Replies

• SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I love Bluebonnet.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I'm not too brand loyal, but I will say that I like buying Vanilla if only because I like to add fruit to mine and I feel like vanilla gives me a good foundation to have tasty, fruity protein shakes. :) I typically do a serving of the vanilla, a frozen banana, and then whatever other frozen (or not frozen) fruit I'd like my shake to taste like. :)

Good luck to you, and have fun with it. :)
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I take Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey (WPI- Whey Protein Isolates). I buy the Vanilla Ice Cream flavor from the Vitamin Shoppe- comes in 2 lb. and 5 lb. containers (for $23.99 and $57.99 respectively). I mix it with yogurt and nonfat milk sometimes. It's really tasty!

I bought a 5 lb. container of this protein from Costco, for $54.99 only to realize that it's 'performance whey', which has more protein and a little more carbs-presumably for more athletic people? So I returned it and got the one from The Vitamin Shoppe.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    There is no correct answer to this question. Only personal preference. I use ON gold standard. I prefer the extreme milk chocolate flavor, banana is ok, strawberry is ok. Cookies and cream sucks. Ymmv.

Also the ON casean in chocolate peanut butter sucks. Dymatize casean in cinamon roll is pretty good. Again, ymmv.
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk Cookies and Cream is by far the best tasting I've found. The Cookie Dough and Vanilla Cream isn't bad either. It mixes much easier than any other I've tried as well.
  • bcorbin34
    bcorbin34 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree with the post, if someone you know does it, try out theirs for flavor. Whey is great for muscle, but there are so many brands it really comes down to what your taste buds like in order to stick with it. Good luck
  • kingtermite
    kingtermite Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    What kind/brand of protein powder is the best in terms of health and taste?

Foodbabe is a great blog to research best foods/brands to use.

http://foodbabe.com/2012/12/13/the-healthiest-protein-powders-on-the-market/

http://foodbabe.com/2013/02/22/investigating-protein-powders-sun-warrior-giveaway-900-value/

That being said...I've been using this one.
    http://www.iherb.com/Life-Time-Life-s-Basics-Plant-Protein-Powder-with-Greens-20-5-oz-1-lb-4-5-oz/13695

MY requirements:
    Plant-based, contains greens too, high protein (this one had about the highest amount of protein per serving than almost any I saw).

It has an almost vanilla-ish type flavor. I mix it to fruit juice/smoothie and it just sort of gives it a sweet/creamy taste. It doesn't strongly "affect" the flavor.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I love Bluebonnet.

Another vote for Bluebonnet here.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'm not too brand loyal, but I will say that I like buying Vanilla if only because I like to add fruit to mine and I feel like vanilla gives me a good foundation to have tasty, fruity protein shakes. :) I typically do a serving of the vanilla, a frozen banana, and then whatever other frozen (or not frozen) fruit I'd like my shake to taste like. :)

Good luck to you, and have fun with it. :)

I agree. I usually like vanilla or original flavor for that reason. I am not a fan of whey protein( taste wise and my body does not like it) so I am trying different vegetarian/vegan protein powders. I have not tried that many yet, but I loved Vitacost Brand Soy Protein powder ( inexpensive and it tasted good). I even liked it in chocolate. I have heard of problems with soy so I am going to try other types of protein powder after I run out of the Jarrow Formulas Soy Protein I have. It works great for my fruit smoothies and I don't find myself getting acidy as a result but it is a little chalky.

I usually do two servings of Jarrow Formulas Soy protein powder original, 2 cups of strawberries ( maybe a banana), 1.5 cups of almond milk, and 1 TBS organic sugar to taste. It tastes really good to me and is a large portion at a reasonable calorie cost.

I tried Hemp protein and it was terrible so I don't recommend it.

I usually stick to the soy protein because it is less expensive and I do not have much money.
  • JDBLY11
    Options
    What kind/brand of protein powder is the best in terms of health and taste?

Foodbabe is a great blog to research best foods/brands to use.

http://foodbabe.com/2012/12/13/the-healthiest-protein-powders-on-the-market/

http://foodbabe.com/2013/02/22/investigating-protein-powders-sun-warrior-giveaway-900-value/

That being said...I've been using this one.
    http://www.iherb.com/Life-Time-Life-s-Basics-Plant-Protein-Powder-with-Greens-20-5-oz-1-lb-4-5-oz/13695

MY requirements:
    Plant-based, contains greens too, high protein (this one had about the highest amount of protein per serving than almost any I saw).

It has an almost vanilla-ish type flavor. I mix it to fruit juice/smoothie and it just sort of gives it a sweet/creamy taste. It doesn't strongly "affect" the flavor.

I am going to try that brand at some point. It sounds good.
  • JDBLY11
    Options
    Oh, I also tried Optimum Nutrition Strawberry Whey Protein Powder in the past and it was good if you are looking for something very blendable to take just in water, juice, or milk. I got 5 lbs and it lasted several months.
  • TheRightWeigh
    TheRightWeigh Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Bump for later...i be gettin my shake onnnnn
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Cellucor Cookies and cream or cinnamon swirl or Peanut butter marshmellow.

Wish I could find some vegan friendly flavors like this...
  • sar24
    sar24 Posts: 20
    Options
    Isopure zero carb and Shakeology
  • caitlynah12
    Options
    bump :)
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    One thing to be careful with is some companies labels are misleading. They will add separate amino acids and claim the powder has 25 grams protein when in fact it only has 15 or 20. This is called amino spiking. If the powder has a separate amino acid listed after the protein profile and the price is inexpensive, chances are the company amino spiked it.
    Here is a video talking about it.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzzYnZ8GIzfB1Vr3hk2Nj9Q
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Kaizen. They are a Canadian company that sources all of its whey protein only from Canada, New Zealand, and Ireland. Whey Protein Isolate is easier for the body to digest and absorb than any other source of protein including soy protein and regular milk protein. It is very high in branched chain amino acids (valine, leucine, isoleucine) which help maintain healthy muscle tissue and prevent muscle breakdown. Their formula also provides a high concentration of immunoglobulins which are proven to stimulate immune health and response. Unlike many other sources of protein like soy, whey protein isolate contains all the essential and nonessential amino acids.

I don't think you can get it in the US, which is a shame. It's one protein powder (comes in either chocolate or vanilla) that mixes easily and tastes really good.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey -- Whey Isolates... I get the flavor Cookies and Cream and it's orgasmic. 24g of protein/scoop and only 3 carbs. I'm also lactose intolerant and it doesn't hurt my stomach.
  • a_doublej
    a_doublej Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Beverly International UMP - Rocky Road

Nom.
  • Malaylah
    Options
    I LOVE chocolate Promasil. I make it with half cold water and half hot water so it's like drinking hot chocolate. I also like Isopure zero carb proteins.