Gah! The hated plateau.

Options
/whine active/

I've been stuck between 196 and 198 for almost two weeks with one little bump to 195 for 1 day's weigh in last week. This after losing 17 pounds in a little over 2 months. Looking at my calorie tracking I've been logging a average weekly net calorie intake of 1600 to 1800 for this past 2-1/2 months. According to the MFP fitness goal calculator my maintenance calorie intake is 2310.

Activity level was elevated over the last 3 weeks to month. Not sure if/how that would factor in to this plateau.

Fiddle-sticks and fooey. Going to have the girlfriend help me take some measurements to see if I'm losing inches. If that isn't happening going to have to re-evaluate my calorie accuracy, and fitness tracking. Something may be amiss...

/whine off/

Replies

• KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I just recently got out of a 3 week plateau. I've lost like 6 pounds the past couple weeks. Enjoy the victory whoosh when it comes, it's a glorious feeling.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    3 weeks isn't a plateau. Just keep doing what you're doing.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    3 weeks isn't a plateau. Just keep doing what you're doing.

This. Three weeks is not long enough to determine whether or not you are in a plateau. Six weeks with ZERO movement on the scale is a better indicator. Keep doing what you are doing and if nothing changes, come back and post or feel free to message me for additional advice.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I agree, that's not long enough to be considered a plateau. Give it more time :)
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I keep thinking I'm plateaued, then out of nowhere it's gone. Patience sucks. Weight loss should be simple and linear. But it's not. It's cyclic and it's annoying.

Still better than the alternative!
  • ArturiaPendragon
    Options
    Wow, three weeks? I've been on a three month plateau. I've tried raising calories for a while then dropping, trying new exercises, everything. Finally just decided to lower my calories, stick to that, and try some squats. We'll see how it goes.
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I've had three weeks without a loss also. It's super frustrating but I don't think I can label it a plateau as of yet.
    Just trying to muddle through and not dwell.
    Trying some new things at the gym also, took a Yoga class tonight for the first time. Anyway, good luck!
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Good news! My measurements are down 1/4" on the neck, and 1/2" on both the waist and hips over last week. That's 1/2", 1" and 1/2" respectively over the past two weeks.

As you may have guessed, patience is a virtue [that can kiss my impatient big toe!]
  • drenergy
    drenergy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I've plateaued before for 6 weeks or more. What works for me is taking a week to just sort of relax, maybe take a couple rest days and eat more like maintenance and then get back into a new routine. Do your workouts backwards. If you are doing a lot of one kind of activity (for me it's running) then try some new things, add more strength training, or trying a new cardio (there's a lot out there--hiking, biking, swimming, all of the 'ings' haha). Run hills or sprints instead of steady paces. Try HIIT. Look up some recipes and try new foods (I get into the habit of seriously eating like the same 3 meals). The important thing is to not let it frustrate you. You have the rest of your life to figure out balance and you've already done really well. Sometimes your body just needs to do its own thing for a few weeks and then BAM there it goes again. ;)