Freezing bananas?

Options
My dad bought a huge batch of bananas for a family dinner, and we have like more than 2 lbs left.

They're ripe and yellow with very few dark spots.

Is it possible to freeze them for later? I intend on just eating them as whole, no smoothies or breads.

Should I freeze them peeled or unpeeled? Thanks!

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure as to how they taste thawed without being blended, etc but peel them BEFORE freezing! I ended up throwing away my first banana I froze because I left it in the peeling and when it thaws it's mushy and gross. I'm sure if you peel it, freeze it, then let it get not completely unfrozen it might taste pretty good :P
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Freeze them unpeeled. Throw them in smoothies, make "ice cream" ... That's basically all I do with my frozen bananas. Otherwise, you can freeze some of them and bake with the rest: protein pancakes, cookies, breads, muffins, etc
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I freeze bananas in the peel for making banana bread then I just take them out to thaw when I need them. Works great.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Yes it's possible. Peel them before freezing them. I stash mine in a Tupperware container or zip lock bags and then use them for smoothies.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    In for freezing them peeled. Trying to peel a frozen banana after the fact is not fun.
  • Levesque_7
    Options
    Like someone else mentioned, definitely peel them first. i froze a few and they ended up in the trash because they looked weird and i couldnt peel them
  • tiddles_yeah
    tiddles_yeah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I know from experience if you freeze a cut up banana and then let it thaw just a tiddle bit it becomes the consistency of ICE CREAM!!!!!

HEALTHY BANANA ICE CREAM!!!!

so delicious!!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Freeze them unpeeled. Than toss them in the blender when you make your protein shakes! YUM!
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I freeze mine after I peel them and then I make banana peanut butter ice cream with chocolate chips mixed in mmmmmmm
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    TEXTURE ..... eating thawed bananas by themselves will be kind of gross. A better idea it to cut then into slices & place in ziplock baggies. Eating frozen banana (chips) is yummy. Frozen grapes are good too.

You can freeze bananas without peeling if you intend to use them in baking. I freeze whole bananas all the time to make banana bread. Just thaw & split the skin. The banana "slides" right out.
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    you can freeze them unpeeled or peeled but you are not going to be able to eat them whole. when they thaw they turn to mush which is why it's is recommented to use in smoothies, ice cream or breads. sorry.
  • hikezilla
    hikezilla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    We peel them, mash them, and then freeze them in ziplock bags. They go in fruit smoothies (which I find disgusting), they are used instead of oil in cake mixes, cookie recipes, banana nut bread....

If we have time I peel them slice them and put them in the dehydrator....sprinkle with some cinnamon, or shake in a bag of sugar free hot chocolate mix and then dry them.

Wifey puts the dried ones in oatmeal cookies...and OMG they are good.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    They get really mushy if you try to thaw them after freezing, and taste really weird. I would recommend freezing them and then using them in something like a smoothie or bake banana bread with them after you thaw them.
  • DonaGail
    DonaGail Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I sice them into little discs and freeze on a baking pan, once theyre frozen solid I dump them into a ziplock bag. I do this with grapes too..grapes are super yummy frozen!
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Definitely freeze peeled. I'd eat it still partially frozen because it changes consistency as it thaws. I love making "shakes" with frozen bananas and a little chocolate
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Peel them, wrap individually and eat them frozen. They are delicious. Taste like candy! That's why they make frozen chocolate covered bananas on a stick.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I've never had luck freezing bananas for more than a few days. They get mushy and weird and I end up making smoothies or something. They're pretty good frozen if you eat them within a few days, they have a similar texture to an ice cream popsicle. I often freeze my bananas once they've been forgotten about and turned brown and wait until I feel like making banana bread. It doesn't matter how mushy they get then.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    We have a bunch of baggies of peeled bananas cut into 1-inch sections in our freezer right now. They are the best way to make smoothies without having the melting ice diluting it.

I totally did not know you could use previously frozen bananas for banana bread--and I take it you could also use them for many recipies that call for bananas (e.g, a banana chocolate protein pancake)? Awesome!:flowerforyou:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've never had luck freezing bananas for more than a few days. They get mushy and weird and I end up making smoothies or something. They're pretty good frozen if you eat them within a few days, they have a similar texture to an ice cream popsicle. I often freeze my bananas once they've been forgotten about and turned brown and wait until I feel like making banana bread. It doesn't matter how mushy they get then.

Freeze bananas WITH THE PEEL ......they will last longer in the freezer. I toss whole bananas ....usually 1 at a time in a ziplock freezer bag...when I have enough bananas....I'll bake something.

The downside is that you have to thaw them before using. Anything baked (banana bread) ......you would thaw them first anyway. You split the peel with a knife....and the thawed banana kind of slides out.

......I've never tried eating a banana after freezing for just a few days though..... interesting.