Freezing bananas?

Options
2»

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I've never had luck freezing bananas for more than a few days. They get mushy and weird and I end up making smoothies or something. They're pretty good frozen if you eat them within a few days, they have a similar texture to an ice cream popsicle. I often freeze my bananas once they've been forgotten about and turned brown and wait until I feel like making banana bread. It doesn't matter how mushy they get then.

Freeze bananas WITH THE PEEL ......they will last longer in the freezer. I toss whole bananas ....usually 1 at a time in a ziplock freezer bag...when I have enough bananas....I'll bake something.

The downside is that you have to thaw them before using. Anything baked (banana bread) ......you would thaw them first anyway. You split the peel with a knife....and the thawed banana kind of slides out.

I run mine under hot tap water for about 5 mins...voila, thawed banana! Great for baking in a hurry.
  • windyrobotham
    windyrobotham Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just put them in your refrigerator. The peel will turn brown but the ripening process will drastically slow and you can still peel and eat.
  • Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Options
    Peel and cut them, then put in zip-loc bags. Don't freeze them with the peel.
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I like to freeze them in halves too. For a smoothie, that tends to be enough of a banana... and if I ever need a whole, that's still more versatile by grabbing to halves rather than thawing and cutting the whole.