How To Survive The Thanksgiving Banquet

Options
13»

Replies

• mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You are truly an inspiration, Sue! My journey didn't begin until December 27th last year, although I hit the point of desperation at the beginning of November, when I weighed in at the endocrinologists office at my all time highest weight ever. I was not as strong as you were - I waited until the end of December and my dietitian's appointment. And I gave myself a year - I wanted to know how far I could get in that year.

I am the Thanksgiving cook. I will spend two days in the kitchen, preparing a feast for my husband, my sons, and any of their girl friends who decide to come by. I will prepare both healthy and unhealthy options. And I will taste a little bit of everything...just to make sure I prepared it just right. Then I will do all of the cleanup myself, as this is a very special part of the day for me. When the rush of dinner preparation is over,when I can declare it has been a successful meal, I will chase everyone out of my kitchen and I will slowly and methodically put all of the leftovers away, hand wash my good China, and clean up the chaos. One rule of the house is that no one gets dessert until the dishes are done, so everyone's food will have a chance to settle before I bring out the pumpkin and apple pie, and I will have just a sliver of a piece - something that I've gotten very good at this year.

I figure I will burn at least some of the calories that I will eat because I will be on my feet for two days - I know my feet always hurt by the time it is all over! However, I know that my stomach will not hold as much as it used to and my portion sizes will be minimal.

I will have Friday off, so instead of fighting off Black Friday crowds, I will be getting an additional elliptical workout in. On Saturday, I will be running/walking a 3 mile Hot Chocolate Fun Run sponsored by the local Fleet Feet.

I have a plan. I think that is what is important - that we each have a plan. My dear friend, Sue, I know that you will be successful because you are so invincible in your journey. Since you cannot add exercise just yet, you will do what you need to do to continue on your path to success. Your plan will certainly meet your needs. I will succeed because I will not eat as much as I normally would - I will not just let myself eat everything in sight and I will control my portion sizes - and I will add exercise to my schedule.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Your Number one should be this... Drink a big glass of water BEFORE you have your first bite of anything! The rest will fall into place.
  • calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I think you should have titled this "How I plan to Survive The Thanksgiving Banquet" because it would have made this a much more personal approach (which..let's face it....MFP is our own personal journey to health/weight loss etc). My plans are going to differ from yours (not because there is anything wrong with your plans, they work for you and I commend you for sharing your personal journey) because I don't feel that I need to avoid anything (the skin is the best part of the turkey in my honest opinion...calories aside). I do plan to make vegetables a more prominent part of my plate and stuffing/mashed pototoes and creamed onions will be more bit players this year....but Thanksgiving is one of a few times that I honestly plan to forgo "counting". That is just my plan. :) I wish you well on your continued journey. :)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Great post! I'm actually not celebrating Thanksgiving with a huge feast this year, because my family will all be out of town (and it's just ludicrous to make a whole turkey for just myself, the husband and our toddler), but for others I can see how this can be really helpful to others who were dreading next Thursday.
  • Xenophonica
    Xenophonica Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've already tracked my thanksgiving meal in my food diary. Being the person that will be making the food this year will help tremendously. Knowing that I don't have to eat everything I make is a bonus! I will be adjusting my meal this week and I finalize what recipes I'm using, but I am feeding a few people who don't care about calories, but 3 of the 6 of us are. I'm planning to utilize the treadmill that day, too!
  • briana12077
    briana12077 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    What I am always trying to remember is that anything I do is a success. The fact that on thanksgiving I will not be snacking the entire time before dinner on chips and crackers and cheese and my favorite pepporoni, and all the other things, is a huge success. The fact that I will not drink any soda or any beverage other than water is a huge success. I know I can do that part! The fact that I will eat in moderation and stop when full, and make the best choices I can is a huge success. I will enjoy the food, eat slowly, gulp down water, and remember that the food isn't running away. I can try some foods tomorrow with leftovers. I don't have to eat everything in one sitting. I can eat a bit of dessert. If I want to try three pies, have tiny slivers and try them all. I know I won't be under my calorie goal (just because most of the food is going to be fattening and super high in calories) and I don't think I will log it all because its just going to be hard. I'd rather just spend my energy focusing on my successes and be proud of myself. Don't binge! That is the main goal. If I don't binge on this one day, i will not binge on the rest. I think christmas and christmas eve and all the other holidays (for me) will be much easier because usually the meals are pasta or something similar. I can count that easily and not worry. Anyways, I'm just not going to let it get me down.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Loved your tips Sue! And its a refreshing post from the "Eat whatever you want, it's only one day" posts. I dont think either opinion is "wrong". Do whatever will work for you. I'm not going to let myself eat everything in sight. Im too close to goal for that and I know it will make me feel sick. I'll still enjoy the day no matter what I eat. We're also going on a roadtrip to visit the inlaws from Wednesday-Sunday. Thats 5 days of food that i will not be preparing, eating out, and knowing that i will go over my cals every single day. I'd rather not go crazy on Thanksgiving. Just my preference. To each their own. Good luck to you and CONGRATS!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I absolutely respect your choice, and I understand that we are different people (in terms of age and ability to be active).

