Struggling with body image

Options
So I am recovering from anorexia...yes I have a team and yes they know all this. I have started gaining weight outpatient for the first time. I officially today have gained 3 lbs. I am 5 ft 7.5 inches and now weigh 89.6 lbs...this is highest I have been in months and I haven't been over 90 lbs since Feb. I am struggling because already I see the changes in my face and thighs and the fit of my clothes and I am freaking out. I know I have to gain to 110-115 by may and I am just scared what others will think about me. Anyone have any support.

Also, after my 5k on thanksgiving I am thinking of stopping my two 30 minute runs per week. I run really slow (thanks anorexia) and only run like 20 mins of the 30...will this make me gain a ton?

Thanks for everything.

Replies

• jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    btw this picture (my profile one) is me at 115
  • goodnamegone
    Options
    I would keep running and do as much fitness as feels good and is healthy. I would also follow the advice given from your team and keep gaining and know that the fears and voices you hear are not to be trusted.

Well done for being in recovery. If you keep doing fitness I am hoping it will make you feel strong in your body and will help other things heal.

It's normal to be scared about gaining and that's the disease talking. You can gain and look amazing. Maybe it's also good to find someone who inspires you, a fitness model, a slender and healthy body who is not underweight and looks great. Someone with vitality and energy and is shining with health.

It's also good to think about what things you love to do. Music, creative arts, science, writing, what are your passions? Get busy with what you love to be good at.

Hope everything goes super well for you in your recovery.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Running doesn't make you gain, but I think that you can only fully recover if you stop thinking about weight - minutes - calories - gains - clothes - numbers and anything related. I know it's hard, you can do it by little steps. But you know you *have* to gain some healthy, necessary weight to get better. No one is going to tell you anything about that, because they know that's good for you.
  • soyglitter
    Options
    You are severely underweight and you should not exercise AT ALL because your health and your life are at extreme risk due to starvation. I have been in recovery from anorexia myself since June and I am not allowed to even WALK for more than 30 minutes a day. I am the same height as you and my lowest weight was 97lbs and I was nearly forced into going into inpatient because of extreme malnutrition. I still am being threatened with hospital, despite gaining around 8 lbs since then. Please stop damaging your body even more by exercise! I too suffer from horrible body image, but please please trust me when I say it is only the disorder that is making you think you look any different! Please stay strong, stay in recovery and please consult a doctor regarding your exercise routine. Good luck.
  • thereallucylastix
    thereallucylastix Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well I think you look great in your profile picture.

I know how it is to obsess about thighs and the fit of clothes and the best advice I can give you is to ditch the anorexia wardrobe and buy clothes that will fit your 110lb self - switch up that feeling of everything being tight and start wearing clothes that won't start to look good until you gain some weight. Its like giving up smoking - you've got top ditch those props.

As for what others will think of you - I have had my own struggles with this. I have melasma (patches of pigment on my face). I struggle to cover them with makeup and used to obsess about them, like I thought people wouldn't like me if I didn't look perfect. I was away with work one day and at my boss's suggestion, I decided to be brave and not wear makeup - the weather was really hot and sunny, I was out in it pretty much all day and struggling to re-apply sunscreen (very important for melasma sufferers) without removing all my makeup and re-applying every few hours. Once we were in the car there was no going back. I did panic, but the thing that suprised me most was that nobody stopped talking to me - nobody ignored me, nobody really made any kind of fuss over it. If they noticed they didn't mention it, and to be honest, I think it made me more approachable. And that's when I realised that my version of perfect was different to everyone else's. Being less than perfect made me a real person.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I am just scared what others will think about me. Anyone have any support.

They will probably think you are looking healthier and better.

I would advise stopping running until you gain what you need to do. You NEED to gain. It's a good healthy thing. You can start running again once you are healthy. I bet you'll even be better at it.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    So I am recovering from anorexia...yes I have a team and yes they know all this. I have started gaining weight outpatient for the first time. I officially today have gained 3 lbs. I am 5 ft 7.5 inches and now weigh 89.6 lbs...this is highest I have been in months and I haven't been over 90 lbs since Feb. I am struggling because already I see the changes in my face and thighs and the fit of my clothes and I am freaking out. I know I have to gain to 110-115 by may and I am just scared what others will think about me. Anyone have any support.

