities on public transportation availability but are trying to catch up), cost of living, landlocked (fresh seafood and price of gasoline), it's a fairly transient city. all new housing developments seem to be cookie-cutter. several bad school districts.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I've lived in the Denver area (western suburbs) since I was 4. I really like it. Very active culture, lots of outdoor actives. Lots of "city" stuff too. The light rail system is really nice these days (especially if you work down town).