But I lost all of my weight while still enjoying the food prepared by my family on holidays, celebrating with them, eating treats I don't eat the other 360 days in a year. I enjoyed Thanksgiving, without guilt, shame, or deprivation, when I still had 80 pounds to lose. I didn't gain back a pound. I didn't set back my progress. I did the same last year, maintaining my weight loss, and I'll do the same this year.

We all need to find what works for us. Counting calories on Thanksgiving just isn't in my plans. My healthy friends and family, the ones who never had a weight problem, don't count calories on holidays either. They enjoy themselves for those few days, and yes - it's perfectly acceptable to acknowledge that food tastes good and is part of celebrations.

I love Go Kaleo's advice this year:

My super simple guide to surviving the Holidays:

1. Go about your life as usual. Eat how you usually eat. Exercise how you normally exercise. Sleep how you normally sleep.
    2. On the Holidays, celebrate with your loved ones. Enjoy the food that has been lovingly prepared, without guilt or shame. Eat what you want, and savor it.

The end.
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the comments from so many of you who are on this journey with me. It is good to see that some of you have come so far and are still are part of the MFP family.

I know that my plan for Thanksgiving is MY plan. I realized that many of you will make other choices and have other good ideas to celebrate the holidays without giving in to binging. That is especially helpful to those of us who still have a long way to go, before we reach our final weight loss goals.

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful posts.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I love these ideas!! I think I need to have my mom fix a salad (a real salad-not jello fluff) in addition to the green bean casserole!! :)
  • pcpharr
    pcpharr Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My super simple guide to surviving the Holidays:

1. Go about your life as usual. Eat how you usually eat. Exercise how you normally exercise. Sleep how you normally sleep.
    2. On the Holidays, celebrate with your loved ones. Enjoy the food that has been lovingly prepared, without guilt or shame. Eat what you want, and savor it.

The end.

<3 THIS ^^^^^
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    We don't do thanksgiving at all guess I am lucky. No reason to cook a huge meal for two people lol
  • mellyish
    mellyish Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I may only be 20 but I'm still working on getting my metabolism back up so an overindulgence like Thanksgiving or Christmas is a huge no-no for me. Even if it's just water weight, one really bad day can make me easily gain upwards of 5lbs which still takes a while to come off. So personally I will be bringing my food scale to the table without a care so I can know exactly how to log the meal :smile: I'll also be exercising too that day, but that's just part of my regular schedule now!
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Wonderful tips! Thank you for them. I am sorry that some negative comments have also popped up in here. =/
    Grats on your current loss, and GL on your ongoing journey! =D
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Very affirming reading for me! I have spent DECADES giving in to the temptations of holidays and suffering both the long and short term damages of doing so. I am happy for those who can, but I can't.

My dinner will be a portion of turkey, a portion of sugar free cranberry sauce, lots of green veggies, a baked sweet potato, and perhaps a portion of sugar free, dairy free pumpkin custard.

I know I'll relish what I eat and I know I'll be happy with myself on Black Friday.

It is great to read of your triumphs OP. I too was prediabetic and headed toward all kinds of medicines and potential surgeries and the whole 9 yards until I realized what I was doing to myself and what I could do to stop.

Now I pray, I plan, and I perservere- everything works together. Happy Thanksgiving to all, however you choose to celebrate! May we all have a Healthy and Happy Holiday next year as well!
  • Fiore_
    Fiore_ Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My favorite part of your story: "Make a 2013 Thanksgiving Resolution."

I love your attitude and your list of tips! I plan to log everything before I eat it. That way I can eat stress-free and focus on enjoying what I have on my plate.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    OH! I saw Hanfordrose and I had to read what you wrote. I always enjoy your perspective and the great results you have!
    Happy Thanksgiving, oh and by the way, I am thankful for you!:smile:
  • cathyg321
    cathyg321 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Saving. Great thread!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!