Squatting and smith maching

Options
So I heard that squatting with a smith machine was not good for you because of the unnatural motion. Its more of the up and down motion and not really allowing you to naturally squat. Anyone else hear this? Or does anyone else squat with the smith machine?

Replies

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Using the smith machine doesn't give you the true benefit of a squat. The smith machine takes away a lot of the stabilizing work that other muscles do when doing a real squat. I have heard some people say it is easier to get injured on a smith. That I don't get.
  • erikamadden84
    erikamadden84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I guess I can see that its easier to get hurt. Only because your not properly performing the squat. Your kind of restricting yourself to an unnatural movements. They say we learn how to squat properly when we first learn to walk.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    A lot of people hate on the smith machine. Personally, I haven't yet found a use for it. You would be better off squatting, incline pressing, whatever with a normal barbell. You're missing out on a lot of balance and stabilization work. I don't know if it is really easier to get injured, I just see no point in using it.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Using the smith machine doesn't give you the true benefit of a squat. The smith machine takes away a lot of the stabilizing work that other muscles do when doing a real squat. I have heard some people say it is easier to get injured on a smith. That I don't get.

^^ this. It is a whole new game when you go from squatting in a smith machine to squatting in a rack. I had to drop 20-40lbs off my squat when I switched!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It forces you into a more vertical position, it puts excess stress on your knee joints, and can blow them out. It also stresses your back because of the unnatural squatting angle. Plus it allows you to unrack any weight, whether you can safely hold it or not.
  • teaparty75
    Options
    i could definitely see how if i starting squatting without the the smith machine i'd probably need to take some weight off ...but its all i have access to at the moment ....i'm new to lifting so the stability makes me feel "Safer"
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    the smith machine is good for
    >a seat resting between reps
    > a place to hang the towel so it' snot on the floor
    > inverted row
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    > inverted row

Also good for incline pull ups and push ups! :wink:
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    i could definitely see how if i starting squatting without the the smith machine i'd probably need to take some weight off ...but its all i have access to at the moment ....i'm new to lifting so the stability makes me feel "Safer"

I know what you mean, but honestly, get into a regular rack as soon as you can. A good spotter can make you feel just as safe, if not safer. I've been squatting in a regular rack for almost a year now. I only use a spotter ( big, strong guy) for my heaviest sets...the rest of the time the safety bars are fine.

this is me squatting in the regualr rack last week
    [flash=http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=137818]width="400" height="300" flashvars="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=6bbc9ef399&photo_id=10903780953" bgcolor="#000000" allowFullScreen="true"[/flash]

this is me in the smith machine last year
    [flash=http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=137818]width="400" height="300" flashvars="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=54faf649bd&photo_id=8303477157" bgcolor="#000000" allowFullScreen="true"[/flash]
  • kelerlee33
    Options
    Also do bodyweight squats for endurance
  • sugamonstaa
    sugamonstaa Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I heard the smith machine gives you unnatural motion which is why it's bad for you. Barbell squat is far more superior because you're using your core to balance and it's harder!

I used to use the smith machine and when I went from that to squats I had to decrease the weights even more. I love barbell squat so much more now.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    > inverted row

Also good for incline pull ups and push ups! :wink:

Oh good call- I forgot!!!! NICE SAVE!
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

Honestly, I'd start with dumbbell squats if that is what it took to work up to the bar. With the Smith, you are putting extra stress on your knees, back, and hips, and you aren't getting as good of a workout on the muscles that ARE being worked. I squat by myself all the time without fear. Practice dumping weight safely and the safety pins on the rack will be all the spotting you need.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah the smith machine is a huge crutch. Othwise it's good for safety if you don't have a spotter, but...

...that said, squat racks, power racks, and squat stands all have pins that you can drop/place the weight onto if you get caught under the bar. So just practice "bailing" the weight on them a few times and avoid the machine.
  • erikamadden84
    erikamadden84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help everyone! I am in the process of switching gyms. This is the main reason why I am switching. My current gym only has smith machines. I feel like everytime I do squats or deadlifts, my back is on fire. So I am okay with paying a little more a month than live with an injury to my back forever.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    If your foot placement is good, the smith shouldn't hurt your back. The bar should be right above the center of your foot throughout the movement regardless. The problem is that squatting in the smith doesn't work the muscles that help you hold it there because it does it for you.