Almond butter? Almond MILK? What's the scoop?

Options
khollyk
khollyk Posts: 150 Member
I'm new here and keep reading about people using almond butter and almond milk? I think I've heard of almond butter (creamed almonds, kind of like peanut butter) but don't know the nutritional value behind it. And what about almond milk? Never heard of that. Anyone who could enlighten me...I'd be greatly appreciative. :)

Replies

• tim_fitbuilt4life
    tim_fitbuilt4life Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I never heard of it either please let me know how you can extract fluid from an almond (puzzled look).
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    You buy it in the grocery store next to the soy milk products in the diary. And it does come from almonds many say it's better than soy. I beg to differ the only one that taste better is the Dark Chocolate almond. Just wait they will find it causes medically problems like everything else. I think it looks too much like breast milk.
  • ILKB
    ILKB Posts: 1
    Options
    Almond butter is delicious! The best place to get it is in a health food/natural food store. It's good to use on a cracker or a piece of toast with some natural peanut butter. I've never had almond milk, but it's probably good as well.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I think almond butter offers a bit more Vitamin E and calcium but side by side the 2 are pretty close. I like both and will switch things up with the almond butter as the taste is a little different. My husband perfers the peanut butter. All in all I think it boils down to taste. I've never had almond milk but don't like soy so really never had the desire to try it. I'm all for adding some healthy options...same old same old gets tiring sometimes.
  • totalimageguy
    totalimageguy Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is really good on cereal and its very low sugar as well. Just be sure to buy the unsweetened version.
  • Shaqueta
    Options
    I haven't tried Almond butter but I switched from vanilla soy milk 90 calories a cup to original Almond milk (Blue Diamond brand) 60 calories a cup. Its great. I've tried Silk almond milk but its not as good as Blue Diamonds. I admit I can't find it everywhere so I buy 2 at a time when I get it. I use it in cereal, in the morning with my carnation breakfast essentials powder mix, and anyother time. This from the girl who didn't like regular milk. I love it. Its healthy and the calories are a good thing as well.
  • yomamatwo
    yomamatwo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use Almond Milk on cereal . It is great! I also use it in my coffee in the mornings.
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    Almond butter has more vitamin E, iron, and a little more calcium, and has less saturated fat. The main difference is in acidity though, almond butter is alkaline and easier to digest. Also, from what I've seen almond butter tends to have less unnecessary additives that a lot of peanut butter has.

Almond milk is ok, less nutritional value than soy or low fat milk but generally lower calorie.
  • Shaqueta
    Options
    Almond milk is really good on cereal and its very low sugar as well. Just be sure to buy the unsweetened version.

I tried the unsweetend version and I wasn't too crazy about it. I loved the fact that it was only 40 calories but I prefer the origanal. I'm also learning that the brand makes a huge difference. What brand of unsweetened did you buy. I've only tried Blue Diamond Almond milk. Love the regular. Not in love with the unsweetened at all.
  • erikaj819
    erikaj819 Posts: 123
    Options
    I have been using the Almond milk for probably over 4 months now, I like it. I have problems with milk so I tried soy then realized it wasnt the best for you if you were ttc so i switched to almond milk. like the person before said just wait they will probably find something wrong with this too but for now im using it. I use it in my oatmeal the most, i like the vanilla or the original, the unsweetened leaves much to be desired but i still use it.
  • BMW6Series
    Options
    I use both. Someone already commented on Blue Diamond being the best Almond milk. I agree with that statement.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    You can apparently make your own almond milk as well...search for it on the net. I have yet to try it. I too buy the Blue Diamond. The only thing I HATE about almond milk is the fact that there is no protein in it?!?! I mean WTF, it is made from a NUT!

So if you are looking at some sort of milk as a source of protein that is something to think about...but we still drink it. I like the flavor.

Almond butter is just that...like peanutbutter made with almonds. Its pretty dern tasty. And generally if you look at the ingredients it is just almonds and salt maybe which is really nice.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Low carbers also use flours or 'meals' ground from almonds and other nuts to substitute for flour in recipes. Many groceries carry Bob's Red Mill brand or you can order from netrition.com or any similar site.
  • mizfit
    mizfit Posts: 118
    Options
    There are also other milk alternatives such as rice milk, oat milk and hemp milk. Cashew butter is also very yummy.
    Almond and cashew butter are cheaper to get in bulk if you can then in the jars and if you have a food processor you can make your own. I can't drink cows milk and I don't like soy so I usually use brown rice milk and almond milk. Hemp milk is really good especially the chocolate hemp milk but is very expensive.
  • totalimageguy
    totalimageguy Posts: 62 Member
    Options

I tried the unsweetend version and I wasn't too crazy about it. I loved the fact that it was only 40 calories but I prefer the origanal. I'm also learning that the brand makes a huge difference. What brand of unsweetened did you buy. I've only tried Blue Diamond Almond milk. Love the regular. Not in love with the unsweetened at all.

I use the Blue Diamond brand, vanilla or chocolate unsweetened. I am on the BFC diet, so after a while of not eating sugar everything tastes sweet ( I only eat 15 sugar grams per day )