WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• Barbsunshine7
    Barbsunshine7 Posts: 2,693 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the encouragement, Joyce! It looks like you're doing really well :flowerforyou:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    You two look happy and beautiful. thanks for sharing the picture.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Katla49
    Options
    Hello everyone! I just signed back on to MFP last week, after being off for about 3 months. So happy to find a place to hang out with women my age! My name is Barb, from Green Spring WV. I'm 52, will be 53 in February, and I originally joined MFP last spring. I lost 5 lbs from spring to August, then I became so frustrated because all of my friends on here were losing tons of weight...I found myself focusing more on my friends' success and beating myself up for not doing as well. Since being off here however, I've gained 10 lbs (!) so I know I need to get back to logging my food and exercise. I just have a really tough time losing weight since having a hysterectomy and hitting menopause.

I'm thankful for finding this group today! My goals for now are just to keep getting back to the gym, get some form of exercise in every day and stay within my calories every day. :bigsmile:

You're in good company; many of us have passed menopause. I discovered you can lose weight anyway. It takes persistence and good record keeping. Measure your portions, log your food, and move more. You'll do fine, but the losses might not be as fast as you'd wish. This is like the race between the tortoise and the hare. You know who wins. Welcome!:flowerforyou:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,805 Member
    Options
    hey there.. well look at our mug shot :laugh:
    we had a very nice lunch, and sooo wonderful to meet another friend.. Rita we will have to get together outside of work and just hang out.. and Jill? from Mass.. we have to get you down here too..
    I did pretty good grocery shopping, i did buy gingerbread m&m's just to try out, i buy little snack bags and put them in single serve sizes..
    but stuffed my fruit and veggie drawers..
    just sitting down after putting groceries away,and having lunch with a new pal....
    im tired,but still have to feed and walk the puppies,but having a wonderful cup of tea..
    I will admit I am a tea-aholic-most of the herbal tea's I buy there is no creamer involved, but Twining's makes Christmas tea at this time of year that is just devine:heart: and also bought celestial seasonings- Gingerbread Spice..mmmmmmmm
    Rita, not a good angle that way girlfriend, we both look like we have double chins, next time hold the phone up high and we will look up:wink:
    2 - days without formal exercise. its been a stressor the last couple will get back into the swing of it in the a.m.
    DH is safe and sound in florida,I hope he has a nice time..One good thing without him here I dont have to go whipping up meals every day.. I can fend for myself
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    just joined again today and how do I set this board to my favorites ? it has been a while since I have been here but coming back!!

:flowerforyou: Once you have posted on this thread, it will be listed under "My Topics" when you click on "COMMUNITY"

I hope you'll come back often, tell us about yourself, ask questions, join in the conversation.......our friendly community welcomes you......we have all been new to this and have learned and shared here.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful chilly NW Washington
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Nov 21st. Today I am thankful for 'good days'. days that I feel OK. Given the age group of this group and from reading all your posts and getting to know a lot of you, quite a few of us have long term diseases. Diseases that affect how each day can be. I am grateful for days I feel good enough to do what I want to and the other days I do what I can. I do use those days to reflect on who I am and be forever grateful for my good days. My good days are the days I can do more with my grand kids, clean the house, sometimes do to much :laugh: be more of a normal human being. My bad days, they show me how much my family loves me by the way they care for me, call me, coddle me:heart: They let me get closer to them and see who my true friends are.

We are still trying to decide what to do about my husbands health insurance. Our family doctor gave us the one name he would recommeend for his replacement for DH since he doesn't want to pay $63/month. I agree that $0/month premium is nice. His insurance 'assigned' him to another doctor if he wanted to go to him. I looked him up on the internet and there are no reviews on him. That could be good or bad. His office is in a bad section of town. We called the one doctor our own doctor suggested. Although the provider book form United Health care says he is a provider they say they are not. So now he has to make a decision. He was wanting a silver sneakers membership and if eh switched over to mine it would provide that even though he would have to go from $0 to $63/month. I do admire and respect my doctor and would be thrilled if DH would stay with him. But it is his decision. He is running out of time. It has to be done by Dec 7th.

