What is your actual TDEE?

Options

Replies

• GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    100% completely missed the point.

Um.....maybe not, maybe you didn't read 100% of my post:
    For weight control, you have to know how much food you put in, so you don't eat more than you burn (i.e. diary calories consumed minus TDEE = budget deficit or surplus).

When a real person eats real food in real life, guess what, they DO need to measure it in order to know how much they're eating.

When real food in real life has a calorie number associated with it, that number is an approximation that can be off by 10-20%.

I have to assume that you understand the concept of calibrating an instrument or process. Apply it here, instead of just assuming every other part of the process is magically perfect.

Yes I do. I'm reminded of having to learn how to calibrate a Metler scale in organic chemistry class. Gasoline and food fall into the category of organic chemistry. Studied cellular physiology and biochemistry also.

But..I'll admit I was wrong about CO2 in the "respiration method". Oxygen consumed, as stated by other posters, is more direct a measurement of food burned than CO2 produced.

I can admit when I am wrong.

Can you?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If you are not loosing on what seems to be a "low" calorie level could be you aren't accurately logging and/or your are retaining water or glycogen that is "masking" the weight loss.

http://impruvism.com/slow-fat-loss/
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I get over 3,000 TDEE most days.. ... wayyy more then any calculator ever told me..

2800 is a low day for me apparently.

Your method only works if you are actually losing weight.. I'm losing inches not weight.. there is no way i'm eating 3000 calories per day.. i weigh and log everything.

You think you burn over 3000 calories a day.... but you're eating way less than 3000 calories a day..... and you're not losing weight?

I've got some news for you..

I measure and log everything. Good, Bad or in between. I leave out nothing. So unless the calories are way off in the database (which since everyone uses the database I doubt that) It should be fairly accurate. My body bugg might over estimate a little, but I cant' imagine it's over estimating that much. I don't think I burn that much, it's what it tells me. But I am super active. Even if it's off by a few hundred I'm still way under what it says I should be eating. I did gain some weight back a few weeks ago, but it's gone now. I've also changed my workout routine and increased what I was eating, so that might have messed with things?

Where did you get the 3000/2700 from?

If you're not losing weight, you are eating at maintenance. Whatever you are eating now is your TDEE.

from my body bugg. That is only off my body for 15/20 minutes a day. - I doubt my TDEE is 1700 or less.. gives me a reading of more like 3500 on the weekends,. because I am more active when not working.
    If you are eating X amount of calories and not gaining or losing, then X is your TDEE. How else do you explain that you are not losing or gaining?

I'm not trying to,. I have no idea. Scoobies gives me 2426 if I put in very active. Even with that number I still eat more then 500 calories less everyday. Maybe TDEE is a myth.. (haha).
    the IIFYM calc give me 2757 TDEE.. so not to far off what bugg says...on a light day.. If I put in everyday only (not intense) it give me 2617 and I do exercise over an hour every day.
    How much are you eating on average per day?
    1500-1800 calories..
    Ok. If your TDEE were higher than that, you'd be losing weight. Your TDEE is definitely not 3000 unless you are losing over a 2 lbs a week. ;)
    I think you can assume, like mine, that your BodyBugg is overestimating by 10%. Their own website says they are 90% accurate, so that's no surprise. So let's say the IIFYM calculation is right for you, like it's right for me. Then the rest is maybe hiding somewhere in your intake. If you're weighing and measuring everything then maybe something you always have is way off in the database?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    OK, so I've gotten myself confused again. Isn't TDEE supposed to include your exercise calories?? If I do that, than I'm more like 1800-1900 per day.
    Yeah, ignore 'exercise calories' completely. The only two numbers you are concerned with is how much you physically eat, and how much your weight changes.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    100% completely missed the point.

Um.....maybe not, maybe you didn't read 100% of my post:
    For weight control, you have to know how much food you put in, so you don't eat more than you burn (i.e. diary calories consumed minus TDEE = budget deficit or surplus).

When a real person eats real food in real life, guess what, they DO need to measure it in order to know how much they're eating.

When real food in real life has a calorie number associated with it, that number is an approximation that can be off by 10-20%.

I have to assume that you understand the concept of calibrating an instrument or process. Apply it here, instead of just assuming every other part of the process is magically perfect.

Yes I do. I'm reminded of having to learn how to calibrate a Metler scale in organic chemistry class. Gasoline and food fall into the category of organic chemistry. Studied cellular physiology and biochemistry also.

But..I'll admit I was wrong about CO2 in the "respiration method". Oxygen consumed, as stated by other posters, is more direct a measurement of food burned than CO2 produced.

I can admit when I am wrong.

