Has anyone experimented with intermittent fasting?

Options
Like this? http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/08/06/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/

I'd like to try it though it sounds like I'd be starving, ha. :) Any pro fasters here, or people who've tried it and it definitely didn't work for you? Tips to not be hungry?

Replies

• laura0770
    laura0770 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I eat my first meal in between 11:00-12:00 everday ( I wake up at 6:30 am). I try to eat everything withen an 8 hour window and I am never hungry, :smile:
  • gwenversue
    gwenversue Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just started, also trying to drink 3l a day, so starting with a litre of water and a cup of tea, seems to squash my morning hunger. Breakfast and tea, with some fruit, satsuma a for lunch.m heard a lot of positive things about it, helping portion control, feeling well etc. good luck.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Yep, I do 16:8 lean gaisn style and love it. It fits perfectly into my lifestyle. It took a little bit of time to adjust to but once you get used to it you don't really get that hungry anymore
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Interesting! Thanks for sharing your experience, everyone. :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    Options
    An eight hour eating window is what I naturally do anyway...just like when I was a child. So, yes, I do IF - it's what works for me to be able to eat two large meals a day. I just never knew it had a name until a couple years ago.

Find what works for you. It's always about calories and adherence.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I do it. I eat between 6 PM and 8 PM (which, granted, is a rather extreme form of IF), and I love it. You get used to not eating during the day, and feasting time is absolutely glorious. It feels like cheat day every day. I just finished a double turkey cheeseburger with a whole bag of frozen veg, next is cottage cheese with carrots, then a flapjack, then a bowl of cereal, then ice cream, and a protein shake to round it out.

You bet I'm stuffed silly every night. And I'm losing weight doing it. :)
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I don't have any hard and fast rules about my eating habits, but I generally just have coffee in the mornings, and then either nothing until I get home from work or a Clif bar, baked oatmeal, or something similar between 2 and 4pm and iced coffee with a little milk when I get home.

I like to eat something small like that in the late afternoon/early evening because I do most of my workouts when I get home from work, between 5 and 7, depending on the day, and want something to fuel them.

Then I eat dinner and a variety of snacks over the course of the evening. Most of my eating happens between 6 and 10pm, but as I say, nothing hard and fast about it. If I get really hungry, I'll eat lunch and another snack. I just find that I feel hungrier and have a more difficult time controlling my food choices and my portions if I eat breakfast and lunch regularly.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    yup. just like the article says, go into it slow. one day skip breakfast. then little by little you'll be doing it multiple times a week. i do it about 3-4 times a week

ps, nerd fitness is great stuff.
  • movieman2742
    movieman2742 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did it back when I was losing weight. Combined with a keto diet it worked wonders. I'm currently in a bulking phase, eating close to 4000 calories, so it's not ideal for me and this current time. It takes some getting used to that's for sure. Water is your BFF early on until you adapt to the eating style.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I lost nearly all my weight with alternate day fasting (JUDDD - Dr. Johnson's Up Day Down Day diet). Easy peasy and I've been maintaining for nearly a year.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I started out believing I had to eat "six meals per day". Lost weight just fine. Was never really hungry but was never really full either.

Then I heard people having great success with IF so I tried that. Lost weight just fine. Pretty easy for me because I dont really like eating first thing in the morning.

Saw no difference in weight loss between the two other than I sometimes ate when I was not really hungry on the six meals per day.

I now have coffee in the morning and then eat breakfast when I get hungry. (Usually around 12-1) So I guess technically I still follow IF unless its the weekend and want to eat with the family.

I believe the benefits are a little over stated and weight control comes down to managing calories far more than meal timing. People are going to see the best results from whatever they can stick to. Try it out and if it you like it then great but if you dont like it find something else that you can stick to.
  • frankiedb
    frankiedb Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Yep! I fast 4 times a week. My eating window is 7 am to 3 pm.