Thoughts on German Volume Training?

Options
I'm wondering if anyone on here has tried GVT and if so how it has worked out? The hypertrophy benefits sound very plausible, however i can't imagine only doing one exercise per body part per session, and only that once over the course of a week.

My thoughts for adjustment are either hitting every body part twice a week, or maybe doing two exercises per body part, but having never tried it i don't know how badly it kicks one's *kitten*...

Replies

• longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    has anyone even heard of GVT???
  • healthykae
    healthykae Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Ist es auf Deutsch?

Of course they call it German because it's "one of the most difficult groups of exercises.."
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Try it.

It's not the sort of program I'd expect folks on here to have much experience with.

Most people cant handle the intensity.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I did it. Loved it. I had to do it at home though, and I didn't have enough weight to really push it as much as I would have liked. If you've been lifting a while, I'd say give it a go. BB.com has some pretty useful log sheets if you need them. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/luis13.htm
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I throw a GVT squat session into my training from time to time. I love it, but I think many people don't go quite as heavy as they could simply because the idea of 100 reps is intimidating. If you're really pushing yourself it's great.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    You have to go lighter than you normally would because you take far shorter rest periods.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    You have to go lighter than you normally would because you take far shorter rest periods.

Yes, but my point is that most people I see go too light
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if anyone on here has tried GVT and if so how it has worked out? The hypertrophy benefits sound very plausible, however i can't imagine only doing one exercise per body part per session, and only that once over the course of a week.

My thoughts for adjustment are either hitting every body part twice a week, or maybe doing two exercises per body part, but having never tried it i don't know how badly it kicks one's *kitten*...

If you are going to do it, do it as it's written.

It's planned out that way for a reason.

If you want another variation look at Thibaudeau's Optimized Volume Training

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/
    sports_body_training_performance/optimized_volume_training