Veggie Protein

Options
I see a lot of people saying to have 100-125g of protein (MFP gives me a goal of 45). What is an affordable vegetarian option that won't put me over on calories (1200+exercise)?

Replies

• KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Lots of veggie options, here is some that spring to mind

Cottage Cheese
    Greek Yoghurt
    Eggs
    Beans and pulses,
    Pasta (its surprisingly hi in protein)
    Whey protein
    fillet steak
  • GothicaAdore
    GothicaAdore Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    KingRat, I have a Greek Yogurt(which I hate the taste of) every day with lunch. I have eggs scrambled with fat free milk on rare occasion. Pasta tends to also be high calorie and with the amount of calories I have, will never take me near 100g of protein. I'll look into whey protein, thanks for the suggestion.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that you educate yourself about complimentary proteins so you can ensure that you get complete proteins in your diet from vegetarian sources. There are many plant-based foods, that when eaten together, can give your body all the amino acids it needs.

If you are a strict vegetarian, please also consider taking iron and b-12 supplements. It can be a challenge for vegetarian women to get sufficient iron, and impossible to get B-12 (some can be obtained in diary and eggs though).
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    beans
    cheese
    eggs
    greek yogurt
    tofu
    soy products/meat substitutes
    nuts
    quinoa
    protein shakes
    green peas
    spinach
  • GothicaAdore
    GothicaAdore Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hadabetter: I've been a lacto ova vegetarian since middle school. I'm in really good health, just a little chubby from being inactive :-).

Quinoa is awful, I can't swallow it. Are there any reasonably taste tolerable protein shakes that are vegan?
  • merciancuddy
    merciancuddy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    yes but what if you dont eat dairy
  • merciancuddy
    merciancuddy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    yes there is True Vitality the vanilla is great it is vegan no soy no gmo no lactose and artificial sweetners