Does running get easier?

Options
Ive always just walked for exercise...but one night I was MAD and I went out and just ran...and I actually enjoyed it! Problem is...I couldn't run much without stopping and walking for a bit. So I downloaded the C25K app...My goal was to be able to do a 5k when im done the app...but I got pushed into that a little early! Doing a turkey trot with my friend on thanksgiving. Im SO not ready to run it...so I will be walking for a while!

I feel like im going to die just running 90 seconds (im on week 2 day 3) Does it get easier? Will I ever be able to run without feeling like my lungs are going to collapse and my legs are going to melt into jello?!?!?

Replies

• samkelly89
    samkelly89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You can do it! It does get easier... but you have to push yourself and keep moving those limits. I used to not be able to run for more than a minute without feeling like I was dying (overweight and asthma) then I made myself follow a training schedule and ran a full marathon in May. If I could do it, seriously anyone can. It gets better but you have to stick with it and it will hurt and you will need more angry runs! :) good luck!!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Well, yes, it does get easier. You have to build up your aerobic fitness first, but it does

However, it kind of sounds like you are running too fast. Pacing is an important thing to learn. Not every run should be a sprint. In fact, when starting out, no runs should be a sprint. Try to run at a pace where you could sustain a conversation, even if it feels like you are one step above walking. After you can do that for a while, then there are things you can do to increase your pace.
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I just started running this year at the age of 44 and I never ran before in my life (much). Here is my advice: 1. Slow down and go for distance, not speed. 2. Slow down some more. 3. Slllloooooooowwwwww dooooowwwwwnnnn.

The best way to increase your stamina is to run longer distances. If you are getting out of breath then you are going too fast. I never did C25K, I just started by jogging a mile at a time (when I started it tok over 20 min to run a mile). I am still slow. However, I have run up to 6 miles at one time and I only started in June.

It gets easier. Your legs get stronger. Your breathing gets easier. Your speed will improve with time, but don't worry about speed right now.

Enjoy the turkey trot. I am running one also! Have fun, dress up, be silly, enjoy and walking is totally fine. Know that you are fighting those calories before you even pack them on.

As time goes by you will enjoy it more, Some days it will feel like trudging through mud and other days you will feel like you are just gliding down the road. It takes a long time but in my opinion it is SO worth it.

Happy running!

-Artemis
  • zensugi
    Options
    It does get easier if you slowly build your aerobic capacity. A few months ago I started just like you and I could not run for one block, while now I can do a few kilometers. It is perfectly OK alternating walking and jogging, just push yourself a little bit and in a few months nobody will be able to stop you.
  • shawn1112
    shawn1112 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It gets easier but you do have to push yourself a bit. I started running last week of Aug and could barely run 2 min without feeling like I was dying Within about 4-5 weeks I could do a 5K. I would set a new challenge for myself every 4-5 days to run a new personal best distance wise and before I knew it 1 block turned it to 2 blocks turned in to 1/2 mile, you get the picture. When I finally got up to a mile without stopping I would then walk a half mile, then run another mile. You will be surprised how much easier it gets.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Easier? I don't know

Once you conquer more and more time/milage, it's not that it's easier, it's just better.

Push yourself to go farther and faster

Sprint sessions will help your longer runs too
  • SamMorBelsmom
    SamMorBelsmom Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    An answer to your breathing....a long distance runner told me this and it changed my running relationship for ever. Take a breath in for every step, times, out as much as possible for two steps. IN-IN-IN-out-out-IN-IN-IN-OUT-OUT-IN-IN-IN-OUT-OUT. If you get out of breath, change it to in-in-out, in-in-out. It cuts down your chance of a side stitch and it helped me amazingly. AND SLOW DOWN!!!! The speed will come later!
  • _SantaClause_
    _SantaClause_ Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    No.

Professional marathon runners always feel like they just smoked a pack of cigarettes
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    ...run without feeling like my lungs are going to collapse and my legs are going to melt into jello?!?!?

Probably not. Everytime you push to the ragged edge of your physical capabilities you're gonna feel like crap.

The catch is: As long as you don't quit working at it, someday that ragged edge will come at the end of miles and miles of racing instead of a handful of minutes.
  • PibblesRun
    PibblesRun Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I just want to make sure pushing myself is going to make it easier! I do love running...C25k does make you push longer each week...which is the purpose of the app. each week the jogs get longer and walks shorter until in 8 weeks BAM it says go run a 5k! lol

Maybe I am going a bit fast for a beginner. I will take the advice to slow down some and build my distance first! I am and will continue to push myself! Even when im done the 30 min for the app exercise...I go for another run and see how far I can go before I just cant take it anymore! each time I do try to make it just a few steps further! So I guess Im doing that right!

Im so excited for the 5k! I cant wait!!! Im definitely looking forward to being able to run the whole next one!
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Sort of. When I first started c25k I got winded even walking. Last night I just ran a 5k in under 40 minutes which may not seem that great but it was a big accomplishment for me. That being said, either improving my pace or distance is still difficult but in general it's more enjoyable.
  • PibblesRun
    PibblesRun Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    An answer to your breathing....a long distance runner told me this and it changed my running relationship for ever. Take a breath in for every step, times, out as much as possible for two steps. IN-IN-IN-out-out-IN-IN-IN-OUT-OUT-IN-IN-IN-OUT-OUT. If you get out of breath, change it to in-in-out, in-in-out. It cuts down your chance of a side stitch and it helped me amazingly. AND SLOW DOWN!!!! The speed will come later!

I will definitely have to try that! thanks :)
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Nope! But ya just have to push harder and keep going. Amazing!
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you could definitely benefit from some pacing practice. On my 'long runs' (typically 10-12 miles) I reign in my pace two ways:
    1) set a threshold on my HR- don't go above 160BPM, which is 80% of max, or the aerobic ceiling for me. Your max HR is likely different.
    If you don't have a HR monitor, go buy one. you can find them for $30 on Amazon.
    2) Say this phrase out loud.... not to yourself, say it like you were talking to a runner next to you.
    say "This is a good pace I could keep for a while"
    If you can't say it without pausing for a breath, or it disrupts your pattern, you're running too fast for aerobic runs.

There is absolutely ZERO reason you should finish a run on jello legs or with burning lungs. Any run. Ever. EVER.
    Save that kind of effort for races.