Dropped to a size 0

Options
So today I went to express. I shop there a lot for many things. I'm usually a size 2. I've lost weigh about 9 lbs so far. I'm by no means skinny. I feel like I may slender but today I was looking for shorts for the beach, some pants and a dress. The lady looked at me and asked if I would need a size 0 or a a 00. I think I may have given her a confused look as I was shocked that she thinks I'm that small. I told her I would need a size 2. I've tried all the size 2 and they were really lose. She have me some size 0's and some of them fit well and some of them are even loose. I was shocked. I'm still planning to lose 4 more pounds. I'm currently 5'4.5" and 118 lbs. I just feel like its weird that I'm now an infamous size 0. I'm not sure what to feel about it. I know it's just size and I should be happy that I obviously lost inches. I just always imagine size 0 to be a lot smaller than me. I guess I can blame this to vanity sizing.

Replies

• 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    They have definitely changed the sizing though the years...I am 5'7". And when I weighed 116 lbs I wore a size 7. Time has changed the sizes...but I guess because people in general are larger...the sizes had to change. Sounds like you are a good weight! Congrats!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss. From your profile picture, you look really tiny. It sounds like a size 0 was a big surprise to you. I remember when I went from a size tight 16 to a size 6 and being totally shocked. At least now that I'm back into the size 6 again I'm not so shocked at all.

Is it okay with you that you are now a much smaller size?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    They have definitely changed the sizing though the years...I am 5'7". And when I weighed 116 lbs I wore a size 7. Time has changed the sizes...but I guess because people in general are larger...the sizes had to change. Sounds like you are a good weight! Congrats!

Yes, I think this is true too. It could be that clothing manufacturer's know how to play into our vanity?
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I would stay where I was if I were you. You don't need to lose any more. You are at the lower end of a healthy weight. Congratulations!!!! You look good.
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss. From your profile picture, you look really tiny. It sounds like a size 0 was a big surprise to you. I remember when I went from a size tight 16 to a size 6 and being totally shocked. At least now that I'm back into the size 6 again I'm not so shocked at all.

Yeah I'm ok with being a size 0 because I know it's just vanity sizing. I don't have bones jutting out of my body and I'm at a healthy weight. What I wonder is because of all these vanity sizing, what would women smaller than me wear?
  • Doctorpurple
    Options
    I would stay where I was if I were you. You don't need to lose any more. You are at the lower end of a healthy weight. Congratulations!!!! You look good.

Thanks. I'm actually happy with my weight now and just want to lose a few lbs to cover for any ups during maintainance. Even then, I will never aim to go below the healthy range of bmi.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    That's very interesting. You must have the genes for having a slender body. Not that that's anything anyone should be jealous of. Looking through your photos, you don't look anorexic or anything. I say kudos! Once you hit your goal weight, you should start doing resistance training and developing a nice, toned body. then you'd be slammin'!
  • Jes21sica
    Jes21sica Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Express clothes run kind of big. Ive been shopping there for a long time. At my smallest I was 5'6 135 lbs and a size 2 at express.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options

Yeah I'm ok with being a size 0 because I know it's just vanity sizing. I don't have bones jutting out of my body and I'm at a healthy weight. What I wonder is because of all these vanity sizing, what would women smaller than me wear?

Children's clothes?
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Vanity sizing yes... but sizes do vary by designer and maker. I found Old Navy and the Gap size 0 runs a bit larger than let's say... 7 for All Mankind. The huge difference between size 2 and size 0 is the availability of clothes. You are very young so finding stylish and age appropriate size 0 and 00 should be a piece of cake! You are at a healthy weight, enjoy your new figure! Congrats!
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Congrats !! You look great .

I don`t think I was a size 0 even when I was born !! lololololol

Try buying in the kids department!! LOL you will save money :)
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I hear this (about clothing manufacturers making sizes bigger), but I wonder...

Let's say in the 70's and 80's some of the ladies are saying they were a size 6 (I just picked a random size), and they were 120 pounds. But now they are 140 pounds and in a size 6, how could that be?