Also, after my 5k on thanksgiving I am thinking of stopping my two 30 minute runs per week. I run really slow (thanks anorexia) and only run like 20 mins of the 30...will this make me gain a ton?

Thanks for everything.

stop the running. do not do the 5K. do light walking or yoga. I can't imagine your treatment team would support you doing a 5K at your bmi.

congratulations on your decision to get well, but eating the calories necessary for adequate gain will be challenging enough for you...exercising even some of those calories away is impeding your efforts.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    You need to wait until you are at a healthy weight to start running. You probably to don't have the capacity to eat back your exercise calories right now and your whole system has been compromised from prolonged starvation. Focus on building healthy eating habits first, then get back to exercise.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    This is coming from someone who is still in reovery from an ED (still have major body image issues)....

Do NOT stop running. As people above you are trying to tell you. Yes, I agree with them that its not very healthy. But you can't stop running and start eating all at once. That is like taking crack from a Coke head and telling them to deal with it. It doesn't work. You're brain is not wired like that.

I would however suggest reducing your runs to about 10-15 mins max and walk the other 15 min. Then you need to drink a big protein shake when you get back from your run. Make this your new habit!! I would also add one day or stregth training to your routine. Only 15 min or so at first. Start building yoru muscle again. *edited to add - I agree that you should probably not do the 5k next week!!!

As for food - you need to find healthy fats and more carbs to give you the energy. Your diary is not open, but obviously you need to start consuming more calories. You don't want to increase too much too quickly. Again - going extreme will make you revert to old habits. Add 100 cal or so per week until you get up to about 1100-1300 cal a day! Then your team can help you re-adjust to keep you on track!!

In regards to what people will think - this will be the hardest for you to process....but people will think you are amazing!!! People will commend your strength to get healthy! You HAVE to believe that. Best of luck to you!! Stay strong - stay focused!!
  • SheFoxyLady
    Options
    I can't give you any advice about running yet I felt like I needed to leave a word... My best friend has been struggling with anorexia for a couple of years now and is now in recovery. She's made the most amazing progress and has as of this day gained about 5 lbs. And may I tell you something? She's becoming more magnificent with every day - not that she wasn't before! But her cheeks were concave and her eyes dark and you could see the disease eating her away. Now, her cheeks are a bit fuller, her body a bit more consistent: she's beautiful and I can only praise her for all the courage she is putting in such an enterprise that is gaining weight.
    And I praise you for the efforts that you are doing, because I have seen such struggle. You're beautiful with very delicate features - I promise you, gaining weight won't make you 'ugly' - it'll make you glow, I promise :smile:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm assumign your "team" is professionals who are helping you with ED recovery. If so, and they approve of your running, don't worry about the naysayers above. If your team hasn't approved your running, ask them to. On top of making sure you're eating enough to get healthier and regain the necessary weight, you also need to make sure you're getting enough calories/nutrients to support a more intense exercise like running.
    I am just scared what others will think about me. Anyone have any support.
    They will probably think you are looking healthier and better.

Agreed!
  • D8vidFitness
    Options
    If you're already in a great process to gaining weight, just keep it up!
    Head up, beat any ED to the face! This life is about you! take charge!

Good luck!
  • TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    i don't like to say i'm "recovered" because those thoughts always come back, but i gained 100 lbs after deciding i wouldn't let my disorder take my life, i've re-lost 30 of it healthily, and i am SO much happier in life!!! your looks DO NOT define you! be the person that you are, nourish your beautiful body, and remember that the people that matter will love you no matter what <3
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not going to claim I know anything about what you're going through with trying to gain weight as I've been "the heavy one" all my life. I definitely understand the body image and worrying about what others think, been there and thankfully I'm over that!
    I do know you need to live a healthy lifestyle and think you should continue to exercise but not because you want to change how you look but to feel good. Someone posted keep running but add a protein shake, I love this idea, you need to fuel your body and perhaps right now clinical is the way you should look at the situation. If you have a team they should be helping guide you into healthy living and that means diet and exercise.
    A suggestion I have would be to clip out say the arms or abs or thighs of someone you think is really attractive, look at their body parts and I bet you don't critize them as you would yourself. For example I love the arms on Jennifer Anniston so I keep a mental picture of them in my head when I do my strength training, I'm looking for my own definition but in my mind I see her arms when I lift those weights and smile because I know each move gets me that much closer.