Joyce, Indiana
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,805 Member
    Options
    evening ladies,
    I had breakfast for dinner, shredded wheat and almond milk... had a real nice day today...it was wonderful to have lunch with Rita and im used to hanging out on my own here. I have one dog snoring next to me, and the little one is hogging the rest of the bed :tongue: I have a teeny tiny corner.

ok tried a few of the gingerbread M & Ms they are ok, not what I expected.. so they will be lasting awhile..
    gonna go to bed early tonight since I have been up since 1:45 am.
    a couple of good things today( other than lunch with Rita) I bought a pair of fleece lined footless leggins, havent tried them out yet, but if I like them I will go get more.
    but the big news is, I got a call back from my kidney Dr, I no longer have to take any prescription meds, of course because we have mail order I have a drawer full, but , no more BP meds, or allopurinol for gout... whoooo hoooo, now it is just, vitamin D,macular health which is for MD,macular degeneration,magniesum,multi vitamin
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,357 Member
    Options
    Great going on the meds Grandmalie! I would love to get off bp meds.:flowerforyou:
    Glad you got together with Rita and that you have some nice alone time.

Heather
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,887 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Well David the young man who was walking my dog died last night. He was an organ and tissue donor so they had a ceremony at the hospital for him today. Funeral will be on Saturday and the choir has been asked to sing since he was one of our tenors. Really sad but better this way maybe, he flipped completely over the car and had horrific head injuries. I can picture him in heaven running with the dogs.

Grandmallie and Rita - Good picture! :happy:

In addition to working in the therapy pools at the hospital three days per week because they cut my hours I work from home doing medical transcription. It has worked really well for me as I have only one doc and do just his office notes.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in snowy SD
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Just wanted to pop in and say hi before I go to bed.

It's been another busy day at work and found out that another colleague is leaving at the end of the year. I think the pressure is too much for everyone lately,

I'm looking into taking early retirement, but I'd need to get a part time job to make ends meet until I can collect my state pension -- which I won't get until I'm 66yrs old.

Oh well I can only think about it at the moment, but I am looking to see what part time jobs are available out there.

Best get to bed or I'll be too tired tomorrow!

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Night night see you in the morning

Viv UK
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later. My 8 day trip was extended to 10. :explode:

Rori
    Exhausted and frrreeeeezzzzing in the Colorado Foothills
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Thriving Thursday!

popping in for a happy hello, busy day, saw friend and granddaughter, (with DD3). Class today.

Will catch up with all tomorrow, have a wonderful evening

BJ, SWOnt
  • Katla49
    Options
    I'm stopping in to save my place for tomorrow. Good night and best wishes.:flowerforyou:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Deb - I am so so sorry about hubby's cousin.

Did 1-1/12hr of Jari Love Extremely Ripped DVD today. Tomorrow I'll do some HIIT.

Going to leave now to go to Food Lion to get a cheesecake pan (they're the cheapest) then go to the soup kitchen and then the Green Room. Then come home and help Vince witht the decorations. Update: just made a triple chocolate cheesecake for Jessica and Kris tomorrow. Vince thinks that the whoopie pies I made are too messy. Well, now I know that you put only a tiny bit of filling in them because the top cookie pushes the filling out. But they still taste good. I think Jess and Kris will eat them. Were pretty busy at the Green Room. Sold quite a few tickets. Hope there are still seats tomorrow because I'm ushering (in the evening) and I'm hoping to be able to see the show so that if people have questions when they call to buy their tickets, I can answer them decently. Got most of the lights on the arches on. At times it was boring but I did a lot of walking back and forth between the garages and the arches getting wires, lights, etc.

Sylvia - that bruno!!!!

dizinns - welcome back!

Rita - congrats on the great loss. You and grandmalle look so fantastic! Thanks for posting and letting us share with you

barbsunshine - we're glad you found us, too. Welcome!

grandmalle - the dogs know...now that you're losing so much weight, you don't need more than a teeny tiny portion of the bed! That pic of you and Rita is just great. How did you like the gingerbread M&M's? Woohoo on the news from the kidney doc!