Can you?
    Yep I can, but what was I wrong about?
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go by: iifym.com/iifym-calculator/. It gives me a TDEE 1867. I eat at a calorie goal of 1860 & lose weight!

Like I said earlier, this calculation came to 2180, Haybales' spreadsheet gave me 2180 and my FitBit said I burned 2190! I'd say that must be pretty close to my TDEE with all three being within 10 calories of one another. I swear by Haybales' spreadsheet!!! If you want to try the TDEE-deficit method, it's my "go to" for calculations!!!!! I'm also surprised my FitBit is as close as it is, because my general gestalt was that is was off?!

Here is the link to the spreadsheet for anyone who wants to try it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever logged my food accurately for 29 straight days. That's just insane. LOL.

Why is that insane? What's the point of logging if you don't do it consistently? I don't think I've missed more than 10 days of logging in the last 2 years - when I'm away on vacation really. Even then I try to at least estimate caloric intake.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Excellent method, the only couple of problems with the method for many are that they started from the wrong side of the range from good to bad level of deficit amounts.

If the loss included muscle mass because deficit was too great, not enough protein, and no resistance training - then the 3500 assumption doesn't work.

If the logging had enough inaccuracies in it, not the food, but the meals or days, then TDEE is actually higher than calculated.
    If you had 6 days of binges in there (easily could be done if undereating and hangry) where you logged nothing, that's 14% of the days missing data.
    If you have 2 or 3 meals every weekend where you have no idea of the calorie count so don't even bother estimating, incomplete data.

If you started a new routine the last week before the month weigh-in, and were falsely retaining water weight.

If you just started a diet and had big water weight drop, false starting number.

Most of those things would cause the TDEE given to be artificially low, and would actually result in under-eating even more likely.

That kind of incomplete data requires longer than a month to drown out in the general noise.

So I agree a great idea, but for good application, the more incomplete the data, the longer it must be for decently correct calculation.

OK, I'm new to the TDEE thing, so someone will need to clarify for me :)

I did my totals for the past month, have logged for 55 days so did a period of time in the middle that would not be affected by large water losses.

Total calories consumed 39853
    On average 1428cals a day

Weight lost was 8pds = 28000

Oct 1 - Oct 28 (28 days)
    39853 eaten

8 lbs lost (+28000)
    Total = 67853

TDEE = 2423 (67853 / 28)

If I take 25% away to lose weight I'm left with 1818cal intake each day.

However :
    My BMR on Scooby's Workshop is 1831.

TDEE was 2198 (set to sedentary)

Daily Calories to lose 25% fat loss - 1648

So does that mean technically I'm still overeating, or should I be factoring in my weekly exercise into the Scoobys calculations?

As for the pointers above:
    No muscle mass loss, if anything it's gained
    I logged everything religiously, the good, the bad and the binges
    Middle section of my weight loss progress, no big water losses
    The whole point of this is to not use a genericized estimate like scooby's. Your TDEE was not 2198. It was 2423. So there is no reason to do 2198 - 25%.

Anyway if you don't want to eat below your (estimated) BMR then don't. You can always go to TDEE - 20% or a lower % and still lose. (Or just use a round number like 2000 if you prefer.)
  • GadgetGuy2
    Options

That you have to measure the food put in, for the respiration method.
    That you have to measure the gas put in, for the exhaust method.

On a lighter note, that is real good height your getting on the 1 meter (rails? 3 meter) in your profile pic. Jackknife? I swam and dove on my High School swim team. I've also been an avid ocean diver for over 30 years. Love the water! :)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    I don't think I've ever logged my food accurately for 29 straight days. That's just insane. LOL.

Why is that insane? What's the point of logging if you don't do it consistently? I don't think I've missed more than 10 days of logging in the last 2 years - when I'm away on vacation really. Even then I try to at least estimate caloric intake.
    Agreed. I've missed two days since December 18th 2012. One of those I was having surgery done.:wink:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    The online calculators put my TDEE about 1830-1860 calories

This puts my TDEE -20% at about 1480.
    Being that I only had about 10 pounds to lose, I set MFP to .5#/week which had me at about 1400. I lost most the weight (ate back my exercise deficit) then I tried the -10/15% and lost no weight for 6 months. I switched back to -20% and lost the last few pounds.

Maybe I mess up logging food/exercise. Maybe my body just doesn't use calories exactly like the internet predicted.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go by: iifym.com/iifym-calculator/. It gives me a TDEE 1867. I eat at a calorie goal of 1860 & lose weight!

Like I said earlier, this calculation came to 2180, Haybales' spreadsheet gave me 2180 and my FitBit said I burned 2190! I'd say that must be pretty close to my TDEE with all three being within 10 calories of one another. I swear by Haybales' spreadsheet!!! If you want to try the TDEE-deficit method, it's my "go to" for calculations!!!!! I'm also surprised my FitBit is as close as it is, because my general gestalt was that is was off?!

