How much weight can you actually lose in one day?

Options
2»

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day too. The reason is that I spike and drop regularly (and even more so once a month). One day, I weighed myself in the morning and then again (on the same scale) after breakfast and coffee. I'd dropped three pounds.

If I weigh myself each day, I can see that I added 3 pounds overnight = not real. If I weighed once a week and found I was six pounds up, I'd have no idea whether that was a progressive gain, or just water weight.

I use an app called Happy Scale to provide a regression line.

However, and my best advice to you is, take measurements: arm, chest, waist, hips, legs. Do it every month. That way, if you hit a plateau, you can see whether its a real plateau or a body recomp. Because that scale doesn't measure what you really need to to measure - fat loss.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I think you just have to look at the trend over time. that is why personally i weigh daily. i enter my weight on a line graph and see where I am trending. If the trend line is horizonal for the most part...I am basically just maintaining, but if it is slanted (one way or the other) I know I am doing things right (or wrong).
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day too. The reason is that I spike and drop regularly (and even more so once a month). One day, I weighed myself in the morning and then again (on the same scale) after breakfast and coffee. I'd dropped three pounds.

If I weigh myself each day, I can see that I added 3 pounds overnight = not real. If I weighed once a week and found I was six pounds up, I'd have no idea whether that was a progressive gain, or just water weight.

I use an app called Happy Scale to provide a regression line.

However, and my best advice to you is, take measurements: arm, chest, waist, hips, legs. Do it every month. That way, if you hit a plateau, you can see whether its a real plateau or a body recomp. Because that scale doesn't measure what you really need to to measure - fat loss.

Yeah, the scales might not accurately measure fat loss, but my clothes do.

My once tight-fitting jeans are now baggy. It appears my bottom has moved upwards an inch. :P
  • kikijennifer
    Options
    In the past as much as 3 pounds. Probaly water. I just don't understand why the water loss when we start eatin very little?! Even when I keep drinkin to not dehydrate.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    50 pounds.
  • Flabulousss
    Options
    I was about to say, that I've lost a pound in 20 minutes on the toilet, but it looks like that has been covered.

20 minutes on the toilet!?? Wow. Is this normal? Maybe take a fiber supplement if you're not getting enough. There's no need to waste more than a couple minutes of valuable time in the loo. lol
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I was about to say, that I've lost a pound in 20 minutes on the toilet, but it looks like that has been covered.

20 minutes on the toilet!?? Wow. Is this normal? Maybe take a fiber supplement if you're not getting enough. There's no need to waste more than a couple minutes of valuable time in the loo. lol

IBS
  • likitisplit
    Options
    In the past as much as 3 pounds. Probaly water. I just don't understand why the water loss when we start eatin very little?! Even when I keep drinkin to not dehydrate.

Your muscles store glycogen for easily accessed energy. Each molecule of glycogen is attached to a water molecule. When you cut, your muscles use the glycogen and release the water.
  • termi21
    termi21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One day, I weighed myself in the morning and then again (on the same scale) after breakfast and coffee. I'd dropped three pounds.
    I can see that I added 3 pounds overnight = not real

You really need to buy a new scale... Your current one defies physics :p
  • amittelstedt1202
    Options
    You can actually lose weight 3x faster if you weigh yourself daily at least that's what I've read... no promises