MFP Biking Group 7/21/2008

Options
shorerider
shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
It's a new week, gang! How does everyone feel after last week?

It is HOT HOT HOT Here! I went out this morning and got in 24 miles then had to call hubby for a SAG--it was just too unbearable to continue.

I'm not sure how many miles I'll get this week--got to go out of town for 2 days for business, leaving tomorrow, so that is going to mess me up. But I think I'll shoot for 100 still but we'll see!

Monday--24 miles

Replies

• shorerider
    Options
    It's a new week, gang! How does everyone feel after last week?

It is HOT HOT HOT Here! I went out this morning and got in 24 miles then had to call hubby for a SAG--it was just too unbearable to continue.

I'm not sure how many miles I'll get this week--got to go out of town for 2 days for business, leaving tomorrow, so that is going to mess me up. But I think I'll shoot for 100 still but we'll see!

Monday--24 miles
  • michaelhe
    michaelhe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'll shoot for 40... the weather report makes it look like there will be at least two days that I could consider riding my bike to work. This would be my first time biking to work so I really need to motivate myself!!

I know the first time is the most difficult. I'm an A-1 procrastinator, so that is my biggest obstacle.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    My goal this week is 100 miles.

Mon am - 11 miles & walked 3 miles
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I hurt my neck last week and am still recovering - I can't move my head very well at the moment. As such I kinda fell flat with hitting my goal for the week - a lowly 7 miles out of 35 :(. I'm giving myself the same goal for the week and hoping I can hit it - I won't stress it too much, since my neck really flipping hurts.

I'm going out today for a few miles since I just researched a new trail to try out. Should be fun because its about 2 miles of downhill/flat, followed by about 5 miles uphill, and finally a mile downhill again. Yay hills! Luckily its mostly through parks and off roads so i don't need to turn my head too much.
  • shorerider
    Options
    I hurt my neck last week and am still recovering - I can't move my head very well at the moment. As such I kinda fell flat with hitting my goal for the week - a lowly 7 miles out of 35 :(. I'm giving myself the same goal for the week and hoping I can hit it - I won't stress it too much, since my neck really flipping hurts.

I'm going out today for a few miles since I just researched a new trail to try out. Should be fun because its about 2 miles of downhill/flat, followed by about 5 miles uphill, and finally a mile downhill again. Yay hills! Luckily its mostly through parks and off roads so i don't need to turn my head too much.

OUCH! Be careful!
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Mon pm - walked/ran 4.55 miles
  • msarro
    Options
    Rode 4 miles in record time without breaking a sweat. I realized that if you stick to roads the sound of cars wooshing by tends to speed you up.
  • shorerider
    Options
    Rode 4 miles in record time without breaking a sweat. I realized that if you stick to roads the sound of cars wooshing by tends to speed you up.

Try the sound of farm trucks and construction equipment! I get farm trucks--and I mean the big ones they use in harvesting now--passing me REALLY close all the time. Scary.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    funnyjunksite-_bike.jpg
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    funnyjunksite-_bike.jpg

Gosh, I hate it when that happens!!!!:laugh:
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Mon pm - walked/ran 4.55 miles
    Tuesday am - 12.2 miles & walked 3 miles
  • familybugs
    familybugs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Last week 99 miles

This week goal is 125 miles
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    It is raining here today, which we are in great need of, but it makes riding a bike a little on the unpleasant side. It is supposed to be stormy all day. So I guess I will drag my butt to the gym tonight when my hubby gets home. I hate the gym...I would much rather be outside. Over cast days make me tired, crabby and want to eat all day. Maybe I should whine some more!!!!!!! :yawn:
  • janetbr
    janetbr Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I would love to get started biking with y'all. I have signed up for an event to support our Wounded Warriors and trying to raise money for the organization. The big ride is on Veteran's Day (11/11). I've never been a biker so I guess the best place to start is just getting on the bike and riding. I have to give the group the total number of miles I plan to ride the day of the event. Any ideas how to determine that goal? Any suggestions on how to get started is appreciated? I'm having trouble sticking to a healthy lifestyle so I'm hoping this will help.
  • cecreech
    cecreech Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I need to get out and ride but it is over 100 with an index of 108. I almost had a heat stroke last year in this weather and so I have learned my lesson. (saw stars and blacked out a moment) I have walked some and swum a little. Still losing weight. It is supposed to be down in the 80s this weekend here and I can hardly wait! If it gets in the low 90s out there then I will ride then. I have learned to pay attention to that heart rate monitor with the heat is really over 95 and I am over 45! I will be checking into the MS 150 in our area. I would suggest you guys look into it. Just google "MS 150" and your state to find your ride. I have done it with my boys twice. Looks like this year I will be alone - with 1600 other cyclists!
  • cecreech
    cecreech Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi Janetbr, you are going to love cycling and I am so happy you are riding for a cause that you believe in. (am going to look it up and see if there is one here) I have been cycling for a few years now and ride a road bike. I also have a mountain bike. Some folks ride a "hybrid" bike which lets a person ride in a more upright position. The most I have ever ridden in a day was 100 miles (called a century) and I did that ride about 75lbs over my ideal weight. I got started in cycling riding around town with my boys but I really learned that I was a cyclist on my first MS 150 3 years ago. Out of some 1200 cyclists I was the last person across the line. I finished. I had an average speed of about 9mph and took every little break I could. I could not climb most hills. What I learned about myself was that I was determined to do this. I learned I really wanted this.
    Over the last 2 years I have gotten serious. I have spent more money on my bike than I have on some cars I have owned. I have dedicated most weekends and most early mornings and evenings to riding. Even with all of that riding I did not see the weight come off until I met my new buddies here at MFP. I have been learning how to eat like a cyclist. I hope that by this time next year I will be in the best shape of my life at 48. I said all of that to say my best advise is to have lots of fun! You can do it!
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Hi all,