Here is the link to the spreadsheet for anyone who wants to try it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE
    I got 2500 from the above, from Liftthepizzas calculation and from the iifym's online calculator. And, apparently if I had a Fitbit rather than a Bodymedia, I would've gotten 2500 from that too. I'm convinced. :laugh:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

That you have to measure the food put in, for the respiration method.
    That you have to measure the gas put in, for the exhaust method.

On a lighter note, that is real good height your getting on the 1 meter in your profile pic. Jackknife? I swam and dove on my High School swim team. I've also been an avid ocean diver for over 30 years. Love the water! :)
    I didn't say anything about the respiration method other than the result is not as useful in practical application.

You can use alternative methods, but in order to control your intake/weight, you do need to measure how much food you are physically putting on your plate. So the idea is to use the process you're using all the time to perform the calculation which is going to be used to continue. All of the errors in your own methods are then calibrated directly into your result.

So while the method you're talking about may be more accurate in terms of "how many glucose molecules am I utilizing in a month" what I'm talking about is more accurate in terms of 'how many grams of Breyer's Ice cream should I put into this bowl for my late-night snack?'

I never dove on a team but my best are 1.5 pike/open pike on the one meter and 2.5 tuck on the 3 meter. (I now want to learn twisters.)
    Here's me being wrong: :laugh:
    divefail_zps56ff4cc4.gif
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I've logged my food for over 700 days. I've never bothered to figure out TDEE though.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm new to the TDEE thing, so someone will need to clarify for me :)

I did my totals for the past month, have logged for 55 days so did a period of time in the middle that would not be affected by large water losses.

Total calories consumed 39853
    On average 1428cals a day

Weight lost was 8pds = 28000

Oct 1 - Oct 28 (28 days)
    39853 eaten

8 lbs lost (+28000)
    Total = 67853

TDEE = 2423 (67853 / 28)

If I take 25% away to lose weight I'm left with 1818cal intake each day.

However :
    My BMR on Scooby's Workshop is 1831.

TDEE was 2198 (set to sedentary)

Daily Calories to lose 25% fat loss - 1648

So does that mean technically I'm still overeating, or should I be factoring in my weekly exercise into the Scoobys calculations?

As for the pointers above:
    No muscle mass loss, if anything it's gained
    I logged everything religiously, the good, the bad and the binges
    Middle section of my weight loss progress, no big water losses

Was that BMR based on Katch using estimated bodyfat %?

Harris is badly inflated when overfat, Mifflin not as bad but still somewhat. Katch will actually be slightly deflated when overfat.

But your TDEE is likely what you came up with - for whatever the level of activity was during that time period looked at.
    Keep that up if the weight is the same - same TDEE.
    Lighter weight though TDEE will come down.

So you could say your TDEE is 2423 / 1831 BMR = 1.32 activity factor for this level of activity.

You keep that up, you drop weight, your estimated (true or not doesn't matter) BMR goes down, take new weight BMR x 1.32 and there is new TDEE.

Or if you kept up logging correctly, the new calculation would point out the new lower TDEE too.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    mines about 9 snicker bars
  • jorge_007
    jorge_007 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    For me it would be:
    Daily calorie requirement without weight loss: 3649
    Minimum calorie intake: 3102 per day

No exercise/sedentary lifestyle: 2400 a day
  • GadgetGuy2
    Options
    I didn't say anything about the respiration method other than the result is not as useful in practical application.
    Regardless of what either of us say now, the record speaks for itself.

Enjoy your diving!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

If 29 straight days is insane, what is >800 straight days? :huh:

10/23 - 11/21 = 98972 calories
    Weight change (171-171 = 0)
    Average TDEE = 3299

From my weight trend over this time, I suspect my last weight is actually under by two pounds. If so, then TDEE is 3065 which is consistent with my TDEE over a longer time period. (If I back out exercise, it's about 2700.)

Yay, math *is* fun!
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've been doing mine this way for 10 months. I do a rolling average calculation over the previous 4 weeks on my TDEE, to smooth out any swings, and I round it to the nearest 100 calories. With my exercise levels (I average burns of 4,000-5,000 per week, so 600-700 per day), my TDEE is usually 2,100 or 2,200.

That means, of course, that IF the burn figures were correct, then my TDEE WITHOUT exercise would only be about 1,500, which is about 600-700 LESS than all of the online calculators say it is. So it's a good job I didn't trust them, or I could have been overeating by that much every day - i.e. nearly 1½ lb a week difference).