"Regular Women" in Lingerie....Opinions?

Options

Replies

• RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Snort :laugh:

I'm so inspired to be regular now, so glad they reminded me of that, anybody have a cupcake or three?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    So I guess that makes me an 'irregular' woman? Should I be marked as 50% off, or what?

25 points from Ravenclaw for irregularity.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Oh. I thought this would be 'average' sized women (You know, size 6-8-10-12? The often over looked 'inbetween' sizes? Because you're either teeny tiny or large, but that middle ground can't get so much as an acknowledgement let alone a lingerie campaign) but it's actually women on the larger size. I see.

Average sized chicks, forgotten again. /kicks rocks

We're freaks! What's wrong with us for exercising and eating reasonable amounts of food? How did we let it get this bad?!

That's why my goal is a size 2 or 4! Then I can be real and important and stuff! No longer will I be a woman rendered invisible because I'm actually average!

I'm a size 4 and I'm still pretty dang average.
  • heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    fitness-motivation.jpg
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    fitness-motivation.jpg

:laugh:
  • Achrya
    Options
    Oh. I thought this would be 'average' sized women (You know, size 6-8-10-12? The often over looked 'inbetween' sizes? Because you're either teeny tiny or large, but that middle ground can't get so much as an acknowledgement let alone a lingerie campaign) but it's actually women on the larger size. I see.

We're freaks! What's wrong with us for exercising and eating reasonable amounts of food? How did we let it get this bad?!

That's why my goal is a size 2 or 4! Then I can be real and important and stuff! No longer will I be a woman rendered invisible because I'm actually average!

A 2 then!

....*ahem*

I'm actually pretty content with a 6. Which I guess means I've been complacent with my irregularity? Oh no!
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    This is horrible. Women are either photoshopped to look anorexic (and even models that are already super thin YES...I work in fashion and I have seen it first hand!) or we are now perpetuating the idea that obesity is "normal"? What is wrong with our society? It makes me sick. Either extreme is very unhealthy. Why can't we promote real women in all of our pear, apple, mix-matched shaped bodies that we have? THAT would be real and healthy, not ads like these that are obviously a joke.

FYI not only are photographs photoshopped but also videos and film! YES all those actresses and actors are not as perfect as they seem on camera or on film. When I learned this, I was shocked because I thought at least with film that it was capturing something real. Nope. Wrong , once again.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Glorifying obesity and alienating women with smaller body types. Really inspirational. Thanks Huff Post!

^ Thats what these campaigns seem to do, which I dont think is cool at all. Its fine if they want to wear that, and some guys like it, good for them. But why does ANY body type have to be promoted, especially unhealthy ones in the other body extreme from models? The ones they showed are obviously obese too, not just overweight, only women who have very high fat levels. How is that "equalizing"? They only get to claim they think this should be the new "sexy" if they think "average looking" obese guys in speedos are also "the new sexy".
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

A 2 then!

....*ahem*

I'm actually pretty content with a 6. Which I guess means I've been complacent with my irregularity? Oh no!

I just can't help wondering if you woke up with all your muffins this morning. :laugh:
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    My main opinion is that I'd like to see regular people at healthier weights in lingerie, too. The people in lingerie magazines these days are photo-shopped to look at the very low end of being at a healthy weight, or even underweight.
    That'd be a start.

Even if they just stopped photoshopping the size 00-4 models they already have, that would be a great start.

I checked out the article and the link to Curvy Girl, and to be fair it is a plus-sized lingerie retailer and they've asked only women size 14 and over to post pictures of themselves in sexy clothes or lingerie. That precludes any smaller gals from posting so the body sizes aren't going to run the gamut.

