Rapid Weight Loss - Dangers(?)

Options
Age 40 : For myself being inactive (rack monkey coder) shackled to my desk I seemed to have piled on the pounds and got to the point where doing simple tasks around the house would cause pain and become a mountain to climb.

[100+KG - 5'8"] On the 10th of October I said enough is enough... I need to build stamina - so my goal was to jump on the threadmill for 30 mins a day (and build the speed up gradually). The first day was hell I did a slow walk but hit the target 30 mins - I was sweating so much that it looked like I peed my pants. However this is only 5% on the story. DIET is where you win.... Cut out the sugars and seriously reduce your portion sizes....

[87Kg - Still 5'8" unfortunately] Just got off the threadmill - Feel Great... lots of energy, productive, winning 'but'

The problem is that I've lost a lot of weight in a very short period of time which must have serious health considerations to be aware of so I'm using the site to check my nutrition figures. Also another danger is that I'm finding the whole weight loss program rather addictive but I need advice on how to stop and level out my weight before pushing towards 80kg

Replies

• Jacson53
    Jacson53 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You are a lot smarter than this old coder. I waited til I was 60 to see the light (and it was getting pretty dim).

Diet is the key, as you said.
    And you started exercise slow... Good. Just build on it at a comfortable pace. Add variations ( light weight training worked well for me).
    I think the sweating must be normal/expected. Just stay hydrated during and after workout (water, not soda, lol)
    I monitor heart rate, blood pressure and blood sugar... So nice to see better numbers on each.
    You will want to get blood work done by your doctor periodically just to know any hazards.

Congrats on your progress and keep at it.

P.s. One last thing... Think about compression shirts and shorts. :)

P.p.s. I am not sure what you mean by level out your weight. If you mean "spot reduce", that is a myth and cannot be done.
    Just keep at your diet and exercise to tone/build deficit areas.
  • shafstar
    Options
    Very sound advice Sir, Thank you

I will definitely be making an appointment to see the Dr.

ps What I meant by levelling off is that I think it's time for a respite and level my weight by simply eating more.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    So you have lost about 15 kg (30 lb) in about 1.5 months? At 87 kg now, you are not too far from your goal.

MFP guidelines are a max of 1 kg (2 lb) per week. So in 6 weeks that'd be 6 kg. You've been doing over double that.

The first thing that comes to my mind is how much are you eating? You must be on a huge deficit. That means you are unlikely to be getting the micronutrients you need, and also not enough protein. Sufficient protein is important for maintaining lean body mass mass during calorie restriction. i.e. if you don't eat enough protein, you lose muscle mass (and maybe your hair too). The goal, however, is to lose fat, not muscle!

But what's done is done. I doubt you did any serious harm that can't be undone by eating again. So just move on now. Eat at a modest calorie deficit - aim for 0.5 lb per week loss. Eat enough protein, and maybe add strength training to your routine?
  • shafstar
    Options
    So you have lost about 15 kg (30 lb) in about 1.5 months? At 87 kg now, you are not too far from your goal.

MFP guidelines are a max of 1 kg (2 lb) per week. So in 6 weeks that'd be 6 kg. You've been doing over double that.

The first thing that comes to my mind is how much are you eating? You must be on a huge deficit. That means you are unlikely to be getting the micronutrients you need, and also not enough protein. Sufficient protein is important for maintaining lean body mass mass during calorie restriction. i.e. if you don't eat enough protein, you lose muscle mass (and maybe your hair too). The goal, however, is to lose fat, not muscle!

But what's done is done. I doubt you did any serious harm that can't be undone by eating again. So just move on now. Eat at a modest calorie deficit - aim for 0.5 lb per week loss. Eat enough protein, and maybe add strength training to your routine?

Hi Richard,

Yes you're right and I'm getting sick of it. On Sunday I tucked into fries, lamb, chicken shish grills and a little doner kebab too.... The euphoria was intense.

This is what I've eaten today.

