Protein Bars/Nutrition Bars

Options
I've always heard that protein bars and meal replacement bars were the worst and the equivalent to candy bars... and yet I see so many people's diaries filled with them?! Please explain the madness to me. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• binkyb00
    binkyb00 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the protein bars you eat. Most I heard contain lots of sugar. I buy a lot of Quest Bars when it goes on sale. It's got good amount of carbs/fat/protein and high fiber.
  • tessmca
    tessmca Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I buy Quest Bars to for after the gym, AI have just half and a small banana, that keeps me going till I can get to tea.
    Look at the back and keep any eye on the amount of sugar I, keep anything I eat to under 10g per serve of sugar.
    At the moment I am making my own Protein cookies and muffins. Found a protein muffin recipes that work wonders, cookies were a bit hard, but I think the secret is to use yoghurt for lightlness
  • chrishengge
    Options
    Take a look at Cliff Bar Builder Bars. Most places give you 10% or more off if you buy a whole box of a single flavor. They are pretty well balanced, taste pretty good, and pretty well filling.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If I want something lower in calories, I'll buy Quest bars which have a medium amount of protein and fats. If I want a meal replacement, I go for VPX Zero Impact bars. These are more brownie-like and one of the few companies that make Pumpkin Pie and German Chocolate cake as flavors.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    the issue is sugar in most protien bars. Essentially a lot of them are the same thing as a milky way with added protien. However they are not going to kill you. If you want a candy bar i would say one with added protien is better then one without it. Now that that is said though you can find some that are good.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Well, I have a hard time meeting my protein needs and i usually eat nuts, cottage cheese, eggs, chicken, blah blah blah every day. They fit my macros.

I have recently gotten on the Quest Natural nutrition band wagon. Not a total fan but tastes fine, can eat them when I am working (no break for almost 10 hours) and have lots of protein/fiber and low carbs.

The biggest thing is I can't eat meals and some bars fit my macros. I don't get breaks and am not allowed to eat meals in front of my customers for almost 10 hours.

I try to eat around 140-145 g of protein per day.
  • rosanna421
    rosanna421 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    i've been using pure protein bars, if my local costco starts selling quest bars, i'd definatly go for those instead. it helps when im traveling and need something thats easy and fast.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that protein bars and meal replacement bars were the worst and the equivalent to candy bars... and yet I see so many people's diaries filled with them?! Please explain the madness to me. :flowerforyou:

I eat 1 a day probably 5 or 6 times a week. Not the worst thing at all, especially if you need a quick breakfast on your way out the door. I always have a piece of fruit to go with it. Keeps my morning calories around 350-400 and I am filled up and feeling good. They are not going to kill you.

I like the atkins bars, south beach, zone perfect and kind brands. Clif bars and clif builders are also excellent.

Never heard of quest bars, but will have to check those out.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Chocolate bar with higher protein and fibre, and less carbs.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I don't perceive food as good or bad, so it's irrelevant to me if it equates to a candy bar. However, my addiction to Quest bars is self serving to my dietary needs as it is high in protein and fiber. It's a win/win. It's tasty and gets me to my macro goals.
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between meal replacement bars and protein bars. I was eating the carb conscious replacement bars, which were low in carbs and high in protein. It was higher in calories, but it replaced a meal. The dinky bars that have essentially no protein, and high sugars are candy bars...yes. No use wasting 200-300 calories on something that isn't benefiting you.
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Definitely depends on the bar. Quest bars are the only ones I eat. They contain less than 4g of sugar and are loaded with fiber and protein. I love them. (expensive though) 2.60 a bar where I live and that adds up quick so I only get them if I am gonna be super busy that day and can't really get food in.
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Options
    Love my quest bars and now googling the VPX bars... Mmmm.... The down side to quest is not sugar since they're low sugar, the down side is the whey isolate which is less than ideal, highly processed, much like in most shakes. However everything in moderation.
  • antjoanes
    antjoanes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    They're usually fairly high on the sugar levels but they are just handy sometimes. Today I really fancied a snickers but instead bought a Wholly Oats bar which had slightly more calories but at least they were useful carbs and protein.

I don't think they should be used as a staple, whey protein powder would be better and lower calorie and sugars.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I like to have a treat/snack in the afternoon, but need some protein to get me through my afternoon workout. A protein bar is better than a candy bar (less calories but extra protein) but I still feel like I'm getting a little treat. I also like that I can take a box with me to work or leave them in a bag for emergencies. I've found one that has no added sugar, is vegan, and actually tastes good. I actually count it as a fruit/vegetable serving and it has a lot of vitamins: Dr. Schulze's Superfood bar in cinnamon apple crunch. You can find them at herbdoc.com
    Yes, they are very expensive, but I bought them on a buy 2 boxes, get one box free sale with free shipping. Came out to $2.11 a bar.
  • GreenEyedLady1
    Options
    totally think it depends on the ones you eat. as many have mentioned, quest bars actually arent too bad, and they can really help me meat my protein macros which is hard for me to do sometimes.
  • delta1227
    delta1227 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i have wanted to try quest because I thought it was low or no sugar. is that true? I will eat extend bars or think thin bars because they are no sugar. but each has its own problems.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Generally if I need a quick fix on a break I eat BioNutritional Power Crunch. Either the Chocolate or Peanut Butter bars. Thats pretty much the only ones I can eat without a ton of sugar or headache producing artificial sweeteners.
  • sr72090
    Options
    1. they taste good and are convenient
    2. not all of them are bad, ingredients wise (but most are)
    3. 1 aint going to kill you, neither will 2, or 3, or 4 and etc

Think back to the time BEFORE you started to eat "healthy". Did you consume a lot of junk food, fast food, overly processed food? For how many years? Are you still alive? I rest my case.

Seriously!
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I've been on both sides of the issue. I started eating PowerBars and Met-RX bars when I was doing a lot of cycling in 1995 and soon added Clif Bars to the mix. They also served me well when I was doing a lot of running.

That said, the sugar in them is addictive and they became a snack food and meal replacement food, along with drinks like Nutrament. I stopped eating them in September 2012, with the exception of eating a Clif Bar during a fitness event back in September.

Currently I stay away from the bars unless I'm doing an event or workout where I might need protein/energy on the fly.