over working out ... not enough calories....

Options
maletac
maletac Posts: 767 Member
so here's my new beef with the diet system....

i worked out and burned off 1k calories today
my diet gives me 1500...

its dinner time and i ate a good meal and wont really be that hungry tonight

so my thing is this... ill try to have another protein shake and maybe a salad .. but im pretty full as it is... and im in a pretty hard core work out routine

so diet is very important but at this point it kinda feels like im stuffing calories to keep my body from going crazy

any idea or tips?

Replies

• dudleyvic
    Options
    I too am getting really full with lots of calories banked over. Good Question!
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    no one says you have to eat all of them. If you honestly aren't hungry, you're not doing your body any good to stuff it with food, even if it is healthy. That being said, if you know you're going to have a lot of calories left over at night, you could always eat more during the day. maybe snack on a handful of almonds during the day.

edit: @dudleyvic: I just saw that you've lost 138 pounds. That's amazing! You're such an inspiration!
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    maletac-i def get what you are saying on the exercise calories!! most people say that they eat half of there extra calories...i feel that if i workout to burn more calories why would i want to eat all of them again, in past diets i've done, you workout to get an extra calorie burn not so you can eat more!!! i try not to use those extra calories, but if i go over my normal amount by a little bit i don't freak out! good luck on the choice you make, and i'm sure you will find out what works best for you and your maximum weight loss strategies!! :)
  • dudleyvic
    Options
    Thanks Brittnie. ; )

My biggest concern about the calories is the theory that our body needs fuel every 4 hours or else it will go to starvation mode. I don't want that to happen with all the calories I burn so I need to eat something.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals for the day every morning, with equal calories for each meal.
  • maletac
    Options
    just one side note... and the reason im concerned with calories...

im doing P90X and a weight trainign routine... and cardio every night... so if i dont keep up with my calories im afraid my body might crash on me
  • pratrat150
    Options
    Wow, I was just about to post a similar topic. I'm having trouble getting in all my calories when I work out too. I'm really afraid that my body is going to go into starvation mode because I'm not consuming enough calories. Should I be concerned about this? I read on one of the posts explaining MFP and how to use it that you must eat all your exercise calories.

I also work out at night so it's hard to say how many calories I will have to compensate for throughout the day.

I'm confused. Any help would be great! Thanks!
  • maletac
    Options
    Wow, I was just about to post a similar topic. I'm having trouble getting in all my calories when I work out too. I'm really afraid that my body is going to go into starvation mode because I'm not consuming enough calories. Should I be concerned about this? I read on one of the posts explaining MFP and how to use it that you must eat all your exercise calories.

I also work out at night so it's hard to say how many calories I will have to compensate for throughout the day.

I'm confused. Any help would be great! Thanks!

i started taking in more protein shakes .. and even an avacado (a lot of calories) to make that game within 500 or less... just so then i can feel okay with it all
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    maletac-i def get what you are saying on the exercise calories!! most people say that they eat half of there extra calories...i feel that if i workout to burn more calories why would i want to eat all of them again, in past diets i've done, you workout to get an extra calorie burn not so you can eat more!!! i try not to use those extra calories, but if i go over my normal amount by a little bit i don't freak out! good luck on the choice you make, and i'm sure you will find out what works best for you and your maximum weight loss strategies!! :)

Because MFP already calculates a deficit for you, unless you set your goal at maintain. If you are at a maintaining calorie amount, then don't eat your exercise calories or you won't lose! If you set it at a "lose weight" amount, then even if you don't work out, you will still lose because you are eating less than what you need to maintain. Hope that makes sense!