And I think the use of the word "regular" is just to underscore that these women aren't the professional models, athletes and actresses that grace about 99% of magazine covers and ads.- they're just people with regular lives.
  • AlyssasDiet
    Options
    My 2cents. Obese women (like myself) have to go through endless messages of not being "regular" every day. Go to your local mall, how many stores actually hold clothes bigger than a large? No really, go check! It's not many at all. So if people REALLY think that this one article (which is from a plus size clothing store btw) is going to suddenly change the stereotype and make skinny people feel ostracized in the same way that fat people feel every day, you're dead wrong. Also, I'm tired of hearing the term "glorifying obesity" when we literally worship fashion models in this country (and all over the world) even though it's estimated that up to 40% of them have an eating disorder. What's the difference? People find skinny people to be attractive, and fat people to be unattractive, because that's what the culture has trained you to see. No, you don't care about the "obesity epidemic", no you aren't actually worried about these women's health, no you don't have good intentions for saying that fat people shouldn't be in the media because it "glorifies obesity"..you just don't want to see it because you think it's ugly (even if you don't realize it).

That all being said. The average woman in America is a size 14, so our models should be around that size. The models in fashion now are not close to a size 14 and the women in this article are not close to a size 14. If you want to show "regular women" in lingerie show women from about a 12 to a 16 size.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I think it was focusing on what is left out. Bigger bodies aren't shown much while fit and thin is what is "ideal". Like a campaign showing same sex couples but leaves out straight because the point is to show the under privileged party. I think the name 'regular women" is misleading

Yeah, I understand the purpose, but they need a new title. And show a variety of women, not just bigger bodies.

If you read the article or watched the video, you will see that the mission was:

"Inspired by a customer, I wanted to show that women with rolls, bumps, lumps, scars, stretch marks, surgery scars and natural breasts that have nursed babies can be stunning and beautiful."

I don't see any fit/thin shaming there.

What is not 'regular' is a size 4 being considered "plus size".
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is , they are selling a product in these lingerie ads. The theory is that they want the models skinny so that the attention is put on the fashion that they are selling. It's messed up but that's the reasoning behind it for ads and for fashion shows or magazines. Honestly, I don't care if there are any ads with average women's bodies wearing lingerie...A real man knows that those models depicted in magazines are not real. They'll appreciate you ever more with your natural curves. Not all men like "skinny". Women have to learn to love themselves...No ad is going to do that.
  • Achrya
    Options

A 2 then!

....*ahem*

I just can't help wondering if you woke up with all your muffins this morning. :laugh:

Ah, I made brownies last night. He never eats those.
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think it was focusing on what is left out. Bigger bodies aren't shown much while fit and thin is what is "ideal". Like a campaign showing same sex couples but leaves out straight because the point is to show the under privileged party. I think the name 'regular women" is misleading

Yeah, I understand the purpose, but they need a new title. And show a variety of women, not just bigger bodies.

If you read the article or watched the video, you will see that the mission was:

"Inspired by a customer, I wanted to show that women with rolls, bumps, lumps, scars, stretch marks, surgery scars and natural breasts that have nursed babies can be stunning and beautiful."

I don't see any fit/thin shaming there.

What is not 'regular' is a size 4 being considered "plus size".

Yes, but you don't have to be that obese to have, "...rolls, bumps, lumps, scars, stretch marks, surgery scars and natural breasts that have nursed babies...", with the exception of rolls, women of all sizes can have all the above. Regular women (whatever the heck that means ???) come in every size and shape.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    3100210babfe12d7ffd1b4c3cd3d1e60.jpg
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AlyssasDiet
    Options

Why is there an assumption that allowing fat people to feel good about there bodies will discourage them from losing weight? I didn't start taking control of my weight because I felt like crap, it was the opposite, I had to start feeling good about myself, to start feeling worth something, before I could start losing weight. I hear a lot of stories of people who felt the same way. So why are we so afraid of letting people love themselves? It will only help.
  • mabbzie
    mabbzie Posts: 161 Member
    Options

Why is there an assumption that allowing fat people to feel good about there bodies will discourage them from losing weight? I didn't start taking control of my weight because I felt like crap, it was the opposite, I had to start feeling good about myself, to start feeling worth something, before I could start losing weight. I hear a lot of stories of people who felt the same way. So why are we so afraid of letting people love themselves? It will only help.

Smoking made me feel good. Smoking made me feel cool. I don't see anything glorifying smokers out there.
    Not trying to "steamroll" your opinion, I think it's a very good point, just offering an argument.