Healthy Cupcakes...if there is such a thing

Options
My favorite sweet indulgence, diet pop cupcakes, best part? TWO ingredients to make them. Take a box of cake mix and combine in a bowl with one can of diet pop. Fill cupcake liners, bake as directed. These will not rise as much as a traditional cupcake but are so soft and moist, I usually don't frost them as they are delicious the way they are but have used Fat Free/Light Cool Whip and it is heavenly! Below are a few variations I have tried...the possibilities are endless...Enjoy!

Cherry Chip Cake Mix/A&W diet Cream Soda
Spice Cake/Diet Root Beer (my FAVORITE)
Chocolate Cake/Diet Dr. Pepper
Yellow Cake/Diet Sunkist
Funfetti/Diet 7-Up

Replies

• SusieCuteYay
    SusieCuteYay Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Whao! That is so cool!!!! Thank You!
  • mariar1981
    Options
    Question on this. do you have to add anything else other than the soda and cake mix ? im so gonna make these... never mind i had to re- read it
  • karijoeide
    Options
    You use nothing other than 1 can of diet soda and a box of cake mix...no oil, no eggs, no water....just the mix & diet pop :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    hmmmm
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I just can't see it.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Ew, no! I HATE the aftertaste that diet drinks leave.

I'd rather just indulge in a regular delicious cupcake instead of ruin cupcakes forever. *shudder*
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Silver,
    You can't taste the soda in them after they bake. Which is great but they are not as fluffy as regular cupcakes. I sometimes add unsweetened apple sauce.

Now I want cupcakes -_-
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    other wonderful recipes found on mfp

orange creamsicle cake

french vanilla cake mix
    diet sprite
    cook in a lasagna pan

mix a no fat vanilla pudding according to directions, mix sugar free orange jello dry mix into that.
    take that mixture and mix with container of thawed cool whip, top cake, refrigerate till set

Or

angel food caked mixed with a can of pineapple tidbits, cook in a lasagna pan
    top with fat free vanilla pudding, then cool whip
    top with fruit

As the OP said, these cakes are great on their own, no topping needed, a favorite at my house is spiced carrot cake with diet pepsi
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    in for the frosting
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Urgh, I couldn't think of anything worse.

How about;

Sugar
    Butter
    Self Raising Flour
    Eggs

that's how we eat cake in England
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I love soda cakes!! I am a social worker and the kids on my case load are between 17-21. We teach them independent living skills and I try to make them cookbooks every few months. I added this recipe in the book and a lady from accounting called me and said, " you really need to proof read those before you give those to the kids, you left out many ingredients for that cake recipe." I told her to go home and make it as the recipe stated then come to work tomorrow and we would have this discussion. She did and she STILL to this day will only make soda cakes :)
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    To each his/her own.......

I am in for trying it.

I have also seen the spice cake box with a can of pumpkin. That one sounds good too.

boy i need to go to the store, been craving cake for a week now!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    To each his/her own.......

I am in for trying it.

I have also seen the spice cake box with a can of pumpkin. That one sounds good too.

boy i need to go to the store, been craving cake for a week now!

That one is uber awesome! I did cream cheese frosting with it.

I love these soda pop cakes because they are quick and easy. They're great for when time is short.
  • brit__2006
    brit__2006 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • cmkile1003
    cmkile1003 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cooky_monster
    cooky_monster Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Urgh, I couldn't think of anything worse.

How about;

Sugar
    Butter
    Self Raising Flour
    Eggs

that's how we eat cake in England

Damn right it is!
    I would much rather save some calories back for a real piece of yummy cake with frosting rather than eat that chemical sh*tstorm that some would call "cake". Sorry guys, no offense if you like this kind of thing, but its not for me :smile:
  • latewinterwolf
    Options
    Uergh im sorry but that just sounds like the vilest thing ever lol.
    make normal cakes with butter, eggs sugar and flour. lol

I agree cookie
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I rather have my "healthier" version of cupcakes.
    To any cake recipe,
    - I add in 1.5-2cups of grated zucchini
    - instead of using sour cream, I replace it with Greek yogurt (lots of protein)
    - instead of all the oil or butter, I replace half with applesauce.

(If it's chocolate cake, I add in ~3 Tbs cocoa powder for extra chocolate flavor.
    And chocolate chips :)

I made 48 of them for my DD's Brownie troops and they gobbled them up!

(Yes, I did make/stuffed it/frost it w/ buttercream frosting.)
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    3-2-1 mug cake- no soda/pop: 1 box any kind of cake mix + 1 box angel food cake mix. Mix both dry mixes into a large container or zip lock bag to store. When ready to make your mug cake: measure into a microwave-proof mug: 3 tablespoons of cake mixes, 2 tablespoons of water. Stir thoroughly. Microwave 1 minute on high. About 107 calories. Can top with fruit preserves, chocolate chips, etc., but you would have to add in those calories as well.
  • bobkat80
    bobkat80 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I just made a dark chocolate cake mix with diet orange soda and it was great, especially with cool whip. I also like white cake mix with diet cherry 7-up too, especially with pineapple chunks added in.

I may just have to try the mug cake though. I don't like to have a whole cake lying around saying EAT ME!