Good luck to you and be sure to follow the medical guidance of your team which I'm assuming consists of medical professionals.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    The only way you're going to be able to change your lifestyle and be healthy and happier is if you let go of the idea that doing all this will make you "bigger". You will end up HEALTHIER, and your body will function properly. You will have MORE energy, more stamina, and be able to DO more in your life.

The "being bigger" part is irrelevant. The being-healthier and able-to-do-things is important, not what you look like while doing them.

It will take a LOT of time, and a LOT of effort. It's a re-training of your mind as much as re-training of you body, and it won't be easy. But you'll have to let go of the validation you've gotten from the idea of being "smaller" and instead find a different source of validation.

Best of luck.
  • Amandainyaface
    Options
    Honestly you're just making a tough process even harder by running and exercising. I know it's hard, but believe me, you'd rather want to gain the weight back you need fast, and then afterwords you'll be able to run faster and for longer than you ever have before.
    I **** you not - You'll feel freaking amazing when you find out what your body can do if you allow it to be healthy and nourished!
    And no one will think you've gotten fat. If they even think anything, they'll think "holy mother she got beautiful!"

Keep fighting, and good luck.
  • shancheer24
    shancheer24 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just know that there are people on both sides of the fence that obsess about these things. Even as people lose weight they are very hard on themselves, dont like how they look, feel guilty about eating, ect. You will overcome this, you are stronger than this! I would just continue to slowly change your ways and develop a healthy way of life and try not to focus on the #'s ( i know easier said than done). Being comfortable in our own skin is a very hard thing to do, it doesnt just happen overnight. Keeping striving to your goals!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If your team has deemed that: you a) have met the minimal weight prerequisite for exercise and b) are not exercise obsessive, you may want to talk to them about body weight and resistance training to help recover lost lean mass and strength. That way, you will not only greatly improve functional strength, endurance and mobility but also maximize the amount of lean mass that is recovered leading to improved body composition once weight recovery is complete.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I am 20+ years in recovery from bulimia. I ate 800-1000 calories per day and exercised off at least 500 of them. Everyone was so proud of me because no one was allowed to see how little I was actually eating. I ended up with amenorrhea and malnourished. I was never as small as you are now or as you hope to be, but I was way too small for me. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

I know you are freaking out. And it's strange because I am freaking out in fear about not being able to make myself stop losing once I get down to a healthy weight again. I let myself get to and stay at 190+ for 10 years because I was scared of going back to the bad old days. For me, obese was healthier than underweight, but I am now aiming for healthiest. And so are you. Don't let the mirror freak you out. Don't let the scale freak you out. Let feeling better be your guiding light.

I don't think I would stop running, if I were you. I think I'd keep running and eat back every calorie of every run. Remind yourself that you earned those and you are worth feeding. Good luck. I'll be praying for you from a place of true empathy.

ETA: after reading others responses, I see some add weight/resistance training. Please ask your doctor about a bone density test before you do this. My understanding (granted docs have learned a lot in 20 years) is that if your bones aren't dense enough, actual weight lifting can cause micro fractures that may cause you real problems with osteoporosis later in life. Again, I could be wrong, but I thought a cautionary word couldn't hurt. I think resistance bands would be okay, but it really depends on your individual nutritional status. I also agree with adding a protein shake after your runs.
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It's going to be hard for you, no matter what. You're going to see these "changes," you speak of even if they aren't really there. You have to keep reminding yourself that it is healthy and seeing your team/being treated. I know it is difficult for you/you feel like a failure, but being 89 pounds is no way to live. Keep your chin up lady!

also you are BEAUTIFUL.