Thoughts on the New FAA Guideline

Options
Saw where the FAA is setting a guideline that pilots must be below a 30 BMI or they are subject to additional medical scrutiny. At 19.8% body fat, I'm over a 30 BMI. Thoughts?

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I can see having some sort of fitness guideline for pilots but I really don't like BMI as the only measure (if that's the case). Just heard this week that starting in 2015 we will have BMI as a factor in our company healthcare plan.
  • tjmahoney
    tjmahoney Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You're a good example of how BMI doesn't take into account muscle mass. Age is already a ticker where pilots need to go under additional scrutiny for things like cardiac disease or cardiovascular issues in general like potential for a heart attach or stroke in flight, etc. Although, that's why there's two pilots in the cockpit. Guidelines like this cast a net over everyone who meet (or don't meet) the criteria but how else can they identify "potential" issues? They do annual physicals which most of the general population doesn't do. I have a medical background, specializing in cardiology and this reminds me of the guidelines for donating blood. If the nurse takes your vital signs before you donate and your HR is below 60, you're off the bus and can't donate. My resting HR is around 55-57 and I get refused every time since I don't meet the guidelines. The nurse always feels bad and apologies but he/she is just following guidelines to protect the one who is donating from passing out, etc due to blood loss. It's ironic, most of us who are into fitness and take care of ourselves are probably the most fit to donate but can't. I don't even try anymore.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Isnt there a copilot? Im much more concerned with your mental clarity than your overall health.

Then again, Denzel can fly a plane drunk while blowing lines of coke and still avoid the most inevitable crashes.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    The current proposal by the FAA is 40 BMI. 30 is a long-term goal.

I have no problem with screening people above a certain BMI, provided they do "additional medical scrutiny" as you say, like measuring bodyfat, doing a sleep study, etc.