I would love to get started biking with y'all. I have signed up for an event to support our Wounded Warriors and trying to raise money for the organization. The big ride is on Veteran's Day (11/11). I've never been a biker so I guess the best place to start is just getting on the bike and riding. I have to give the group the total number of miles I plan to ride the day of the event. Any ideas how to determine that goal? Any suggestions on how to get started is appreciated? I'm having trouble sticking to a healthy lifestyle so I'm hoping this will help.

Get on and start. My first time out (on a huffy mtn bike) I rode 5 miles and was PROUD. It was hard too. Now I ride at least 10 miles a day and my max so far is 33 miles. I started riding in February. I plan of doing a ride for Parkinsons disease in Sept. I think we are signing up for the 60 mile ride. That will be a push for me but goals are set to be met and I think I will be able to do it.
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    Hi all,

Any suggestions on how to get started is appreciated? I'm having trouble sticking to a healthy lifestyle so I'm hoping this will help.

Take a bike and ride as far as you cofortably can and then a little further.
    Take that milage and add 10% every week.
    Aim to ride at least 3 x a week.
    Take a week breal after three weeks.
    Start with a 20% - 25% higher milage.

Make that plan until November and you'll get a pretty good idea what milage to give them.
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    I did not fall of the earth, just very busy.

My week starts Saturdays because of wrok schedule and because it just worked out like that.
    This Saturday was a group ride with the local bicycle club. I worked 12 hours that night but was lucky that I had to sit 8 of them, i.e. I was not on my feet all the time. so I thought let's see how it goes. Just kinds wanted to test what I can still do when already tired. We rode 37 miles and I am honest, it was a little hard at the end. And hot!

Yesterday I had a 60 mile ride scheduled. I tend to ride in areas where I have already been so that some roads are familiar and extend my trip beyond that. So I choose Chesapeake City as a starting point and a nice loop all across the state and back. I printed the parts that I thought are critical and that I was not familiar with from mapquest. Got up early, and was a t my starting point at 6:30 am. Still nice and cool. I started riding, paced myself so I did not go to fast and rode the first 15 miles on roads that I knew from previous trip. After that it was pretty straight forward as far as following the map, so I had no problem. Most roads where nice quiet back country roads, very little traffic. The first 50 miles were really just nice quiet uneventful pedaling. Where I screwed up was at the end of the trip. Somehow that printout did not match what I saw in reality. That one road where I should have taken a right turn never came. Bummer! So here I am almost at the end of my trip (according to the computer) and no map. Hmmmm.... well, I k now which direction my starting point roughly is. And I know I can not miss the main road back there without dropping in the ocean. So I just keep riding. Mileage piling up. Darn it! 60 miles and no end in sight. Finally a road where I can turn right. I follow it. Horse country. A horse farm another horse farm Yet another horse farm..... but nice riding. Then I take a turn knowing that this direction will take me towards the main street if nothing else. After a few hundred yards I had to stop at a road construction. I asked the first human being I have seen since hours (that's what it felt like) for directions. He directed me in the right direction. I followed his direction and ride and ride... men I should be there by now! After a turn of the road I see the metal bow of the Chesapeake City bridge over the trees. So close I could almost grab it! I am there! I made it! Total of that adventure: 70 miles.

Today I wanted to see how far I can ride after the big ride yesterday. I was not sore and felt great. so i took the bike out for yet another ride. After 10 miles I still felt good, so I kept going. My favorite loop around the state park: 28 miles.

Makes a total of 135 miles so far.
  • msarro
    Options
    Been constant rain every night this week, and looking like rain again - so i've detoured a little and have been playing tennis instead until the rain clears up. Its surprisingly fun, and its easy on my neck since I don't have to turn to look for cars.

However, does anyone know any jersey designers? I think it may be fun to get together a MFP jersey for cyclists and other folks who would be interested.