Mid 20s, 150lb weight loss journey

Options
I am in the process of losing 150lbs. I'm 27 and never really had bad stretch marks. Even though I've always been bigger, I have carried it fairly well being that I'm about 5'10. I am curious about having excess skin the farther along I get in my weight loss. I'm hopeful that it won't be anything exercise can't take care of but would love to hear from people close to my age and height. Will my age help with retaining elasticity?

Replies

• starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I'm 32 years old and my doctor recommended a good skin creme to help with that. I have quite a bit more to lose myself and I'm starting to get the lpose skin under my arms and at the belly so I'm just trying to keep it moisturized. I think the bottom line is, everyone's body is different. I've seen people lose 150 lbs and they don't have a lot of skin and some lose 80 and they have tons of skin hanging so it really just depends on you.
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    You should be fine. Don't lose really quickly and drink your water so your skin will be able to adjust as you lose weight. I'm the same age as you and have quite a bit to lose, and have looked into the excess skin deal, as well. If there is a little once you hit your goal, wait 2 years and you *should* be fine. =P (Yes...your age helps with retaining elasticity.)
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be 29 next week thursday (Thanksgiving :)) and a few years ago I lost 100 pounds. I'm 5'10" and my starting weight was at least 289. I lost on average 1-2 pounds a week and it took me maybe a year (?). I actually never paid attention to the timeline.

I have been maintaining for about 2 years now and have about 30-40 pounds I"m looking to kick now.

I have a very small amount of excess skin on my stomach. A very small amount. Once I flatten out my stomach and tone up, if it's still there I am goign to look into having it removed as I've worked so hard to get where I am. However, if you have a little extra skin it will eventually tighten up at least a bit (i heard to give it a year) and then if you can't have it removed just be proud and use it as a memory of how far you've come!

I agree though you *should* be fine!! Good luck!
  • des618
    des618 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP for posting this question, I was just thinking about this myself this morning! Nice to see that with time and slow loss most people have success with their skin shrinking naturally. :-)
  • Glissenklw
    Glissenklw Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've lost 67lbs so far, with lots of exercise, and I'm 31. I keep my skin moisturized and I drink plenty of water. I still have another 20-40lbs I want to lose, but I don't have any sagging skin. As I'm losing weight, sometimes I can see spots that look more loose than before, but after a month or so (with my continued hardcore workouts) it appears toned again. A lot of research has shown that if you moisturize, stay hydrated and just keep toning - that your skin can make a pretty good recovery (especially since you are still so young). They say to never consider skin removal surgery until after 2-3 years of weight loss, because sometimes it just takes your skin a little bit to "catch up".
  • lacyjo11
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! So much! It's really nice to hear real input instead of just googling for facts.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!