food scales...necessary or obsessive

Options

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm a crossover from Weight Watchers so I like the scale and I'm more accurate with it. I don't weigh fruit and veggies, but I do weigh protein. I got my scale on Ebay for $5.00 including shipping and it's compact and accurate enough for this type of weighing.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 60 pounds without one. The only thing I use it for now is when I buy meat in bulk. The scale helps me repackage it for meal planning.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I've gotten by without one, but I am considering getting one soon.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Not necessary until you get to a certain point.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I've lost 98 lb (53 on MFP) and haven't bought a food scale yet.

Honestly I think I am more frequently off on my estimations in the opposite way (smaller than a 1/2 cup of this, a little under 4 oz on that). Which isn't great, either, but meh...

I might consider buying one. I might not.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Lost the extra weight and now maintain without ever owning a scale. I don't think it's obsessive to use one, but I don't think it's necessary either.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Home use? Fine. I've got to admit, though, if I saw someone weighing out their food at a restaurant, I would think they crazy.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    both let's see how do I want to write this..mehh I'm not in a mood to be serious so I will do this in a happier manner.

Scales are like mirrors, it is a requirement to know where you stand but too much of it can be a bad thing. I have been up and down with scales for most of my existence. I honestly think they just have it out to get me^^ But there have been numerous occasions where I would check the scale 2 or 3 times a day during my journey just to reconfirm my confirmation of a confirmed weight gain lol. It was entirely obsessive almost as obsessive as my need to loose the weight. I feel as though you need to have some control of it or it will completely wreck you. Maybe once every two weeks just so you know your place but please don't overdo it. Weight loss is a steep journey in its own right, there is no need to self sabotage yourself while you're on the trip :)

Cheers,

Tof

errr the topic was about food scales T_T

errr.....the same rules apply lol

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • NyssaDuck
    Options
    I weigh (or measure for liquids) pretty much everything. The only foods I don't weigh are pre-packaged foods where I might eat the whole bag (crisps), are already in set-out portions (the label will usually have calories per portion) or I eat out/fast food. I honestly don't think I could do it without the food scales as before I just did whatever. Pasta and rice in particular... I was really overeating those things before I started weighing them. It is helping me get an idea of what a real portion is, so I'm hoping I'll eventually just know.

I don't think I'm obsessive about it at all, I would never take my scale to weigh food at a restaurant or a friends house. :tongue: Whether it is necessary though really depends on the individual.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I have a food scale but I don't weigh everything on it. If I make a recipe I might weigh out the majority of the individual ingredients and then guess a portion size (say 1/4 of what I made). I don't rely on the scale too much anymore. I've gotten better at estimating. I actually used to overestimate, if think I was eating 100g but it was really only 70g. It's kind of fun for me to guess how much something weighs ahead of time and see how close I am. Maybe I'm just a nerd :P.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'll go with sometimes necessary. I don't weigh every little thing. I'm not going to weigh my tablespoon of peanut butter or my hard boiled egg to make sure I get an absolutely accurate count. Life's too short.

I weigh my meat portions even though I'm good at eyeballing it now. I measure out rice or pasta but I don't care if the 1/2 cup I measure doesn't weigh exactly what it is supposed to.

I think weighing and measuring can be very helpful especially when you are starting out and don't really know what correct portion sizes are. Worrying that something is 35 grams when you thought it was 30 is a little obsessive.
  • Aust1967
    Aust1967 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I measure everything I make with my food scale... I have learned my idea of 3 oz is really 9 oz

Tru dat :bigsmile:
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Necessary.

I mostly use it for my meats and cheeses, but also for bulk nuts as well. Most other items I get away with using a measuring spoon/cup.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Weighing your food in your kitchen - smart

taking your food scale with you in your purse on a date - obsessive
  • tanashai
    tanashai Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I lost 50+ pounds, never touched a food scale. HOWEVER, I can definitely see it's use for many people. I didn't need it, but many others swear by it. I say, if you're considering it, get one (or borrow one) and give it a try for a few weeks and see if it helps. Nothing ventured, nothing lost, eh? :D
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I measure and weight everything and I go according to the suggested serving sizes. I have a lot to learn about not over eating (I mean I used to eat 7-10 perogies in a sitting when the serving size is 3). It gives me a good idea of where I should cut back or load up on, especially when it comes to high carb items, cheese, nuts, and meat. I used all my measuring cups and I have an inexpensive Starfrit food scale from Walmart (it was like $7).It does help when trying to add certain foods to MFP. I've become obsessed with it but I think it helps because it prevents me from eating out or at a friend's place since I don't know what they put in, how much, etc. If I can control what I eat I feel much better.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I personally don't have one...yet. I read all the time that it is nearly essential in getting an accurate calorie count. The food I eat, typically, is as follows: almond milk (cup measure); soup (I just eat the entire can); frozen plain vegetables (I eat the pre-packaged container); popcorn (100 calorie bag); tomatoes (I count them); sashimi and vegetable sushi rolls (restaurant items I can't weigh). Eggs (70 calories per egg).

I guess if I purchased a scale, how would i use it? do you weigh the items listed above? I also fear I would seem too food obsessed by my pizza, cheese loving husband. on the other hand, i want accuracy. does anyone get any grief from family about their food scale?

Look at those food labels, the weight per serving, and the weight actually in the package, and how many servings there really are.
    "about 2" can be from 1.67 to 2.6 I've seen personally. And despite being 2 servings, I'm eating the whole thing.

Even soup, unless the label says the whole can is a serving, is usually 2.2 or more servings in the can. That can add up.
    Your package of vegetables, same thing.

You can correct a lot without a scale.

But, they also usually pack a tad more weight in the package, combine the 2 inaccuracies together, getting bad now.

Fruit can vary so much in size, and being loaded with sugar and calories can make a big difference.

You spend 2 weeks at least measuring everything you eat, seeing how incorrect you were, and learn what items you can trust and what you can't.
    Then you might be able to back off a decent amount.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    For me a food scale is not necessary at all. I have lost 126lbs and continue to lose .5 a pound to a pound a week. I have never owned a food scale.
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I love my food scale. But I would consider it obsessive if I took it to restaurants with me....:)

THIS
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would also add, as someone who has had some culinary schooling, I used a food scale long before I ever joined MFP or attempted to lose weight. IMHO, it is a basic tool that should be in any kitchen...not having one is kinda like not having some of the more basic tools in your tool box in the garage.