Cheat Days?

Options
2»

Replies

• slgthatsme
    Options
    A cheat DAY is not such a good idea. You can easily go over your TDEE by thousands (plural) of calories. However I do have a cheat meal 1-2 times a week.

Yes. The title was a bit misleading. As I said I was thinking more of a cheat meal or a treat vs a whole day.
  • slgthatsme
    Options
    oh hello old cheat day thread friend, I see you are back for the millionth time....oh what, you dont know about the search feature?

in...for the cheating, and then the guilt...

Funny, I think I have seen you post a couple of sarcastic comments like this one on other threads. The search didn't bring up what I wanted specifically (I didn't search the entire list though).

Really though, if you have an issue with threads such as this, feel free to skip right on over them and meander off somewhere more interesting :)
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    Options
    No, I don't do cheat meals. There IS a reason though. I have a very hard time reining myself back in. When I was heavy I had many out of control meals. Going back to uncontrolled eating is just a step back in time to the me I don't wanna be! Sure I eat junk food and fatty meals, but I count every calorie.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have a 2000kcal net cheat day on the 11th of every month.+ special occasions.
  • slgthatsme
    Options
    No, I don't do cheat meals. There IS a reason though. I have a very hard time reining myself back in. When I was heavy I had many out of control meals. Going back to uncontrolled eating is just a step back in time to the me I don't wanna be! Sure I eat junk food and fatty meals, but I count every calorie.

My issue was the opposite. I wasn't eating enough and when I did it wasn't the right things.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yes once a week
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    1 meal once a week.. never w/in 3 days of each other so I can get the sodium bloat away.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i think allowing yourself something every now and then that is an indulgence is fine. there's nothing wrong with having tasty desserts or pizza or loaded pasta dishes, idt that really interferes with weight loss if you are honest and thorough with logging the rest of the time. as long as you fit your macros for the week then i thnk it's okay
  • Jacson53
    Jacson53 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Im no longer in weight loss mode but i always gave myself 1-2 splurge meals. I dont call them cheat meals because there not really a cheat. If you are daily in a deficit you are just using some of those calories at a later time in the week.

Agreed.
    Weekends I have strayed occasionally, but the surplus is balanced in a day or two.
  • Failing2Thrive
    Options
    I don't have cheat days or meals. If I want pie, pizza or anything else, I have it as long as it fits in my calorie goals. Good luck. :smile:
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Im no longer in weight loss mode but i always gave myself 1-2 splurge meals. I dont call them cheat meals because there not really a cheat. If you are daily in a deficit you are just using some of those calories at a later time in the week.

Thank you.
  • slgthatsme
    Options
    Thank you :) I try to avoid it because I am on a 1200 calorie diet and can't work out very much so doing it once a week or so might be better for me.
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I have one "free day" a week, usually Sunday. I don't call it a cheat day because I'm not doing anything wrong. It has never slowed my weight loss, either. For me, it's been absolutely crucial, for a few reasons. First of all, if I'm craving something, I know it's no more than six days away. It's really hard to justify messing up your eating when you know you can have what you want in a few days. So I just wait. Secondly, I think of it as "training" for when I'm no longer actively trying to lose. I would like to not count calories my whole life if I don't have to. Sunday is practice for "eating without logging, but not going crazy with food". Finally, I feel like it actually helps with my weight loss. It lets my body know that calories aren't always going to be restricted, so it doesn't need to hold onto the fat.

I eat whatever I want on Sunday, but I don't gorge. I usually eat out for both breakfast and dinner that day - last sunday breakfast was eggs benedict cajun style - with crabcakes under the eggs, home fries, and spicy hollandaise sauce. It was SO. GOOD. I also had a venti pumpkin spice latte. That filled me up quite a bit, and I wasnt hungry til dinnertime. For dinner I had a chipotle chicken burrito bowl with quacamole. Dessert was a few Lindt chocolates. Probably at least 3000 calories if not more altogether. Personally I think it's healthy to have an "eat a lot" day, but I feel like you have to do it the right way. If I started just eating all day because it was "free day", I'd know I needed to stop and fix that. I can't say it enough - it's not a "binge" day. Just a day where your normal meals can be something super delicious :)