waist matters

Options
Will running help in reducing my waist? my waist is 38, I want to come down to 28-30.I workout 5-6 days a week and my workout goes like this- Jillian Michaels, Fitness blender and I manage to squeeze in Brisk walking 4-5 times a week. I maintain a fairly clean diet but still my waist size refuses to budge. Please help me with tips about how you did it ? Thanks!!:smile:

Replies

• tegalicious
    Options
    I didn't start losing belly fat until the last five pounds of my forty pound weightloss. And I still have a teeny tiny bit of a pooch but I don't think that is going anywhere until I can start lifting heavy. But I have also come to terms with the fact that everyone in my family carries fat on their belly and have accepted this last little bit as genetics and am okay if it doesn't go away. Sometimes you have to come to terms with genetics and accept your body for what it is. So be patient, continue to eat within your calorie limit, exercise and add in some heavy lifting and see where that takes you.
  • Tweety1983
    Tweety1983 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Will running help in reducing my waist? my waist is 38, I want to come down to 28-30.I workout 5-6 days a week and my workout goes like this- Jillian Michaels, Fitness blender and I manage to squeeze in Brisk walking 4-5 times a week. I maintain a fairly clean diet but still my waist size refuses to budge. Please help me with tips about how you did it ? Thanks!!:smile:
    It's going to come down to body fat % and that's usually a nutrition issue. Eating "clean" doesn't matter as much as how much you're intaking.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Nmt100
    Nmt100 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Initially yes you may lose inches running as your core muscles will have to work hard to stabilise you. Especially if running outside with proper form. You will however, adapt pretty quickly to running. My advice is run if you want to, I absolute love running, but to lose inches you need to be strength training and that training needs to progressively be adding weight/stress to the muscle. Whether you want to start with a weight lifting programme such as stronglifts 5x5 or calisthenic training such as you are your own gym or even want to stick with some of the body strength fitness blender videos using progressively heavier dumbbells is up to you but running alone is unlikely to help in the long term.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Initially yes you may lose inches running as your core muscles will have to work hard to stabilise you. Especially if running outside with proper form. You will however, adapt pretty quickly to running. My advice is run if you want to, I absolute love running, but to lose inches you need to be strength training and that training needs to progressively be adding weight/stress to the muscle. Whether you want to start with a weight lifting programme such as stronglifts 5x5 or calisthenic training such as you are your own gym or even want to stick with some of the body strength fitness blender videos using progressively heavier dumbbells is up to you but running alone is unlikely to help in the long term.

That last bit isn't unequivocally true. I pretty much only run. My 'lifting' regimen is push-ups, pull-ups, dips, and planks. Body weight only. I do run a lot though. If the OP isn't progressing their run distances, they'll see the benefits taper off. I run about 35 miles per week and increase the mileage for race training as needed.
    I went from 190 lbs to 145 lbs this way. I haven't formally measured my waist, but at 190 34" pants were uncomfortably snug, and now at 145, my 32' pants need a belt or they literally fall off without unbuttoning.

Lifting is good in addition to running because while running burns 'gas in the tank', lifting 'builds a bigger engine'.
    However , you can absolutely lose inches by running alone. There is virtually no more effeceint calorie-burning method than running.