[1] Breakfast - 1 shredded wheat with a little milk

[2] Main and only meal of the day - 200gms boiled rice with a few spoonfuls of each of these dishes
    - runner beans with a few prawns
    - 4/5 Fried aubergine slices
    - 1 small morsel of chicken and potato

[3] 1 x Apple

Actually today has been more extreme than usual .... I usually have a few more fruits than just a simple apple.
    Fortunately my diet is free from processed foods (bar the shredded wheat) .... but to be honest sod this..... I'm really hungry I'm off downstairs to eat
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    skin- my partner lost quickly and doesn't have any stretch marks- he has loose skin.
    calcium/ bone density
  • richardheath
    Options
    Yeah - you aren't eating enough. Eat more! Up your calories till you are where MFP tells you you are losing about 0.5 lb per week. You don't have far to go, so you don't need to be starving yourself.

Another danger is developing an eating disorder. You need to have a healthy relationship with food. It is energy for your workouts, not your enemy!
  • jonlefave
    jonlefave Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    +1 richardheath

Eat more, and lift more. Nearly EVERYONE should be doing resistance training (re: heavy weights) 3 times per week. Now that you've lost a substantial amount of weight, the last few pounds should be harder to go, unless there's an underlying health problem.

This is where a proper diet comes in. Eat more on workout days, eat less on rest days. The health benefits are too many to list here.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Age 40 : For myself being inactive (rack monkey coder) shackled to my desk I seemed to have piled on the pounds and got to the point where doing simple tasks around the house would cause pain and become a mountain to climb.

[100+KG - 5'8"] On the 10th of October I said enough is enough... I need to build stamina - so my goal was to jump on the threadmill for 30 mins a day (and build the speed up gradually). The first day was hell I did a slow walk but hit the target 30 mins - I was sweating so much that it looked like I peed my pants. However this is only 5% on the story. DIET is where you win.... Cut out the sugars and seriously reduce your portion sizes....

[87Kg - Still 5'8" unfortunately] Just got off the threadmill - Feel Great... lots of energy, productive, winning 'but'

The problem is that I've lost a lot of weight in a very short period of time which must have serious health considerations to be aware of so I'm using the site to check my nutrition figures. Also another danger is that I'm finding the whole weight loss program rather addictive but I need advice on how to stop and level out my weight before pushing towards 80kg

I agree with Richard. It sounds like the best way to even out the weight loss is to change your goal to "Maintain" or "lose .5lb a week"
    Honestly, I am 5'3" and down to 115lb. I've been eating 1500 calories a day before exercise.

Great job on your current loss.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    skin- my partner lost quickly and doesn't have any stretch marks- he has loose skin.

That's from weight gain, not weight loss. When skin is stretched, new skin cells can form, and they don't disappear without surgery.
  • shafstar
    Options
    Thank you all for the pointers. Yes I've got to the point where I cannot eat less and I've hit a plateau so it's time for resistance training.

I hit the gym tomorrow for weights only (might throw in cycling/rowing as the warm up) and will continue the cardio at home.

Thank you
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options

That's from weight gain, not weight loss. When skin is stretched, new skin cells can form, and they don't disappear without surgery.

Losing weight rapidly puts a person at a greater risk for loose skin.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

Losing weight rapidly puts a person at a greater risk for loose skin.

That myth has been repeated for a long time. I think it got started because it can take a year or two for loose skin to snap back after losing weight, so when someone loses slowly, the looseness is less noticeable.
  • richardheath
    Options
    Thank you all for the pointers. Yes I've got to the point where I cannot eat less and I've hit a plateau so it's time for resistance training.

I hit the gym tomorrow for weights only (might throw in cycling/rowing as the warm up) and will continue the cardio at home.

Thank you

And eat more. Don't forget to eat!
  • shafstar
    Options
    Now that you've lost a substantial amount of weight, the last few pounds should be harder to go, unless there's an underlying health problem.

^ THIS !

I've hit a plateau - pity my Gym membership starts at the end of the month :s

I've just got to continue what I'm doing and 'not' be tempted to bulk up