I'm wondering about how your body looked back then...where you skinny fat and now you have muscle which makes your body heavier but leaner? I know back in the day it was all about cardio cardio cardio...girls aspired to be "thin" and looking back they were all skinny fat. No muscle at all.

I remember 20 years ago when I lost 100 pounds. My mom was a size 8 at 125 pounds. We were the same height and I was 148 and fit in her size 8 jeans but I was building muscle while losing fat.

After being stuck at 170 pounds for 8 weeks and losing 2 jean sizes and 20", I'm wondering if the sizing in clothes is still the same as always but we are all heavier from having more muscle?

Just a thought...
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Good job on the loss and you're obviously slender but don't forget that sizes vary by designer and even by lines within a design house. So don't be alarmed.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options

I have found that Express runs really big. I wear a snug size 6 most of the time, and I can wear Express 2 or 4 and their small tops. It does vary by designer as well. I'm a 10 in Lauren for crying out loud. >.<
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    You look great, just naturally petite.

I'm English so our sizing and shops are different, but I have a pair of trousers I bought in Abercrombie & Fitch when I was on holiday in the US in 2003, they're a US 8. They're a lot more generous than the English size 12 they're the equivalent of. I could probably get into a US6 pair of trousers, but I doubt I could get into an English 10 from any store here. Dresses, fine, no problem, but not trousers!
  • Doctorpurple
    Options

I have found that Express runs really big. I wear a snug size 6 most of the time, and I can wear Express 2 or 4 and their small tops. It does vary by designer as well. I'm a 10 in Lauren for crying out loud. >.<

That's what a figured. I love express so much that I mainly shop there and banana republic which runs similarly. I would definitely enjoy my new size and new figure and I probably would never be a size smaller than I am now so do not have to worry for smaller sizing. I know in premium jeans I'm still a 26. My thighs are pretty big.
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Maybe some brands have bigger/smaller sizes? :D American brands are always big on me, I'm always a small/medium but in Filipino sizes i'm a large/extra large LOL confusing sizes. anyway, YOU LOOK GREAT!! :D
  • Doctorpurple
    Options
    Maybe some brands have bigger/smaller sizes? :D American brands are always big on me, I'm always a small/medium but in Filipino sizes i'm a large/extra large LOL confusing sizes. anyway, YOU LOOK GREAT!! :D

I'm filipino too. I grew up there until I was 17 and moved to the US I remember I was even smaller back then like 6 lbs smaller. Lol. And I'm in between small and medium. Here almost always extra small. I'm planning to visit the Philippines again and would hate to feel "fat" among the slender people. You know Filipinos say whatever they want to say most of the time so if they think you are overweight they will let you know. Lol
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    As an old codger I can tell you that sizing has changed hugely over the years. I wore a size 2 in high school back in the 70's when I weighed 90 lbs. In the 80's I was about 110 and wore an 8. I went up over the years to 140 and could still buy a new size 8, maybe a 10. Now I'm 115 lbs and wearing a 2 or 4. Something certainly changed along the way!

And being 56 and having to shop in the teen department is a challenge. I like the style but I really want my pants to come up just a bit higher and I'd like by belly and boobs not to be hanging out. My work clothes can be casual so I end up shopping at a sports shop and wearing a lot of yoga type pants with long tees and hoodies.
  • Doctorpurple
    Options
    As an old codger I can tell you that sizing has changed hugely over the years. I wore a size 2 in high school back in the 70's when I weighed 90 lbs. In the 80's I was about 110 and wore an 8. I went up over the years to 140 and could still buy a new size 8, maybe a 10. Now I'm 115 lbs and wearing a 2 or 4. Something certainly changed along the way!

And being 56 and having to shop in the teen department is a challenge. I like the style but I really want my pants to come up just a bit higher and I'd like by belly and boobs not to be hanging out. My work clothes can be casual so I end up shopping at a sports shop and wearing a lot of yoga type pants with long tees and hoodies.

May I ask why you need to shop at teen department if you are size 2 or 4? Does the womens section not have these sizes? I'm not sure if this is a recent phenomenon. I've been the west coast for a long time but when I went to Midwest, a department store called younkers only carry size 6 and above for women. It's crazy.