Michele in NC
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: DD and DGS came to visit on my break today, and we had a cup-a-tea and toddler had a cookie. Tomorrow is Friday and I am taking a girlfriend for lunch. Should be fun. I am looking forward to it.

:tongue: just trying to keep positive thoughts in the face of idiot a**hole at work.

Later
    :heart: Renny
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I had a weird night sleeping last night. My feet were really cold so I kept piling extra blankets on them and then I woke up later really uncomfortable from all the stuff on my feet and couldn't go back to sleep so I turned on the furnace for awhile and read myself back to sleep and finished my book., necessitating a trip to town to get another book out of the library ........yes, I have lots of books in my house that I haven't read, but I wanted the next one in the series.:laugh:

:bigsmile: :flowerforyou: A friend came over this afternoon for tea and a chat and she offered to walk one of the dogs so we could take both dogs out together for awhile. She said she'll come back again on Saturday and Sunday to walk the dogs with me again. Brandy and Sasha liked being outside together for awhile.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Grandmallie and Rita, great picture......glad you had a good time together

:heart: Barbie from beautiful chilly NW Washington

2506167m2q75z4kbu.gif

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    @sue I think I am always behind whether it is a day or a week :laugh:

@meg I sure hope you are feeling better! :sick:

@rita that is a great picture of you and grandmallie; so cool you ladies were able to meet :flowerforyou:

even my hubby laughed hard at that comic cause he knows it is true :bigsmile:

I started a seasonal role with Target; surely I will lose this holiday season...that's the plan.

Well, it's late already and much to do tomorrow; sweet dreams to all you wonderful ladies; sure hoping I don't wake up to freezing rain as it is no fun to drive on.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,357 Member
    Options
    Just a quick pop in as a proud mum -

DS#1 has won NOTTINGHAM COACH OF THE YEAR at an awards dinner last night!:love::love: :flowerforyou:

He is a triathlon coach and it is all the more wonderful because he suffers from depression. His website is blackdogcoach and he does a lot to help beat the stigma of depression and to help sufferers through sport as well as normal triathlon and cycling coaching.

Heather, proud mum in Hampshire UK
  • tazgirl1960
    tazgirl1960 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies, Hope this finds everyone well. Have been so busy haven't really had the time to catch up. I have been so stressed lately (work & home) and I ate so badly yesterday I didn't even post it. :embarassed: I was doing so well, but can't seem to get my head into paying attention to what I'm eating, I'm just grabbing whats easiest and moving on :angry: :explode: :grumble: . At a loss on how to get back on track at the moment. :sad:

Hope everyone has a Blessed & Wonderful Day :flowerforyou:

Tina in Florida
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    Have fallen back on posting here :grumble: . But have read all the posts.
    So much to rejoice!:flowerforyou:
    :love: Firstly Grandmallie and Rita...... lovely picture, the smiles tell us all the fun u had together. Cheers to all who r moving, exercising and eating well...... Cheering those who kind of fell off the track for a day. Love Barbie's quote If u have a reason, u will find a way.....
    All the dedicated regular posters, thanks for doing it every day without fail......
    :flowerforyou: Joyce, Heather, Michelle, Katla, Sylvia and Meg...... thanks.
    :drinker: Meg get well soon.
    Sue sorry about the young man who walked your dogs.....:heart:
    Tazgirl, one bad day cant change your goal. You fell down, so get up and walk towards your destination. Like Joyce said we r all on our own journeys, for our loved ones, there is no deadline, only a destination..... goodhealth.
    :drinker: Cheers to all who reduced their medication.
    As for me sticking to 4 litres of water per day, and yoga in the morning for half an hour. Missed the gym workout the other day as friend needed a shoulder to cry on and she does not walk or anything..... but didnt stress and fret about it ( the change, thanks to this group:blushing:) Sometimes I feel like munching non stop after I get back from work:explode: ...... ( ugh)
    Prayers for all who were effected by cyclones and hurricanes
    Best wishes
    Anamika from Mumbai