does drinking a ton of water after a cheat day help

Options
does drinking a ton of water after a cheat day help lose weight?
i had a cheat day but i was under my calories limit still and Im chugging on water since, therefore will i gain a lot of weight i haven't had cheat day in a while!!!

i heard that if you drink 8 glasses you wont gain weight is it true??

and since i had a cheat day what workouts should i do right now??

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    No, that is completely untrue.

However, drinking water CAN help to flush out excess sodium from your body. Typically a binge day will be a high sodium day as well, causing your body to retain additional water in order to maintain homeostasis. Drinking extra water can help to flush some of the sodium and excess water from your body.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you're under your calorie limit is it really a cheat day? Water will help you flush out the extra sodium etc. I wish all it took was drinking some water to never gain weight. Weight is about calories in/calories out. Do whatever workout you normally do. One day really isn't going to have any impact on your weight unless it was one hell of a day, which you already said it wasn't because you were still under calories.
  • JessicaP1234
    JessicaP1234 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Unless you went over 3500 calories your not gonna gain anything except maybe some water weight from salt intake. 1 lb of fat = 3500 calories. You are suppose to create a deficit everyday of 500 calories. 500 calories x 7 days = 3500 calories a week (1 lb a week) So If you ate over 500 calories you probably just won't loose the whole lb that week. Keep in mind when you are trying to loose 1-2 lbs a week its a estimate so you may loose .5 lb this week and 1.5 the next to even out to 1 lb a week .. or you may go two weeks and loose nothing and then on week three you look and you have lost 2-3 lbs.
  • here2inspire
    Options

However, drinking water CAN help to flush out excess sodium from your body. Typically a binge day will be a high sodium day as well, causing your body to retain additional water in order to maintain homeostasis. Drinking extra water can help to flush some of the sodium and excess water from your body.

yes it was a very high in sodium day
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

^^^This. And staying under is not what I consider a "cheat"...but, to each his own! Maybe too many carbs in a day would be another consideration. Good luck! (and don't beat yourself up for a cheat day!)
  • summerroxygoodin
    summerroxygoodin Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Well, for me, it helped a little bit. I didn't gain any pounds after my spree at Shoguns. Gosh I love that food. Had a ton of water. At least 10+ glasses that day
  • here2inspire
    Options
    If you're under your calorie limit is it really a cheat day? Water will help you flush out the extra sodium etc. I wish all it took was drinking some water to never gain weight. Weight is about calories in/calories out. Do whatever workout you normally do. One day really isn't going to have any impact on your weight unless it was one hell of a day, which you already said it wasn't because you were still under calories.

thanks, you are right. i just feel unhealthy!
  • here2inspire
    Options
    Well, for me, it helped a little bit. I didn't gain any pounds after my spree at Shoguns. Gosh I love that food. Had a ton of water. At least 10+ glasses that day

so what do you normally consume?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    i had a cheat day but i was under my calories limit still and Im chugging on water since, therefore will i gain a lot of weight i haven't had cheat day in a while!!!

You don't gain weight from a cheat meal, but you might have some bloating and water retention. Water does help to shed water retention and helps bloating.

However, you can drink al the water you want and eat more calories than you burn and you will gain weight.

On the flip side, if you drink a lot of water and eat less calories than you burn, you didn't lose weight because of the water, you lost weight because of the calorie deficit.

Since you cheated, you should just move on and consider everything after the cheating a brand new day. You might get some extra exercise in or eat fewer calories the next day. It's really your calorie total at the end of the week that counts anyway.
  • here2inspire
    Options

^^^This. And staying under is not what I consider a "cheat"...but, to each his own! Maybe too many carbs in a day would be another consideration. Good luck! (and don't beat yourself up for a cheat day!)

its so hard though because i have a final of 21lbs to lose and thats the hardest part lol
  • here2inspire
    Options

You don't gain weight from a cheat meal, but you might have some bloating and water retention. Water does help to shed water retention and helps bloating.

However, you can drink al the water you want and eat more calories than you burn and you will gain weight.

On the flip side, if you drink a lot of water and eat less calories than you burn, you didn't lose weight because of the water, you lost weight because of the calorie deficit.

Since you cheated, you should just move on and consider everything after the cheating a brand new day. You might get some extra exercise in or eat fewer calories the next day. It's really your calorie total at the end of the week that counts anyway.

yes thank you but i feel like my tummy blow up like a balloon!!
  • here2inspire
    Options
    water doesn't help you lose weight

okay thanks
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

its so hard though because i have a final of 21lbs to lose and thats the hardest part lol

As you near your goal weight, being accurate and diligent becomes very important. If you're not already, I recommend buying a food scale and weighing, in grams, everything that you eat and logging it that way. Eyeballing or using measuring cups on solid foods can throw off your count by as much as 50%.
  • here2inspire
    Options

As you near your goal weight, being accurate and diligent becomes very important. If you're not already, I recommend buying a food scale and weighing, in grams, everything that you eat and logging it that way. Eyeballing or using measuring cups on solid foods can throw off your count by as much as 50%.

yea i do measure everything lately. any other tips lol
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You should drink more than 1/2 your body weight in oz for water daily. If you have a high sodium day, drink more water to flush out the sodium. But, you can also up your potassium (bunny food) to neutralize the sodium intake. And, being hydrated with plenty of water does reduce your fat cells. When you are dehydrated, your fat cells get bigger = gained weight.

I used to drink 150+ oz a day of soda & now drink 20+ cups a day of water, more than 1/2 my body weight in oz for water. It can be done. :)

Add me if you'd like. :)
  • D8vidFitness
    Options
    I'm going to lay it out very simple

Sodium > water retention

Replenishing h20 > cycling out sodium

less sodium > less water retention

less water retention after cheat meal > lower body weight

other than that, water is just...awesome

so yes, drink lots