What is your waist measurment...

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am a woman so I measure at the smallest part of my natual waist, which is above the navel. I have never heard of women measuring their waist at the navel.

Anyway, my measurements are 36-26-37. I am happy with my measurements.

If you are concerned about waist circumference for health, you need to measure near the navel.

From WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/bmi-drawbacks-and-other-measurements?page=3
    Waist Size: This is as simple as it gets: wrapping a tape measure around your waist. For an accurate waist measurement, Kahan says the tape measure should encircle your waist at the top of your hip bones in your lower back and go around to the belly button.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Was 24" before kids. Even after 3 kids I barely weighed more (like 3 pounds) but could tell my waist and hips were bigger. I gained my weight when I hit 35 (the kids were middle school junior high)
    Waist got to 29" , lost weight, exercise...it,s,now 27-27.5" --- I think I am OK with that.

And I measure my waist for my looks, not health, so I go with the smallest part of my middle area.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I am a woman so I measure at the smallest part of my natual waist, which is above the navel. I have never heard of women measuring their waist at the navel.

If you are concerned about waist circumference for health, you need to measure near the navel.

From WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/bmi-drawbacks-and-other-measurements?page=3
    Waist Size: This is as simple as it gets: wrapping a tape measure around your waist. For an accurate waist measurement, Kahan says the tape measure should encircle your waist at the top of your hip bones in your lower back and go around to the belly button.

I have my health under control, thanks though.
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options

I just spent a good five minutes trying to make sure all those pieces of anatomy lined up. I had to follow from the protruding bone at the front of the pelvis to palpate the bone referenced in the above, and even then making sure I was on the suggested bone felt kind of sketchy.

My narrowest point, which is about the level of my navel, is about 24". 33" on top and 36-37" on the bottom.
  • flywithgeorge
    flywithgeorge Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I started about 280 lbs, 46-48 inch waist Now 171 lbs and waist 13. Goal 145 lbs and 28 inch waist.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Come on b.catt, you've been here long enough to know that the navel is NOT necessarily the place most (specifically) women need to measure. The narrowest part of the waist is the natural waist, which is often above the navel. For women with less difference between hips/waist, the navel will be the proper measure. For others, it is in fact the spot above their navel.

The "measuring" at the navel is not for lean woman with defined waists; most doctors, PTs, dieticians, etc. are aware of this. When belly fat is still largely present, navel can be measured. Once the stomach is leaner, it's all natural waist for health.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    My belly buttons in the wrong place lol

My waist is 26.3, belly button 33.8 and hips 34

I'd like to shrink an inch or so off the the belly button measurement for a flatter tum
  • bcattoes
    Options

I just spent a good five minutes trying to make sure all those pieces of anatomy lined up. I had to follow from the protruding bone at the front of the pelvis to palpate the bone referenced in the above, and even then making sure I was on the suggested bone felt kind of sketchy.

My narrowest point, which is about the level of my navel, is about 24". 33" on top and 36-37" on the bottom.

LOL I don't think it has to be that difficult. Other medical web sites I have seen just say something like "measure just above the hip bones, which for most people will be at or around the navel."

The point is was just that measuring at the narrowest point is very often not accurate. Not if you are looking for a healthy waist circumference.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Come on b.catt, you've been here long enough to know that the navel is NOT necessarily the place most (specifically) women need to measure. The narrowest part of the waist is the natural waist, which is often above the navel. For women with less difference between hips/waist, the navel will be the proper measure. For others, it is in fact the spot above their navel.

The "measuring" at the navel is not for lean woman with defined waists; most doctors, PTs, dieticians, etc. are aware of this. When belly fat is still largely present, navel can be measured. Once the stomach is leaner, it's all natural waist for health.

I've been healthcare a heck of a lot longer than I've been on MFP. I know the guidelines. If you are trying to get in the healthy zone on a waist circumference chart you should measure just above the hip bones.

If you are simply measuring for personal reasons, then measure wherever you want.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    My waist is what it is, because I don't plan to lose any weight. I'd like to add an inch of muscle mass to my glutes though, for a hip measurement of 38.5 inches.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I've been healthcare a heck of a lot longer than I've been on MFP. I know the guidelines. If you are trying to get in the healthy zone on a waist circumference chart you should measure just above the hip bones.

If you are simply measuring for personal reasons, then measure wherever you want.

So you still follow old health rules, I'm guessing? Sort of the doctor who still follows his training from the 60s?

I tried so hard, and got so far.
    In the end, it didn't even matter.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

So you still follow old health rules, I'm guessing? Sort of the doctor who still follows his training from the 60s?

@Bcattoes - Thank you for explaining the distinction! I've always wondered what the reason was for two different methods of measuring the waist. It makes sense that if your goal is to get a sense of how much abdominal fat a person has, you would measure above the hip bones.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Yeah, you got what you want to think. Nothing from me will change tha. Carry on.
  • Girlrose
    Girlrose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm at 24 inches and I don't want to go lower. I have a pear shape, so I have lost plenty of upper body weight, but barely any lower body weight!
  • mandi_spicer
    mandi_spicer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    27. Would like to be 26, maybe 25.
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    my waist is at 29.5 inches, and my goal is roughly 25 inches. My rough overall goal body measurements are 34-25-36. It's realistic to my current body shape, and as long as I keep with my training, i shouldn't have a problem attaining it :)
  • Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    33 now started at 38 in July
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    28.5 and happy.

ETA: female, 5'6"/135/age 48
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    31. Used to be around 45 I think.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

wow