How hard do you push yourself?

Options
I find that at times I push myself so hard that I vomit. I take a mini break and get right back in there and finish my workout. Just wondering if anyone else does the same thing. Do you ever push yourself to that point? Do you stop if you get sick??

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I stop and take a break if I get to the point of tossing my cookies, but the only time I've come close to that is during sprint intervals which I don't do very often.
  • Krista916
    Options
    Me. I almost always want to or do vomit on leg day. It doesn't usually stop me. Barf and keep going.
  • andrewj87
    Options
    Never got to the point of vomiting but whenever I get light headed I just take the intensity down a bit or stop for a few seconds to recover then get right back into the workout.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I have EIA (exercise induced asthma) so I would stop breathing and pass out before vomiting. I have gotten dizzy and had to slow down to catch my breath.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    If you're vomiting on the reg, you are doing something wrong.

I'll get dizzy if I try to do too much, but shut it down before I lose it.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Me. I almost always want to or do vomit on leg day. It doesn't usually stop me. Barf and keep going.

Marry Me :smile: :flowerforyou: :glasses: :heart: :glasses:
  • Safiyandi
    Options
    Uh, could you be getting hypoglycemic? If I'm puking on a workout that's going to be INTERFERING with my ability to push myself hard.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I don't push myself that hard when exercising because I get turned off by exercise very easily--if I puke doing something, I'm not going to do it ever again, so I mainly walk at a moderate pace with a good incline and/or swim. I push myself the hardest with my dietary goals.

Pushing myself through a workout is mostly mental for me. I have to fight my inner dialogue that's telling me to give up and go home.
  • Run4Me2Day
    Run4Me2Day Posts: 344 Member
    Options

I don't on a regular basis....once in a blue moon!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Vomiting = doing it wrong.

I realize that people end up on this site because they don't know how to do anything between "all" and "nothing" but perhaps you should start working on that as part of your journey to a better lifestyle.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    not to vomit, but I have to do 2 to 3 hours cardio a day 7 days a week!
    or I feel crappy!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Never got to the point of vomiting but whenever I get light headed I just take the intensity down a bit or stop for a few seconds to recover then get right back into the workout.

I agree, I have to slow down when I get light headed. I don't want to pass out in the middle of the gym. I have only come close to vomiting once, that was in a class. I do probably work out more often than I should, my trainer has to schedule my days off, or I might not take one.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    No.

I feel like vomiting is your body's natural way of saying "Hey, stop that!"

I think anyone who pushes themselves to the point of vomiting needs to reevaluate the cause. Are you eating enough pre-workout? Maybe eating *too* much? Are you hydrated? Are you eating enough calories in general? Ditto protein, carbs, etc.

I really don't think you should be vomiting mid-workout on the regular.
  • jerrygon10
    jerrygon10 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    NEVER push myself that hard, it would be counter-productive for me. It has to be something you enjoy doing for the rest of your life in order for you to keep it up. For me it was walking, which is so under rated and discounted by so many people. Yet it helped me reach my goal very quickly once I learned to balance my diet with 3-4x week 45min plus walks.
  • D8vidFitness
    Options
    With me, I don't realize I'm past 80% intensity until after the workout,

then I sit for a couple of minutes...feeling sick, then pukes..

This only happens however when I take a very long hiatus and decide to go back into my regular routine, once I start back up, it becomes easier because of the adaptation and muscle memory.

but yea, puking and feeling nausea means your body is overheating.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Back when I was a serious runner, I did that ONCE. And it was during a race, so it was understandable. During windsprints I would push myself as hard as I could, but never once got to the vomiting point (almost falling down, but not vomiting). LOL

I don't think once in a blue moon is a problem. But if you are doing it all the time, you are either pushing way to hard or possibly have acid reflux.

ETA: The ability to push yourself that hard is actually a positive for serious athletes. But they also need to know when to reign it in. I could beat lots of people during a race, because I could take that much more pain than they could. But I always followed the principal of 'Train smarter, not harder' and always used a HRM, so I would know if I was in danger of 'red lining it' = eventual vomiting and total collapse.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in pushing yourself to vomiting...that's just asinine and completely unnecessary to have a solid and productive workout. Maybe if I was going to be trying out for the Olympics or something...but just me being Joe Schmoe and rockin' his fitness...pushing to that extreme is, well...extreme...and completely unnecessary.

I like to workout and train in a way that I will be able to workout and train the rest of my life...I don't think vomiting after my workout is going to be something I would want to do forever.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

^^^ this
  • KristinNicole82
    KristinNicole82 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have only gotten sick once during a workout and mostly because it was a million degrees and I was overheating. When I weight train, once every other week I go until muscle failure (drop sets). Where I physically can't do anymore, where every fiber in that muscle group is screaming.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I only ever vomited once during a workout, because it was after a very long break, and I stubbornly used the same intensity/weights that I used to do. It was dumb of me.
    I push myself hard most days,but not to the point of throwing up.