Losing and gaining the same 4 pounds. WHY?

Options
I lose and gain the same 4 pounds every month. I don't know why. Please help. It's getting frustrating.

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    How accurately are you logging? Opening your diary would help be able to get a better picture :) Height, weight and age would probably help, too.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Consistency. Or more precisely, lack there of. That along with natural fluctuations in scale weight.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    You're female. Probability is that you are maintaining and that the 4 lbs are due to hormonal issues related to what time of the month it is.
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    If you open your dairy many of us would be glad to help! :) Please give us a little more information and let us know what your doing for exercise. I always stay steady a week before what the other poster mentioned. But lose about a pound consistently after. Very rarely gain weight if sticking with the plan. I truly believe a calorie deficit will always create a weight loss (calories in vs calories out). Are you weighing and measuring your serving sizes? Drinking extra calories from juices or milk that you are forgetting to log? Are you approaching your goal weight? Drinking the recommended amount of water daily? When I hit a stand still I had to reevaluate my serving sizes, invest in a scale and get honest with what I was eating. :) Good luck. We can figure this out!
  • TheZaxian
    TheZaxian Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that over the course of each month my weight fluctuates by 3-4lbs, which is linked pretty consistently with what 'time of the month' it is. Kinda irritating, but it just means you need to pay more attention to your average monthly weight rather than week on week.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    You're female. Probability is that you are maintaining and that the 4 lbs are due to hormonal issues related to what time of the month it is.

this would be my guess. i am sort of stuck in this place as well.
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Could be:

Hormones
    Inconsistent logging
    Inconsistent placement of a digital scale
    Inconsistent sodium intake
    Inconsistent exercise
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I started strength training 3 weeks ago and we do some heavy stuff. I wonder if that is part of the problem (in a good sense). I've red that people who are new to strength, tend to store more water in their muscles initially. I could be wrong.

I quit logging my food because I eat the same things every single day in the same amount. I've been doing this for 18 months. I don't cheat, I don't eat other types of foods ( food allergy issues ) and I rarely go above 1400 cals. I lose weight if I stick to 1200 cals but that is way too low for me because my energy tanks and I can't work out the way I want to.

i strength train 4 days a week, do yoga one day and jog 3 miles the other two days (or go for brisk walk instead).

I'm active, eat no processed foods, keep my sodium low and avoid sugar, gluten, corn, white starches, soy and dairy.

I've lost inches, yes, and I know that is something to be proud of but I want to lower my body fat (which is in the early 30s), and gain more muscle mass. I've tried eating more ( I put on weight ) less (I have very low energy ), eat the same 1300 to 1400 a day ( and maintain with these up and down 4 lbs).

Please, please, please help me out :(

Oh I am 5' 2" and fluctuate between 146 and 150...for the last few months. I've lost about 114 ( or 112) pounds so far. I'd like to make it to 120. I am 46 years old and female. No medical issues so far.

ETA: I opened my diary but you will have to go back to over a month to see daily log ins. I logged in consistently for a year and took a break a month or so ago but I really do eat the same foods every day in very similar amounts.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Yes, beginning a strength training program can cause water retention problems. But how long has the 'I gain and lose the same every month' been going on?
  • mkroyer28
    Options
    . I've lost about 114 ( or 112) pounds so far. I'd like to make it to 120. I am 46 years old and female. No medical issues so far.

ETA: I logged in consistently for a year and took a break a month or so ago but I really do eat the same foods every day in very similar amounts.

This seems glaringly obvious, to me at least. You successfully lost over 100 pounds,during which time you logged your food consistently. Then, you stopped logging because you are confident that eat more or less the same ish every day. And then you stopped losing weight (instead, fluctuating the same few pounds, which ARE most likely hormonal, but definitely water weight)..... hmmmm........ i wonder what the issue might be...... ;)
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I started strength training 3 weeks ago and we do some heavy stuff. I wonder if that is part of the problem (in a good sense). I've red that people who are new to strength, tend to store more water in their muscles initially. I could be wrong.

I quit logging my food because I eat the same things every single day in the same amount. I've been doing this for 18 months. I don't cheat, I don't eat other types of foods ( food allergy issues ) and I rarely go above 1400 cals. I lose weight if I stick to 1200 cals but that is way too low for me because my energy tanks and I can't work out the way I want to.

i strength train 4 days a week, do yoga one day and jog 3 miles the other two days (or go for brisk walk instead).

I'm active, eat no processed foods, keep my sodium low and avoid sugar, gluten, corn, white starches, soy and dairy.

