menopause and weight loss

Options
I am 45, found out I am in menopause and gained 8 pounds over the summer (was not due to menopause, just didn't workout as much...I think) I am back to being extremely active and training. I CANNOT get these 8 lbs off. And I am getting very annoyed. Is anyone else going through this? Does anyone have some sort of success that will keep me motivated? Does anyone have any advice? I am almost convinced that I will never get these few extra pounds off. Help please!
Thank you all!!

Replies

• Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    It it a little harder and it takes time. Just keep exercising and counting those calories and it will come off. Menopause is not a death sentence of extra weight. I lost about half of my weight before menopause and have lost the other half after so it can be done.
  • pamannmc
    pamannmc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm 48yrs old and have been going through menopause too. I gained 10 lbs over the summer. Once I joined MFP and stuck to my calorie count, I started losing the weight. I also increased my cardio (mostly interval training on the treadmill), to 4-5 times per week. Try doing 30min on the treadmill of 1min walk at 3.5 then 1min run at 5.6. This worked for me. The pounds keep dropping! Who would have thought that all it takes to lose weight is diet and exercise! lol Hope this helps.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and have been menopausal throughout this weight loss. It has takes longer than prior losses, but the pounds have come off. I'm close enough to goal that my progress has slowed, but according to this table my body fat percentage is in the middle of "ideal" for a woman my age. I figure I'm right where I need to be.
    chart-lg.jpg
  • Boydmb
    Options
    Thank you all for your response. I will keep at it. Good luck to all of you on your journey!!
  • Boydmb
    Options
    Thank you for the inspiration!
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Am I allowed to say stop whingeing you look awesome?
  • Boydmb
    Options
    Thank you emergencytenn. However I'm not whining nor looking for compliments :). I just want to stop 8 from turning into 10...then 15 etc. I wanted to know how much of this is hormonal changes and what I can do about it and if anyone else experienced this. I am not trying to be rude or disrespectful. Right now, I am concerned with my body changes.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Just teasing you, although you do look great. I'm 46 and going through the change now. I put on 3kg last year, didn't look too different but hated not fitting into clothes. I didn't change my exercise, followed MFP on a pretty small deficit and lost it over a couple of months. For me the trick was just to be really strict with the little green numbers.
  • Boydmb
    Options
    Thanks again emergencytenn for the info. The green numbers--you are talking calories right? I've been a member of MFP for a while but never used it correctly a and am still figuring everything out.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Thanks again emergencytenn for the info. The green numbers--you are talking calories right? I've been a member of MFP for a while but never used it correctly a and am still figuring everything out.

Exactly. I logged everything I ate quite strictly, measuring and weighing food and entering it into MFP. I think it is easier to lose weight slowly because that way one is less likely to feel hungry and it is not a huge change. When one only has a few kilos to lose this means one is only eating only a couple of hundred calories less than the body needs to maintain the current weight. With this in mind I logged very strictly, as just another couple of slices of cheese could take up those calories. I just did my usual sport and training, two months, three kilos, fit back into my clothes and stopped eating cheese and crackers for dessert.
  • forevermaryb
    forevermaryb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    When I lost weight when I was in my 30's, I was successful with portion control and exercise. Fast-forward to my mid-40's (nearing menopause) and a regain of all the lost weight plus more (my own fault), I thought I would just do the same as before when I successfully lost 50+ pounds. Well, it didn't happen nearly the same. This time around, the weight came off so painfully slow, and with re-gains for no apparent reason even though I was very careful with my diet (calorie-wise), that I was starting to lose motivation. I found the only way I could lose was to limit my carbs while increasing protein. Any carb, including fruit and whole grains. I severely restricted carbs (under 50g) for a while (about 3 months) and then slowly reintroduced fruits and complex carbs, but still kept it under 80g. I've just recently upped them now that I'm nearing maintenance.
  • pparish227
    Options
    So glad that you posted on here. I am fighting to lose weight and watching everything that I eat and you described my situation exactly. I gain for no reason and weight loss is coming off so slowly. Though I am trying to eat healthy, and low-fat - I have not nipped my love of carbs in the bud. Will try that and see if I begin to see a change. Thanks for your post!
  • Boydmb
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments and advice. I will try to cut carbs but wow, I may die! Hehehehe. Happy Holidays everyone!