Sodium - my new enemy

Options
Hello, guys! Since using MFP I've realised how much sodium I eat and I guess that's a very bad thing. For example, today I've crossed the limit with almost 1500 mg and I really don't know where they've come from! What foods contain less sodium and what foods should I try to avoid? Have you ever had such kind of problem?

Replies

• tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I assume you mean 1500 mg.

Anyway, I don't consider sodium extraordinarily bad. I don't add salt to anything, but it's not something I'm overly concerned with. It will lead to a temporary weight gain if you had a day full of it... but I've found that the weight "gain" from sodium comes off pretty quick on after one or two "normal" sodium days.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you are concerned about sodium?
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    1500 is a decent number. I'm sodium restricted due to high blood pressure, and mine is set at 1600.

Avoid a lot of packaged products and fast foods, many are loaded with sodium.

But really, if you're not needing to restrict it for medical reasons, 1500 is low. You need some sodium to keep living!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Sodium is particularly bad if you have a medical issue. Diabetes, hypertension, renal failure.... And so on. The only foods that do not have sodium or much is fresh... Restaurant foods are the worst, followed by any processed foods.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Sodium isn't the enemy unless you have medical issues.

If you are looking to lower your intake, however, avoid processed foods. Most processed foods are super high in sodium; just check out the labels. If you stick to mostly cooking your own foods instead of using prepared meals you should be able to greatly decrease your sodium intake.
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I stay around or under the MFP suggested 2500MG a day. Sometimes i go over, and i just up my water intake that day and the next. Best to avoid high sodium days 1-2 days before you do a weigh in , as sometimes you can retain ya know?. I wasn't paying attention to it for a long time, until recently when a MFP friend suggested i try to watch it (lots of it in pre-packaged and processed foods) Now that im watching it. i do feel a little better and not feeling as"bloated"? .
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Sodium is actually important to our bodies especially when we are athletic or sweat.
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Im dealing with the sodium issues also trying to get in in check so can get off of meds one thing I did was leave the frozen foods alone mainly already made meals and started tracking and looking at the sodium amt on the seasonings that I was using
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Sodium shouldn't be an "enemy" as these other posters are right, you need it to live! But I can understand why OP would want to minimize her intake. I found that higher-sodium items make me bloaty. Try to cut back on snack foods like chips and pop, and go for fresh foods. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Processed foods have a lot of sodium in. Food in restaurants do, too.

Trying cooking stuff from scratch, using fresh ingredients, as opposed to pre-packed processed stuff.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Sodium is particularly bad if you have a medical issue. Diabetes, hypertension, renal failure.... And so on.

Not necessarily. Really, only 1/3 of the population is salt sensitive in regard to blood pressure. Salt doesn't have much impact on Diabetes unless you also have kidney disease, and then you have to watch out for all sorts of stuff.
  • Sarahndipity30
    Options
    Im dealing with the sodium issues also trying to get in in check so can get off of meds one thing I did was leave the frozen foods alone mainly already made meals and started tracking and looking at the sodium amt on the seasonings that I was using

try Mrs. Dash seasonings. They have low-sodium and No Sodium options :)
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I don't even track sodium. do you have hypertension or any other conditions that require you to keep your consumption low? sodium is actually an electrolyte and it is important to make sure your intake is at an adequate level. if you do not consume enough you may develop a sodium deficiency.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Hello, guys! Since using MFP I've realised how much sodium I eat and I guess that's a very bad thing. For example, today I've crossed the limit with almost 1500 g and I really don't know where they've come from! What foods contain less sodium and what foods should I try to avoid? Have you ever had such kind of problem?

If you must worry about salt, then make it the last thing on your priority list. It's far more important to get your calories, macro's, fiber, and exercise right.
  • Those packaged meals that claim to be healthy, or those dehydrated soups all have a TON of sodium! I try to avoid those as much as possible. Other than that, try trading a high sodium snack for some berries or raw unsalted almonds. Always the better way to go! And I know some drinks have high sodium, but I only drink tea, water, and the occasional milk or fruit juice- So I don't know any specifics.
  • Sarahndipity30
    Options
    I don't even track sodium. do you have hypertension or any other conditions that require you to keep your consumption low? sodium is actually an electrolyte and it is important to make sure your intake is at the correct level. if you do not consume enough you may develop a sodium deficiency.

too much sodium is also a bad thing.
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have to be extremely careful of sodium because I'm in end stage renal failure. Mostly, I try to eat fresh foods and don't add extra salt. However, not everyone has to be as careful as me.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    If you track sodium in your diary, you'll be able to see where most of it is coming from.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I don't even track sodium. do you have hypertension or any other conditions that require you to keep your consumption low? sodium is actually an electrolyte and it is important to make sure your intake is at the correct level. if you do not consume enough you may develop a sodium deficiency.

too much sodium is also a bad thing.

Not necessarily. "bad" is relative. so is "too much".
  • louisetteN
    Options
    Yep, I meant mg, not g, sorry :-) Thanks for your replay!