I've lost inches, yes, and I know that is something to be proud of but I want to lower my body fat (which is in the early 30s), and gain more muscle mass. I've tried eating more ( I put on weight ) less (I have very low energy ), eat the same 1300 to 1400 a day ( and maintain with these up and down 4 lbs).

Oh I am 5' 2" and fluctuate between 146 and 150...for the last few months. I've lost about 114 ( or 112) pounds so far. I'd like to make it to 120. I am 46 years old and female. No medical issues so far.

ETA: I opened my diary but you will have to go back to over a month to see daily log ins. I logged in consistently for a year and took a break a month or so ago but I really do eat the same foods every day in very similar amounts.

I'll say it again... Consistency.

Or, if there's an answer you want to hear, PM it to me, I'll post it here, you can be happy you got the answer you wanted, and we can all go on with our days.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    . I've lost about 114 ( or 112) pounds so far. I'd like to make it to 120. I am 46 years old and female. No medical issues so far.

ETA: I logged in consistently for a year and took a break a month or so ago but I really do eat the same foods every day in very similar amounts.

This seems glaringly obvious, to me at least. You successfully lost over 100 pounds,during which time you logged your food consistently. Then, you stopped logging because you are confident that eat more or less the same ish every day. And then you stopped losing weight (instead, fluctuating the same few pounds, which ARE most likely hormonal, but definitely water weight)..... hmmmm........ i wonder what the issue might be...... ;)

this
  • Rhozelyn
    Rhozelyn Posts: 201 Member
    Options

You are a champ after losing >100 lb! Why not trying a maintenance period then attempt losing again. I don't see a problem if you are losing inches and exercising. Give your body a break. Maintaining weight-loss is the challenge so try that for a few months.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options

Assuming you're correct in your statement of eating exactly the same amounts as before, the answer is simply, you are eating at maintenance. Eventually with the weight you lost over the amount of time, your body has become more efficient at exercise. Also, because you're lighter, your caloric needs are lower. You simply need to eat less or exercise more. You might want to start logging again to keep track of how much less you are eating.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I'd be very hesitant / skeptical at the whole "I eat the same thing every day so I don't need to weigh/log" mentality.

I'm a pretty picky eater, so diet isn't very diverse. I chose from a fairly short list of food/meal preferences, but even so my caloric intake can vary greatly.

I can eat steak 5 days in a row and get 5 steaks that weigh different amounts and, depending on the cut, have wildly different calories. And that's just 1 example.

Food is often prepared/packaged very differently from 1 time to the next, so while you're eating the same thing every day, you're not eating the same amount every day.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options

I've been in plateau mode since July 2013; that's way before I quit logging. If I can't be honest with myself I am of no use to myself. When I tell you I eat the same amounts of food please believe me. My list of foods is fairly limited. It's very easy to keep track.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options

Assuming you're correct in your statement of eating exactly the same amounts as before, the answer is simply, you are eating at maintenance. Eventually with the weight you lost over the amount of time, your body has become more efficient at exercise. Also, because you're lighter, your caloric needs are lower. You simply need to eat less or exercise more. You might want to start logging again to keep track of how much less you are eating.

Thank you for your reply! I also considered eating less calories but that would make me a 1200 calorie a day person and I can't see myself eating that way for life. So many here lift heavy, jog and eat close to 2000 calories AND lose weight. What's up with me?!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I've been in plateau mode since July 2013; that's way before I quit logging. If I can't be honest with myself I am of no use to myself. When I tell you I eat the same amounts of food please believe me. My list of foods is fairly limited. It's very easy to keep track.

It's easy for you to keep track, and yet you haven't for a month? It does us no good to look at food tracked in August and October since it says nothing about why you have stayed the same the last month. Please just start logging again.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options

I'll say it again... Consistency.

Or, if there's an answer you want to hear, PM it to me, I'll post it here, you can be happy you got the answer you wanted, and we can all go on with our days.

I'm open to suggestions. I have no ego involved in this. I'm an academically minded person who is willing to learn whatever it takes to shed this weight and keep it off.

I know if I go lower in cals, I will hit 1200 and that is NOT a magic number for me. Too few calories and it just messes up my brain and energy levels.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    It's easy for you to keep track, and yet you haven't for a month? It does us no good to look at food tracked in August and October since it says nothing about why you have stayed the same the last month. Please just start logging again.

I sure will. Maybe that will help me figure out my problem. I have a feeling I eat too little as opposed to too much.